[Micronet] Fwd: Announcing: 2012 "IT in Education" Exposition

[Micronet] Fwd: Announcing: 2012 "IT in Education" Exposition

Scot Hacker
Joe McLain of UCSB asked me to pass this on to the Micronet list.

./s

Begin forwarded message:

From: Joe McLain <[hidden email]>
Subject: Announcing: 2012 "IT in Education" Exposition
Date: March 22, 2012 10:06:48 AM PDT

2012 "IT in Education" Exposition

Friday, May 18, 2012 @ UC Santa Barbara

We are excited to announce this year's 2012 "IT in Education" Exposition, hosted at UCSB. This event will be an opportunity for Information Technology staff in education throughout California (K-12 and Higher Education) to come together to talk with vendors, listen to technical presentations, and network with their peers in an environment revolving solely around their needs.

As IT staff who support technology in education ourselves, we've built this event just for you. In addition to a large number of vendors prepared to speak to IT staff, there will be technical presentations by many vendors as well as peer discussion forums covering a variety of topics revolving around providing and supporting IT solutions for education. Refreshments will be served all day, a larger lunch will be provided, raffle items will be given away, and an IT museum will be set up featuring old hardware and software reaching all the way back to the days of punch cards and ticker tape machines. Best of all, there is no cost to attend - even parking is free!

We've taken the best of other similar, successful events and combine them to form an event that is packed with information. Many of our peers agree that multi-day events can add too many incidental costs, such as lodging and food, and we implemented that feedback to create a jam-packed single-day event. By broadening the focus to include K-12 and Higher Ed, we're fulfilling our mission of providing the most information possible to the greatest number of people in our community. The expo will also facilitate personal networking among technical staff using similar technologies. We already have participants coming from San Francisco to the north and San Diego from the south so the chance to network here is fantastic.

What can you do to take advantage of this opportunity? Please bookmark the event's web site and check back regularly to see what vendors will be attending, what technical presentations will be delivered, and what discussion forums are planned.

How can you help? There are several things we can use your help with:

     1. Distribute this e-mail widely through your organization and among your peers at other K-12 and Higher Ed institutions (public and private). We're bringing people together to help all of our peers and we want to make sure that everyone who can benefit from the event knows about it.
     2. Forward this message to vendors with whom you work, and tell us which vendors have products you're interested in. We will be happy to contact vendors and invite them to the expo.
     3. Registration is not required, but it would be appreciated! The logistics of an event of this magnitude are daunting and we're staying on top of it, but it would be very helpful to have an idea of how many people are coming and from where. You can register with one click from the expo home page. And don't worry - your e-mail address will be safe with us. We hate spam just as much as you do, and are specifically telling our sponsors that we will not share attendee information with them.
     4. Give us your input! Please tell us what discussion topics you would like to see in our peer discussion forums. Networking and sharing ideas with colleagues will be one of the most valuable resources available at this event, and we want to facilitate discussions that will benefit as many members of our IT community as possible. We are committed to making this an extraordinary event and our planning revolves around your needs. The discussion forums, in fact, came about because of a suggestion from an attendee.

The response we've had from vendors and attendees thus far has been exciting and there is a lot of energy surrounding this event. We've already seen registrations from IT staff as far South as San Diego and as far North as San Francisco so this truly is a statewide event.

If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail or call me any time. We hope you're excited about this event as we are, and look forward to seeing you there!

Joe.

Joseph D. McLain
User Support Group Leader and Windows Systems Administrator
UCSB 2012 IT in Education Exposition Event Coordinator (http://expo.it.ucsb.edu)

University of California, Santa Barbara
Life Sciences Computing Group
Life Sciences Building, Room 2310
Santa Barbara, CA 93106-9625

Supporting the Department of Ecology, Evolution and Marine Biology,
                   the Department of Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology, and
                   the Neuroscience Research Institute
Contact:
 LSCG e-mail: [hidden email]
 Expo e-mail: [hidden email]
 Voice: 805.893.4699
 Cell: 805.291.6146

Scot Hacker
Senior Software Developer @ CalCentral
Educational Technology Services, UC Berkeley

(510) 292-5586