[Micronet] GnuPG upgrade question

Mike Friedman
I'm posting this here because my attempts to get a definitive answer in all the "appropriate" places seem hopeless.

On my Windows 8.1 PC I've been running gnupg for Windows,  release 1.4.19, along with GPGShell that supports it.  This works fine, but now I'm told by Thunderbird that my Enigmail add-on soon will support only GnuPG 2.x and that I must therefore upgrade my version of gpg.

Here's my question:  can I replace gnupg 1.4.19 with GnuPG 2.4 (actually gpg4win) and continue to use my existing keys (of which I have a lot)?  (That is, are the pubkey and seckey files compatible and kept in the same place)? Also, I have important files that are encrypted in my own key and I want to keep that key as my default.  (I don't want to be forced to generate new keys after the upgrade).

Unfortunately, I suspect (but don't know for sure) that GPGshell doesn't support GnuPG 2.x, so my other question is whether there is a front end GUI for gpg4win that would replace it.  Some documentation I found at the GnuPG site says that one shouldn't install gpg4win without first un-installing gnupg 1.4.x, so I see no easy way for me even to find my answers by trial and error.  I really don't want to lose my keys inadvertently by playing around with this too much.

I'd appreciate an answer from someone who has actually moved from Windows gnupgp 1.4.x to GnuPG 2.x and continued to use existing keys and encrypted files.  Or, if you can point me to documentation that addresses this issue explicitly, that would be good too.

Thanks.

Mike
--
Mike Friedman
[hidden email]

Re: [Micronet] GnuPG upgrade question -- Resolved

Mike Friedman
FYI:

I decided to find the answer myself by taking advantage of the fact that I still have my old computer on which I recently brought up a test version of Windows 8.1.  I downloaded and installed the latest gpg4win onto that system and checked it out.  It looks good!  I exported my public and private keys from the old gnugpg and then imported them into gpg4win;  everything works as it should.  As for a GUI interface to replace GPGShell, gpg4win comes with its own, reasonably rich, interface, as well as integration into Windows Explorer.

So, I upgraded to gpg4win on my new Windows 8.1 system and pointed Enigmail to the new GnuPG.  It appears to work as it should.

Mike