[Micronet] Google Apps, update

Richard DeShong-2
I understand that LBNL is using Google Apps.  I'm getting inquiries from
other organizations (such as Pac-10.org) that are interested in cloud type
services.  Is there someone at LBNL that can field questions about "how's it
going"?

I do have the following links to Shel Waggener's excellent articles:

http://inews.berkeley.edu/articles/Apr-May2010/cloud-computing-EQ

http://inews.berkeley.edu/articles/Aug-Sep2010/cloud-computing-EQ2

And I have this link to LBNL's Google Apps pilot:

http://www.lbl.gov/IT/emailandcollaborationtools/google.html

--
Richard DeShong, Information Systems Analyst
Athletic Study Center, UC Berkeley

Re: [Micronet] Google Apps, update

Shelton Waggener
Richard (and micronet community)

While we are continuing to work the issue, we (the UC system)  have
yet to sign a UC wide full contract with Google for cloud services.
However the Berkeley Lab has a contract signed based on their unique
status as a DOE lab and there are other smaller pilots we have under
way in various places.   The contact there might be Adam Stone whom I
have copied and can provide some additional information on their
experiences.

As part of OE-IT work I anticipate coordinating a number of forums on
the pros/cons and process for signing up with cloud based providers.
Some information and services are simply not appropriate for the
cloud, while others lend themselves well to that method of service
delivery.  It is key to get the contracts right as there are may
potential challenges that could run a foul of various compliance
issues (policy and law) that all IT professionals providing guidance
on these services need to be aware of.   While we are still working
through this, i would recommend reading Tom Trappler from UCLA's great
piece on some of the legal issues with cloud.

http://www.educause.edu/EDUCAUSE+Quarterly/EDUCAUSEQuarterlyMagazineVolum/IfItsintheCloudGetItonPaperClo/206532

Regards,
Shel

On Aug 31, 2010, at 4:25 PM, Richard DeShong wrote:

> I understand that LBNL is using Google Apps.  I'm getting inquiries
> from
> other organizations (such as Pac-10.org) that are interested in
> cloud type
> services.  Is there someone at LBNL that can field questions about
> "how's it
> going"?
>
> I do have the following links to Shel Waggener's excellent articles:
>
> http://inews.berkeley.edu/articles/Apr-May2010/cloud-computing-EQ
>
> http://inews.berkeley.edu/articles/Aug-Sep2010/cloud-computing-EQ2
>
> And I have this link to LBNL's Google Apps pilot:
>
> http://www.lbl.gov/IT/emailandcollaborationtools/google.html
>

> --
> Richard DeShong, Information Systems Analyst
> Athletic Study Center, UC Berkeley
> 164 Chavez Student Center
> 510-642-5123 office
> 925-285-1088 cell
> asc.berkeley.edu

> meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>
> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-
> viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the
> Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among others)
> your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in
> the past.

Re: [Micronet] Google Apps, update

Richard DeShong-2
Thank you.  I'll add the link to my "resources" reply to inquiries.

Regards,
Richard