[Micronet] Fwd: Website security certificate message on CalTime

[Micronet] Fwd: Website security certificate message on CalTime

Christopher Brooks
Ok, so Caltime is training the campus to ignore certificate warnings?

By my calendar, April Fools' Day is tomorrow.

Perhaps it could be a best practice to take this machine offline until the cert was updated.

_Christopher

[Micronet] Possible new bug variant on Windows?

Bruce Satow

I'm not sure about this, but there seems to be some type of trojan.win32.scar variant floating around that is some how linked with search type malware or PUP like conduit.

MSE, Symantec, Malwarebytes, Defender, MSert, did not detect it.

However, when I ran Emsisoft Anti-Malware (free 30 day trial) it found it.

http://www.emsisoft.com/en/

Note:  this program may disable your current anti-malware/anti-virus software after installation.  What I did was download it, ran it, and cleaned up what it found and then uninstalled it.  Afterwards, your old programs will be functional again.

I also found some odd registry entries using JRT (junkware removal tool), Adwcleaner, and rkill.

Which are available for download from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/

If anyone has some time, I was wondering if they could run some of these programs to let me know what they find.   I'm curious.

Maybe it one of the first waves of XP exploits....

--

Bruce Satow
Systems Administrator

Re: [Micronet] Possible new bug variant on Windows?

Guy D. VINSON
Just curious... are you still running XP? Or a better question might be how many people on campus are still running XP. More academic since I just recently retired but like to keep my hand in.

Guy Vinson

Guy Vinson
510-842-7199

On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 10:07 AM, Bruce Satow <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Hi Guy,

Nope.   I'm running 8.1 and found it on a 2008 R2 server.   I'm checking all our critical machines now.  We have upgraded our computers to Win 7 32 or 64 bit.

After April 8th, Microsoft won't be updating the MSE on XP so I figure the wave of new variants are starting, but they'll hit the newer OS's too!

:)
-Bruce

On 4/1/2014 10:12 AM, Guy D. VINSON wrote:
[...]

Seth Novogrodsky
Microsoft Security Essentials will continue to be updated on XP until July 14, 2015. See <http://blogs.technet.com/b/mmpc/archive/2014/01/15/microsoft-antimalware-support-for-windows-xp.aspx>.

(Of course, people should get off of XP ASAP in any case.)

Seth

On 4/1/2014 10:45 AM, Bruce Satow wrote:
[...]

Department of Economics and College of Letters & Science

Re: [Micronet] Possible new bug variant on Windows?

Bruce Satow
Interestingly though, if you do the latest XP update, there is a package called XP end of life which warns you about getting a new anti-virus.

I've been pointing people to the free version of AVG anti-virus.    I used to point them to Avast, but it's "noisy"   LoL!

On 4/1/2014 1:28 PM, Seth Novogrodsky wrote:
[...]

paul rivers

If you can't retire XP by the expiration date, please do be sure to file
for an exception.

Successfully getting an exception in advance will prevent the machine
from being blocked from the campus network.

To apply for an exception, you will need to have:

 - The IP(s) and/or MAC(s) of the devices in question
 - The data protection level of information processed by the device
 - What quantities of data for protection levels 1 and above
 - What compensating controls you have implemented
 - The length of time you need an exception
 - The plan for the retirement/replacement of the XP system

This is described in more detail here:

https://security.berkeley.edu/content/windows-xp-end-life

Regards,
Paul