[Micronet] Friday's Micronet picture

12

[Micronet] Friday's Micronet picture

Bruce Satow
I found an old external CD -R unit.   It's made by Micronet / Advantage.

photo.JPG (32K) Download Attachment

Re: [Micronet] Friday's Micronet picture

Graham Patterson

Don't drop it. You could destroy Micronet...

Graham

On 4/26/13 12:26 PM, Bruce Satow wrote:

> I found an old external CD -R unit.   It's made by Micronet / Advantage.

Re: [Micronet] Friday's Micronet picture

Patrick McGrath
I thought it said micronot. Which would also be true.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 26, 2013, at 12:34 PM, Graham Patterson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Don't drop it. You could destroy Micronet...
>
> Graham
>

> On 4/26/13 12:26 PM, Bruce Satow wrote:
>> I found an old external CD -R unit.   It's made by Micronet / Advantage.

> Graham Patterson, Systems Administrator
> Lawrence Hall of Science, UC Berkeley   510-643-2222
> "...past the iguana, the tyrannosaurus, the mastodon, the mathematical
> puzzles, and the meteorite..." - directions to my office.

Re: [Micronet] Friday's Micronet picture

Aron Roberts

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 12:34 PM, Graham Patterson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Don't drop it. You could destroy Micronet...

And we'd lose our Advantage ...

Aron

Re: [Micronet] Friday's other Micronet picture

Baril

Hi all,

Couldn't resist.... here it is.... the 8" floppy disk!  It's big; it's actually floppy.... enjoy!

Roy

--
Roy A. Baril
Director of Technology

floppy disk.jpg (387K) Download Attachment

Re: [Micronet] Friday's other Micronet picture

Guy D. VINSON
Maybe a prize should be offered for the oldest technology on this campus... Sort of like honoring the last survivor of the Titanic.

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 1:27 PM, Baril <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all,

Couldn't resist.... here it is.... the 8" floppy disk!  It's big; it's actually floppy.... enjoy!

Roy

--
Roy A. Baril
Director of Technology
Graduate School of Journalism
University of California
121 North Gate Hall
Berkeley, CA 94720
510-643-9215 -- Work
510-643-9136 -- Fax
925-352-9543 -- Cell

Guy Vinson
Infrastructure & IT
College of Environmental Design
University of California at Berkeley

Re: [Micronet] Friday's other Micronet picture

Kin Jung
I know technology budgets are tight, but that's ridiculous Roy!
Time for an upgrade ;-)

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 1:27 PM, Baril <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all,

Couldn't resist.... here it is.... the 8" floppy disk!  It's big; it's actually floppy.... enjoy!

Roy

--
Roy A. Baril
Director of Technology
Graduate School of Journalism
University of California
121 North Gate Hall
Berkeley, CA 94720
510-643-9215 -- Work
510-643-9136 -- Fax
925-352-9543 -- Cell

Kin San Jung
University of California, Berkeley
Information Services & Technology
2111 Bancroft Way, #441L
Berkeley, CA 94720-4880

tel.+1 510.642.0239
fax.+1  510.643.7775

Re: [Micronet] Friday's other Micronet picture

Aron Roberts
Oh, gawd, Roy ... Thanks for this TGIF throwback! I distinctly remember working with these very beasties - you could shake these huge 8" 'floppies' and make cool 'wobbly' noises noises - back in 1983.

While in grad school, I had a part-time job doing word processing, using WordStar, typing on a green phosphor-screen Televideo terminal connected to an S-100 bus CompuPro CP/M system. (One blessing: at least it wasn't an ADM-3A, which we still had in many computer labs at Cal during that era!)

That system looked much like this one, sans the terminal:
http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?c=651&st=1

Noted among its specs: "External 8'' F.D. drives".

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 1:27 PM, Baril <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all,

Couldn't resist.... here it is.... the 8" floppy disk!  It's big; it's actually floppy.... enjoy!

Roy

--
Roy A. Baril
Director of Technology
Graduate School of Journalism
University of California
121 North Gate Hall
Berkeley, CA 94720

Re: [Micronet] Friday's other Micronet picture

We found an Apple IIe last week. Moved a few boxes, and there it was.

