[Micronet] Fwd: [eecs-announce] LBNL/CS Distinguished Lecture by Vint Cerf, TODAY 1:20-2:30pm

[Micronet] Fwd: [eecs-announce] LBNL/CS Distinguished Lecture by Vint Cerf, TODAY 1:20-2:30pm

Steve Chan

   Sounds like an interesting talk - have to get up to the Lab for it though.

Steve Chan
[hidden email]
Manager - Enterprise Integration Services, IST-API
SIS Project Integration/Interfaces Team
2111 Bancroft Way office 502A
Berkeley, CA 94720-4990

From: Kathy Yelick <[hidden email]>
Date: Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 6:57 AM
To: [hidden email]
Cc: Lisa Theobald <[hidden email]>

2011-VintCerf-3.jpg
Vint Cerf

Safety, Security and Privacy in the Internet of Things

Vinton G. Cerf, Vice President and Chief Internet Evangelist for Google
50B Auditorium at LBNL
January 27th, 1:30-2:30, followed by Q&A 2:30-3:00

We are surrounded by an increasing number of Internet-enabled devices. They measure, control and carry out tasks on our behalf. But they are software artifacts and subject to mistakes - leading to risks of penetration, abuse and re-purposing. Think '100,000 refrigerators take over Bank of America!' It is incumbent on software and systems design engineers to think through these seriously negative scenarios to defend these devices and their users from harm. I have more questions than answers but I hope a discussion will produce some new insights. Strong authentication and cryptography may help to solve some of these problems but have their own implementation challenges. The general public has a role to play with regard to achieving access control, for example.

Cerf is the co-designer of the TCP/IP protocols and the architecture of the Internet. He has served in executive positions at MCI, the Corporation for National Research Initiatives and the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency and on the faculty of Stanford University.  More information is available here.

Katherine Yelick
Professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences
525 Soda Hall, #1776
University of California at Berkeley

Questions to [hidden email].

--
"Sow a thought, reap an action. Sow an action, reap a habit. Sow a habit, reap a character. Sow a character, reap a destiny." - Samuel Smiles

message-footer.txt (422 bytes) Download Attachment