[Micronet] Help with bMail- text files

Nils Ohlson
Micronetters,

I'm having trouble with bMail's handling of .txt file attachments sent to me. If I simply download them, they lose all formatting including tabs and line feeds. I have to individually open the file, highlight copy and paste into a blank text file, then "save as" locally, to preserve the formatting. Is there a way to avoid this? I sometimes get a dozen such files at once from a co-worker as part of the monthly recharge data I process, and having to open/save as open/save as will be quite time-consuming.

Needless to say I also find bMail's way of handling attached files perplexing-

"19 attachments -Download all attachments"
Once I click this the formatting is lost.

Also if for any individual file I click "Download" the same thing happens.

Only if I "View" etc can I preserve the cr lf and tabs.

Oh, and "HelP" was not any help but I didn't expect it to be.

Thanks very much,
-Nils

--
Nils Ohlson
Administrative Analyst

(510) 642-1325 phone
(510) 642-4313 fax

Re: [Micronet] Help with bMail- text files

Noam Manor

Doesn’t address the bMail question, but have you tried bDrive or Box for sharing this number of files? Formatting might be preserved there.

Noam

Re: [Micronet] Help with bMail- text files

Tom Salinaro
I wasn't able to reproduce this.

On 4/11/2013 1:35 PM, Nils Ohlson wrote:
[...]

UC Berkeley
Physical Education Program
200 Hearst Gym

Re: [Micronet] Help with bMail- text files

Josh Kwan

Are you sure this isn't simply because you're receiving text files
generated on a Unix system, but saving them on a Windows system (or vice
versa)?

Unix systems use LF for line breaks, while Windows uses CR+LF. I'm
pretty sure Gmail/bMail doesn't mess with attachment formatting, relying
on the user to handle the originally received format.

There are lots of utilities out there that can convert Unix text files
to Windows or vice versa, a quick Google should find you some freeware
to try this out.

Josh

On 4/11/13 1:35 PM, Nils Ohlson wrote:

> Micronetters,
>
> I'm having trouble with bMail's handling of .txt file attachments sent
> to me. If I simply download them, they lose all formatting including
> tabs and line feeds. I have to individually open the file, highlight
> copy and paste into a blank text file, then "save as" locally, to
> preserve the formatting. Is there a way to avoid this? I sometimes get a
> dozen such files at once from a co-worker as part of the monthly
> recharge data I process, and having to open/save as open/save as will be
> quite time-consuming.
>
> Needless to say I also find bMail's way of handling attached files
> perplexing-
>
> "19 attachments -Download all attachments"
> Once I click this the formatting is lost.
>
> Also if for any individual file I click "Download" the same thing happens.
>
> Only if I "View" etc can I preserve the cr lf and tabs.
>
> Oh, and "HelP" was not any help but I didn't expect it to be.
>
> Thanks very much,
> -Nils
>

> --
> Nils Ohlson
> Administrative Analyst
> U.C. Berkeley College of Chemistry
> Business Office
> 410 Latimer Hall #1460
> Berkeley, CA 94720-1460
>
> (510) 642-1325 phone
> (510) 642-4313 fax

Re: [Micronet] Help with bMail- text files

Nils Ohlson
Josh,

I would say "Maybe" to your idea because I although these ARE generated on a UNIX system, I never had this problem with receiving the same files via Thunderbird. You say you're "pretty sure" Gmail doesn't mess with attachment formatting, but do you have evidence of this? Somewhere in the multistep download process which I am forced to go through to get the attachments to my computer, perhaps when bMail turns the set of files into a .zip file (which is what it does whether I like it or not), all of the formatting is stripped out of every .txt file.

That brings up another question- is there a way to stop bMail from turning a set of attachments into a zip file? To actually, you know, download them into a temp folder as-is?

Thanks,
Nils

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 2:32 PM, Josh Kwan <[hidden email]> wrote:

Are you sure this isn't simply because you're receiving text files
generated on a Unix system, but saving them on a Windows system (or vice
versa)?

Unix systems use LF for line breaks, while Windows uses CR+LF. I'm
pretty sure Gmail/bMail doesn't mess with attachment formatting, relying
on the user to handle the originally received format.

There are lots of utilities out there that can convert Unix text files
to Windows or vice versa, a quick Google should find you some freeware
to try this out.