Graham

On 4/26/13 1:27 PM, Baril wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Couldn't resist.... here it is.... the 8" floppy disk!  It's big; it's
> actually floppy.... enjoy!
>
> Roy
>

> --
> Roy A. Baril
> Director of Technology
> Graduate School of Journalism
> University of California
> 121 North Gate Hall
> Berkeley, CA 94720
> 510-643-9215 -- Work
> 510-643-9136 -- Fax
> 925-352-9543 -- Cell

Re: [Micronet] Friday's other Micronet picture

And your backups fit on that? Must be all that tweeting.

G.

On 4/26/13 1:27 PM, Baril wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Couldn't resist.... here it is.... the 8" floppy disk!  It's big; it's
> actually floppy.... enjoy!
>
> Roy
>

> --
> Roy A. Baril
> Director of Technology
> Graduate School of Journalism
> University of California
> 121 North Gate Hall
> Berkeley, CA 94720
> 510-643-9215 -- Work
> 510-643-9136 -- Fax
> 925-352-9543 -- Cell

Re: [Micronet] Friday's other Micronet picture

Kevin Burney

This was my first computer.

Radio Shack TRS-80

4K of memory

http://oldcomputers.net/trs80i.html

-Kevin

Re: [Micronet] Friday's other Micronet picture

Mike Friedman
On 2013-04-26 14:29, Graham Patterson wrote:
> We found an Apple IIe last week. Moved a few boxes, and there it was.

FWIW, I still have my ADM-3A terminal, right next to me as I sit here at
home.  I got this terminal in 1979 (along with a 300bps acoustic coupler
for dial-in use), right after joining the (pre-IST) mainframe systems
programming group (SPG) in Evans Hall.  Just a few years ago, I could
still use the ADM-3A temporarily to check my email when my PC's hard
disk crashed.  I was using elm as my email client (which was running on
a campus machine, to which I dialed in) when this happened.  Now, of
course, it would be rather difficult to check mail, either with anything
like Thunderbird or a webmail interface, using that terminal!  At this
point, I don't know of any way to connect the ADM-3A from home to
anything on campus.

Mike

--
Mike Friedman
[hidden email]

Re: [Micronet] Friday's other Micronet picture

Christopher Brooks
I'm just curious, does anyone have a 1/2" 9 track Mag tape reader on campus?
The last one I knew about was in the EECS Microlab, but it has been long gone.

I was going to look in the micronet archives, but a quick search found http://micronet.berkeley.edu/, which only has 2010 and later.  So maybe a better question is:  Where are the old micronet archives?

On a similar vein about old technology, see Texas Company's Antique Computers Are For Production, Not Display
http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/13/04/25/1610244/texas-companys-antique-computers-are-for-production-not-display

FWIW - I have an IBM AT stashed away in a lab.  I'm not sure if it runs.

However, the oldest technology is probably fire, the wheel or pottery, depending on your definition.

That pot you made in kindergarten will probably outlast everything else you've done.  :-|

_Christopher

On 2013-04-26 14:29, Graham Patterson wrote:
We found an Apple IIe last week. Moved a few boxes, and there it was.
FWIW, I still have my ADM-3A terminal, right next to me as I sit here at
home.  I got this terminal in 1979 (along with a 300bps acoustic coupler
for dial-in use), right after joining the (pre-IST) mainframe systems
programming group (SPG) in Evans Hall.  Just a few years ago, I could
still use the ADM-3A temporarily to check my email when my PC's hard
disk crashed.  I was using elm as my email client (which was running on
a campus machine, to which I dialed in) when this happened.  Now, of
course, it would be rather difficult to check mail, either with anything
like Thunderbird or a webmail interface, using that terminal!  At this
point, I don't know of any way to connect the ADM-3A from home to
anything on campus.

Mike

Academic Program Manager & Software Engineer  US Mail: 337 Cory Hall
CHESS/iCyPhy/Ptolemy/TerraSwarm               Berkeley, CA 94720-1774
[hidden email], 707.332.0670           (Office: 545Q Cory)

Re: [Micronet] Friday's other Micronet picture

Alex Warren

We have a working NEXT computer… and it’s not for sale.

