[Micronet] Google Drive- some people can't download files?

[Micronet] Google Drive- some people can't download files?

Nils Ohlson
Hello Micronetters,

I share my preliminary recharge reports with a list of users so they can look up the recharges for their professors, and tell me what corrections to make before the recharge deadline. These are pdf files of around 200-250 pages each. Some users report that they can "barely see, and can't download" these files. I see a whole menu bar, including download, across the top of the page when I open a PDF file in drive- one user, who's using IE, showed me that no menu bar is present in drive for her, at all.

Is this just a browser issue (I use Chrome, she uses IE)? Is it a security setting in IE which can be tweaked? I tried to find useful configuration information about bDrive but googled in vain.

Thanks,
Nils

--
Nils Ohlson
Administrative Analyst

(510) 642-1325 phone
(510) 642-4313 fax

Re: [Micronet] Google Drive- some people can't download files?

John Fuhs-Sooter
Hello Nils,
     The first thing I would do is to make sure all users use Chrome when accessing bdrive, bmail, bcal. Google and Microsoft have problems with each other's services (Sharepoint only really works on IE).

John Fuhs-Sooter
Desktop Support Analyst
Campus Shared Services IT
To submit a request, please go to
or call 664-9000, option 1

On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 3:11 PM, Nils Ohlson <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

It may have to do with the "Upload Settings" on bDrive:

If I recall correctly, the default is to have both "Convert" settings checked, and the "Confirm settings" unchecked.  Personally, I prefer the reverse, as shown above.

Just a guess, though.

Ian

On Aug 28, 2014, at 3:11 PM, Nils Ohlson <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

___

IST-Architecture, Platforms and Integration (API)
Earl Warren Hall, Second Floor

Re: [Micronet] Google Drive- some people can't download files?

Ian Crew
Oh, another thought:

You might also try uploading them / sharing them via http://box.berkeley.edu -- the previewer there does a pretty decent job of rendering PDFs.

Cheers,

Ian

On Aug 28, 2014, at 3:58 PM, Ian Crew <[hidden email]> wrote:

It may have to do with the "Upload Settings" on bDrive:

<PastedGraphic-1.png>

[...]

University of California, Berkeley

___

IST-Architecture, Platforms and Integration (API)
Earl Warren Hall, Second Floor

Re: [Micronet] Google Drive- some people can't download files?

Charles James
Not sure but I have a feeling that this issue is indicative of other issues regarding the Google campus system. I sent an thread to micronet a while back asking about issue also with Google mail. It has been over a month or more since it started acting up. I have changed nothing, I use Thunderbird to connect and it worked great since the very start of our use of Google for mail and now it simply sits and freezes every time I send, receive, move mail, etc. When I send this it will sit for about one to two minutes before I can do anything with it.

Sometimes even when I am typing like I am not it simply stops, the busy icon rotates for about thirty seconds to a minute or two then I can type again. I don't have any other issues on my system, iMac, regarding such freezes, delays or busy signals, only Google mail.

Any ideas on why this and Nils issues are happening and seemingly only with Campus Google systems? Or is it me, my T-bird app, etc. Oh, I am going to try again to utilize the iMac mail program to see if I get the same effects so I can see if it is in general or simply T-bird, etc.

Regards,

Charles
Charles E. James
IST - Administrative IT Solutions
Operations/Release Management/CalNet Deputy
Wk: 510-642-8440
ASG Deputy Email: [hidden email]

"The perfect man employs his mind as a mirror;
it grasps nothing; it refuses nothing;
it receives, but does not keep." ~ Chung-Tzu
On 8/28/14, 3:11 PM, Nils Ohlson wrote:
[...]

John McChesney-Young
On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 7:31 AM, Charles James <[hidden email]>
wrote in part:
> ...I sent an thread to micronet a while
> back asking about issue also with Google mail. ... I use Thunderbird
> to connect and it worked great since the very start of our use of Google for
> mail and now it simply sits and freezes... Or is it me, my T-bird app, etc. ...

I'm hoping someone more experienced with recent versions of
Thunderbird will respond, but sitting and freezing as manifested by a
Spinning Beachball of Death is the result of a problem with the
computer (in the broad sense), not with a web application like Gmail.
It's been quite a few years since I used Thunderbird but I know it's
not always well-behaved - that's why I stopped using it - and simply
trashing the application and re-installing often won't fix problems
like this. See:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1807795

for a couple of suggestions on diagnosing and fixing the problem
(tl;dr: run in Safe Mode; trash and recreate the .plist).

John

--
John McChesney-Young, Administrative Assistant
History of Art Department, 416 Doe MC6020

Re: [Micronet] Google Drive- some people can't download files?

Lawrence Huntley SWEET
Download fail of a shared file happened to a client of mine today, when I shared via the (non-email) drive interface in my campus google acct.

First time I've seen it so far (hopefully the last).

Lawrence Sweet
AP III .-|-. SAIT
510 -612-6180
Una mentira dijo a menudo bastante se convierte en la verdad.