[Micronet] [Fwd: CAN June 1 Meeting Reminder: Data Presentation Overview and Boot Camp]

[Micronet] [Fwd: CAN June 1 Meeting Reminder: Data Presentation Overview and Boot Camp]

James Kent Dudek
CAN June 1 Meeting Reminder: Data Presentation Overview a Dear All,

This is the first class in our upcoming data summer school series.   Please note that this, and all other classes, will be archived and streamed.

Hope to see you there!

James

CAN June 1 Meeting Reminder: Data Presentation Overview a
Please Excuse Duplications!
Please Forward Widely!

======================================

The Cal Assessment Network (CAN*), in association with BPAWG, the Policy Analysts Roundtable, and the Office of Planning and Analysis, presents the first in an 8-session summer series on "Turning Data Into Information - Tools, Tips and Training":

Summer Series Overview and Data Presentation Boot Camp (aka Tufte in Twenty Minutes)

This meeting will be streamed live and archived at http://www.ustream.tv/channel/can-at-berkeley

Presenters:
Erin Gore, Chair, Institutional Data Council
Alfred Apilio Jocson, Analyst, Human Resources
Katie Dustin, Chair, Cal Assessment Network
James Dudek, Chair, Business Process Analysts Working Group
Greg Dubrow, Chair, Policy Analysts Roundtable
Pamela Brown, Analytical Studies Coordinator, Office of Planning and Anaysis
Russ Acker, Institutional Research Analyst, Office of Planning and Analysis

Date:  Tuesday, June 1
Time:  10:30 - 12:00
Place:  60 Barrows

This session is the first of eight to be offered this summer about data presentation tools.  Erin Gore will kick off the summer series by describing how this effort to improve the presentation of information supports the Institutional Data Management Initiative.

The bulk of the meeting will address tips to consider when creating tables and charts, focusing on the principles put forth by Edward Tufte.  Examples of data representations will be discussed and made available after the meeting on the Institutional Data Management website.

The meeting will conclude with a brief overview of the tools to be presented in each session throughout the summer.  The tools were chosen based on a survey of campus staff.

Lunch:  After the meeting, please join the presenters at the Faculty Club for a no-host lunch and the opportunity to continue the discussion.

Everyone welcome; no need to RSVP.

Summer Series Schedule
Summer Series Overview & Presentation Boot Camp (aka Tufte in Twenty Minutes)
Tuesday, June 1, 10:30-12:00 pm, 60 Barrows

Let's Get Organized:  bSpace to Google Docs
Thursday, June 24, 3:00-4:30 pm, 60 Barrows

What Did They Say?  Tools to Present Survey Data
Tuesday, July 6, 10:30-12:00 pm, 60 Barrows

Infographics:  Tools to Present a Lot of Data in a Condensed Space
Tuesday, July 13, 10:00-11:30 am, 60 Barrows

Web Tools:  From Google Charts to Screen Casting
Thursday, July 22, 3:00-4:30 pm, 60 Barrows

How to Create a Supergraphic
Tuesday, August 3, 10:30-12:00 pm, 60 Barrows

Framing Your Message:  Panel Discussion on Creating Handouts and Presentation Materials
Tuesday, August 10, 10:00-11:30 am, 60 Barrows

>From A to B:  Presenting Process Maps and Redesign Tools
Thursday, August 26, 3:00-4:30 pm, 60 Barrows

* The Cal Assessment Network offers the UC community a forum where like-minded colleagues can make connections, find support, receive training and share best practices on the topic of assessment. Monthly meetings, a list-serve, and a bSpace provide avenues for discussing a broad range of topics, including but not limited to:

o Assessment Methods
o Learning Outcomes
o Communicating About Assessment
o Strategic Plan Evaluation
o Academic Program Reviews
o Student Services Assessment

Membership is open to all campus staff.

Katie Dustin
Project/Policy Analyst and Adviser
College of Letters and Science
University of California, Berkeley
113 Campbell Hall, #2924
Berkeley, CA  94720-2924
Phone:  510-642-8740
Fax:  510-642-2372
Email:  [hidden email]

Cal Assessment Network

--
James Kent Dudek
Business Systems Analyst

What is Kuali Student?
http://student.kuali.org/

Business Process Analysis Working Group (BPAWG)
http://stafforg.berkeley.edu/bpawg/

Date:  Tuesday, June 1
Time:  10:30 - 12:00