Alex Warren

Facility Services IT

University of California, Berkeley

2000 Carleton St., Room 240

Berkeley, CA 94720

On 2013-04-26 14:29, Graham Patterson wrote:
[...]

Christopher Brooks, PMP                       University of California
Academic Program Manager & Software Engineer  US Mail: 337 Cory Hall
CHESS/iCyPhy/Ptolemy/TerraSwarm               Berkeley, CA 94720-1774
[hidden email], 707.332.0670           (Office: 545Q Cory)

Re: [Micronet] Friday's other Micronet picture

Patrick Schmitz

I spent quite a few hours as an undergrad in the basement of Evans coding on one of these:

http://iamvirtual.ca/collection/systems/minis/PDP11-10/BootMUBASIC-PDP11-10.jpg

Yeah, I was here that long ago…

Patrick

Re: [Micronet] Friday's other Micronet picture

Jon Johnsen-3
But when I was an undergrad at Berkeley, my coding was done on a machine which looked like this in one of the T buildings:

File:IBM26.jpg

Jon Johnsen
Richmond, CA

On 4/26/2013 3:40 PM, Patrick Schmitz wrote:

I spent quite a few hours as an undergrad in the basement of Evans coding on one of these:

http://iamvirtual.ca/collection/systems/minis/PDP11-10/BootMUBASIC-PDP11-10.jpg

Yeah, I was here that long ago…

Patrick

Re: [Micronet] Friday's other Micronet picture

Patrick Schmitz

Yeah, did a lot on those too. Remember the ritual at end of quarter (before the switch to semesters), which folks would dump their card decks off the roof of the dorms?

And then, there were the periodic frat-boy runs to collect the chad from these machines to toss as confetti at football games. Ah, the good old days…

Re: [Micronet] Friday's other Micronet picture

Beth Muramoto
Talk about a lovely conversation thread of waxing nostalgic! This brightened my day Thanks for the laughs!

Beth

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 1:27 PM, Baril <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all,

Couldn't resist.... here it is.... the 8" floppy disk!  It's big; it's actually floppy.... enjoy!

Roy

--
Roy A. Baril
Director of Technology
Graduate School of Journalism
University of California
121 North Gate Hall
Berkeley, CA 94720
510-643-9215 -- Work
510-643-9136 -- Fax
925-352-9543 -- Cell

Beth Muramoto
Computer Resource Specialist
Graduate School of Education
University of California, Berkeley
1650 Tolman Hall
Berkeley, CA 94720
Email:  mailto:[hidden email]
Phone:  (510) 643-0203
Fax:  (510) 643-6239

The Formula for Success:  Underpromise, overdeliver.
- Tom Peters

You have to decide what your highest priorities are and have the courage to say 'no' to other things."

-Stephen Covey

I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

-Coleman Cox

Re: [Micronet] Friday's other Micronet picture

Nils Ohlson
Oh my,

That keypunch looks WAY too familiar! I can remember having to use one for SPSS coding when I took "Statistics for the Social Sciences" from Prof. Friedman, and praying that I hadn't made some stupid mistake, but
​*​
knowing
​*​
I had, and wouldn't find out until I collected my output at some unpleasant hour, and....

I tell my kids about the things we had to do to even use a computer, and it's like describing some weird ritual people did thousands of years ago. Of course they don't believe me...

​-Nils​

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 3:55 PM, Jon Johnsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
But when I was an undergrad at Berkeley, my coding was done on a machine which looked like this in one of the T buildings:

Jon Johnsen
Richmond, CA

<snip>​​
--
Nils Ohlson
Administrative Analyst

(510) 642-1325 phone
(510) 642-4313 fax

gts

Re: [Micronet] Friday's other Micronet picture

gts
Funny, all of you youngsters reminiscing about such modern computing technology :-). Terminals, modems, floppy disks Oh My!

Any lurkers out there still remember the IBM 7040/7090 Direct Couple system in basement of Campbell Hall? Maybe Dave Wasley?

greg