[Micronet] Good reason to update to OS4.2.1

[Micronet] Good reason to update to OS4.2.1

Yau-Man Chan
Ok one good reason to update your iPhone/iPad to the new iOS4.2.1 is to have the "Find My iPhone" feature available without having to subscribe to Mobile Me.  I just tried it on my iPhone and iPad and it works great.

You still have to register on Mobile Me but without having to pay (and you wont' get email or storage) you get only the location feature.  If you install the Find My IPhone app on you iPhone or iPad, you can use it to find your device or just use the web "me.com/find" and find iPhones and iPads you registered with Mobile Me.  Once you find your device, you can remotely lock it, or wiped it or just send a screen message with a tone.   I tried out the remote WIPE feature and it does wipe all your data in the device.

Way cool!!

Yau-Man

Re: [Micronet] Good reason to update to OS4.2.1

Greg Merritt

On Nov 22, 2010, at 8:17 PM, Yau-Man Chan wrote:

>  If you install the Find My IPhone app on you iPhone or iPad, you
> can use it to find your device

Is that the iApp that says "Your device is right in front of you!"
when you fire it up? :)

I like AirPrint to a printer shared by a Mac:

http://netputing.com/2010/11/11/airprint-hacktivator/

Hopefully they make it official soon, and add Windows shared printer
support.

Re: [Micronet] Good reason to update to OS4.2.1

Aaron DuBois

"at launch, AirPrint only supports printing to 10 select HP printers"

On 11/23/2010 8:53 AM, Greg Merritt wrote:

> On Nov 22, 2010, at 8:17 PM, Yau-Man Chan wrote:
>
>>   If you install the Find My IPhone app on you iPhone or iPad, you
>> can use it to find your device
>

> Is that the iApp that says "Your device is right in front of you!"
> when you fire it up? :)
>
> I like AirPrint to a printer shared by a Mac:
>
> http://netputing.com/2010/11/11/airprint-hacktivator/
>
> Hopefully they make it official soon, and add Windows shared printer
> support.
>
> -Greg

Aaron DuBois
Sociology Tech
489 Barrows Hall
Mon-Thur 10:30am-5:00pm
Fri 8:30-am-3pm
510-643-9389
Department Web Master
Department IST Security Officer
Department Equipment Custodian
CalNet Deputy

Re: [Micronet] Good reason to update to OS4.2.1

Greg Merritt
What's this "supports" of which you speak? ;)

I'm printing happily -- albeit unsupportedly -- to an antique HP
LaserJet 1012 via the method in the link I posted. :)

-Greg

On Nov 23, 2010, at 9:10 AM, Aaron DuBois wrote:

> "at launch, AirPrint only supports printing to 10 select HP printers"

Re: [Micronet] Good reason to update to OS4.2.1

Anthony Roybal
If you have $10, Printopia works like a charm, too.

http://www.ecamm.com/mac/printopia/

Tony

On Nov 23, 2010, at 9:26 AM, Greg Merritt wrote:

> What's this "supports" of which you speak? ;)
>
> I'm printing happily -- albeit unsupportedly -- to an antique HP
> LaserJet 1012 via the method in the link I posted. :)
>
> -Greg
>

> On Nov 23, 2010, at 9:10 AM, Aaron DuBois wrote:

>> "at launch, AirPrint only supports printing to 10 select HP printers"

Re: [Micronet] Good reason to update to OS4.2.1

Kevin Burney
I concur with Yau-Man's assessment of this update.  I was paying $10.00 a
month for AT&T's worthless service call Family Map which will give you the
location of the phone within a 1/2 mile radius.  Now I can tell for free
where in the phone is within a couple of feet.  It is much more accurate
plus the ability to wipe remotely without a Microsoft  Exchange
infrastructure is well worth the update.  I tested the remote wipe function
and it basically set the phone back to factory settings within minutes of
the request.  I then had to setup the phone as if it was brand new.

-Kevin

Ok one good reason to update your iPhone/iPad to the new iOS4.2.1 is to have
the "Find My iPhone" feature available without having to subscribe to Mobile
Me.  I just tried it on my iPhone and iPad and it works great.

You still have to register on Mobile Me but without having to pay (and you
wont' get email or storage) you get only the location feature.  If you
install the Find My IPhone app on you iPhone or iPad, you can use it to find
your device or just use the web "me.com/find" and find iPhones and iPads you
registered with Mobile Me.  Once you find your device, you can remotely lock
it, or wiped it or just send a screen message with a tone.
I tried out the remote WIPE feature and it does wipe all your data in the
device.

Way cool!!

Yau-Man

visit the Micronet Web site:

the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means
these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective
employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] [MAGNet] Good reason to update to OS4.2.1

John Kim
One quick note about remote wipe and Find My iPhone feature - once you
remote wipe the phone, you can no longer track the phone using Find My
iPhone.  So whoever has the phone, as Kevin suggests, ends up with a freshly
formatted iPhone.

If you value your data on the phone more than the phone itself, remote wipe
would likely be your best option.  But if you don't want to have to buy
another iPhone and you have a way of quickly retrieving your phone, you may
prefer remote-locking the phone along with a message of possible reward for
returning the phone.

What I wish Apple would implement would be a separate remote wipe function
that leaves intact the Find My iPhone login/config where the configuration
itself is locked by a lock code.

--
John Kim
System and Network Security

Re: [Micronet] [MAGNet] Good reason to update to OS4.2.1

Beth Muramoto
John,

I agree with you.  I guess if I've lost my iphone all I should care
about is that my data is wiped off, but still, I agree with you about
the separate remote wipe option. Granted the odds of getting my phone
back via a good samaritan is unlikely, it might be helpful if it got
dumped into a dumpster, hopefully relatively unharmed so I can "have
my cake and eat it too". Too Pollyanna-ish, perhaps?

Beth

On Nov 29, 2010, at 11:25 AM, John Kim wrote:

> One quick note about remote wipe and Find My iPhone feature - once you
> remote wipe the phone, you can no longer track the phone using Find My
> iPhone.  So whoever has the phone, as Kevin suggests, ends up with a
> freshly
> formatted iPhone.
>
> If you value your data on the phone more than the phone itself,
> remote wipe
> would likely be your best option.  But if you don't want to have to
> buy
> another iPhone and you have a way of quickly retrieving your phone,
> you may
> prefer remote-locking the phone along with a message of possible
> reward for
> returning the phone.
>
> What I wish Apple would implement would be a separate remote wipe
> function
> that leaves intact the Find My iPhone login/config where the
> configuration
> itself is locked by a lock code.
>
> On 11/26/2010 10:39 AM,  Kevin D. Burney wrote:
>> I concur with Yau-Man's assessment of this update.  I was paying
>> $10.00 a
>> month for AT&T's worthless service call Family Map which will give
>> you the
>> location of the phone within a 1/2 mile radius.  Now I can tell for
>> free
>> where in the phone is within a couple of feet.  It is much more
>> accurate
>> plus the ability to wipe remotely without a Microsoft  Exchange
>> infrastructure is well worth the update.  I tested the remote wipe
>> function
>> and it basically set the phone back to factory settings within
>> minutes of
>> the request.  I then had to setup the phone as if it was brand new.
>>
>> -Kevin

Beth Muramoto
Computer Resource Specialist
Graduate School of Education
University of California, Berkeley
1650 Tolman Hall
Berkeley, CA 94720
Email:  mailto:[hidden email]
Phone:  (510) 643-0203
Fax:  (510) 643-6239

The Formula for Success:  Underpromise, overdeliver

                                - Tom Peters

Re: [Micronet] [MAGNet] Good reason to update to OS4.2.1

Adam Carlson-2
One other quick note about the remote wipe capability of the iPhone.  It can be completely circumvented in about 20 seconds by popping out the SIM card.  It is still a useful feature that people can and should use, but I think it's important to recognize that it is far from full-proof (as is the "encryption" scheme on the iphone 3GS/4).

Apple unfortunately took a different (and much weaker) approach than RIM in implementing their encryption scheme and remote wipe capabilities (probably to preserve battery life or something similar).  Not that anyone wants a Blackberry so who cares, but implementation matters and I just wanted people to be aware that these features are not implemented as robustly as they could be.

Still probably fine for most end users, but if you're working with the government on "Top Secret" military plans, please don't rely on the iPhone security model ;).

-Adam

John Kim wrote:

> One quick note about remote wipe and Find My iPhone feature - once you
> remote wipe the phone, you can no longer track the phone using Find My
> iPhone.  So whoever has the phone, as Kevin suggests, ends up with a freshly
> formatted iPhone.
>
> If you value your data on the phone more than the phone itself, remote wipe
> would likely be your best option.  But if you don't want to have to buy
> another iPhone and you have a way of quickly retrieving your phone, you may
> prefer remote-locking the phone along with a message of possible reward for
> returning the phone.
>
> What I wish Apple would implement would be a separate remote wipe function
> that leaves intact the Find My iPhone login/config where the configuration
> itself is locked by a lock code.
>
> On 11/26/2010 10:39 AM,  Kevin D. Burney wrote:
>> I concur with Yau-Man's assessment of this update.  I was paying $10.00 a
>> month for AT&T's worthless service call Family Map which will give you the
>> location of the phone within a 1/2 mile radius.  Now I can tell for free
>> where in the phone is within a couple of feet.  It is much more accurate
>> plus the ability to wipe remotely without a Microsoft  Exchange
>> infrastructure is well worth the update.  I tested the remote wipe function
>> and it basically set the phone back to factory settings within minutes of
>> the request.  I then had to setup the phone as if it was brand new.
>>
>> -Kevin

Chief Security Officer
Information Technology
Residential and Student Service Programs
Tel: 510-643-0631
Email: [hidden email]

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." ~Louis D. Brandeis