Josh

On 4/11/13 1:35 PM, Nils Ohlson wrote:
> Micronetters,
>
> I'm having trouble with bMail's handling of .txt file attachments sent
> to me. If I simply download them, they lose all formatting including
> tabs and line feeds. I have to individually open the file, highlight
> copy and paste into a blank text file, then "save as" locally, to
> preserve the formatting. Is there a way to avoid this? I sometimes get a
> dozen such files at once from a co-worker as part of the monthly
> recharge data I process, and having to open/save as open/save as will be
> quite time-consuming.
>
> Needless to say I also find bMail's way of handling attached files
> perplexing-
>
> "19 attachments -Download all attachments"
> Once I click this the formatting is lost.
>
> Also if for any individual file I click "Download" the same thing happens.
>
> Only if I "View" etc can I preserve the cr lf and tabs.
>
> Oh, and "HelP" was not any help but I didn't expect it to be.
>
> Thanks very much,
> -Nils
>

> --
> Nils Ohlson
> Administrative Analyst
> U.C. Berkeley College of Chemistry
> Business Office
> 410 Latimer Hall #1460
> Berkeley, CA 94720-1460
>
> (510) 642-1325 phone
> (510) 642-4313 fax

Nils Ohlson
Administrative Analyst
U.C. Berkeley College of Chemistry
Business Office
410 Latimer Hall #1460
Berkeley, CA 94720-1460

(510) 642-1325 phone
(510) 642-4313 fax

Re: [Micronet] Help with bMail- text files

Nils Ohlson
Micronetters,

I have an update for you- it had been suggested that I try having the files loaded to Drive instead. My correspondent graciously did this for me. This did not take care of the problem. I found that even if I download one file, which bMail puts into "Nils/Downloads/", the line-feeds are stripped out when I open it; so apparently the problem does not happen just when multiple files are zipped.

I should not have to *open* each text file, *select all*, *copy*, and *paste*, literally 19 times for this one set of simple text files, just to preserve the formatting which makes them readable.

Has anyone else found a way to simply *download* text files without this happening, and if so, what steps do you go through? I am wondering if there is some sort of local configuration setting I need to change, but have not seen one in bConnected itself that addresses this issue.

As always grateful for any information,
Nils

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 2:32 PM, Josh Kwan <[hidden email]> wrote:

Are you sure this isn't simply because you're receiving text files
generated on a Unix system, but saving them on a Windows system (or vice
versa)?

Unix systems use LF for line breaks, while Windows uses CR+LF. I'm
pretty sure Gmail/bMail doesn't mess with attachment formatting, relying
on the user to handle the originally received format.

There are lots of utilities out there that can convert Unix text files
to Windows or vice versa, a quick Google should find you some freeware
to try this out.

Josh

On 4/11/13 1:35 PM, Nils Ohlson wrote:
> Micronetters,
>
> I'm having trouble with bMail's handling of .txt file attachments sent
> to me. If I simply download them, they lose all formatting including
> tabs and line feeds. I have to individually open the file, highlight
> copy and paste into a blank text file, then "save as" locally, to
> preserve the formatting. Is there a way to avoid this? I sometimes get a
> dozen such files at once from a co-worker as part of the monthly
> recharge data I process, and having to open/save as open/save as will be
> quite time-consuming.
>
> Needless to say I also find bMail's way of handling attached files
> perplexing-
>
> "19 attachments -Download all attachments"
> Once I click this the formatting is lost.
>
> Also if for any individual file I click "Download" the same thing happens.
>
> Only if I "View" etc can I preserve the cr lf and tabs.
>
> Oh, and "HelP" was not any help but I didn't expect it to be.
>
> Thanks very much,
> -Nils
>

> --
> Nils Ohlson
> Administrative Analyst
> U.C. Berkeley College of Chemistry
> Business Office
> 410 Latimer Hall #1460
> Berkeley, CA 94720-1460
>
> (510) 642-1325 phone
> (510) 642-4313 fax

Nils Ohlson
Administrative Analyst
U.C. Berkeley College of Chemistry
Business Office
410 Latimer Hall #1460
Berkeley, CA 94720-1460

(510) 642-1325 phone
(510) 642-4313 fax

Re: [Micronet] Help with bMail- text files

Tom Salinaro
What happens if you try open the files in another text editor?

On 4/12/2013 8:56 AM, Nils Ohlson wrote:
> [...]

> -Nils
>

> --
> Nils Ohlson
> Administrative Analyst
> U.C. Berkeley College of Chemistry
> Business Office
> 410 Latimer Hall #1460
> Berkeley, CA 94720-1460
>
> (510) 642-1325 phone
> (510) 642-4313 fax

Nils Ohlson
Administrative Analyst
U.C. Berkeley College of Chemistry
Business Office
410 Latimer Hall #1460
Berkeley, CA 94720-1460

(510) 642-1325 phone
(510) 642-4313 fax

Tom Salinaro
UC Berkeley
Physical Education Program
200 Hearst Gym

Re: [Micronet] Help with bMail- text files

Jan Pardoe
I just did a test with two text files, both including some
tab-delimited lines, one with *nix end-of-line, one with DOS.
I used Chromium on linux and the bMail web client, and tried both
the individual attachment Download links and the Download all
attachments link (zip file).  In both cases, the *nix line-ends
were converted to DOS line-ends, but the tabs were preserved fine.
I tried the same thing with Chrome on Win7 and got the same result.

As Tom said, maybe if you use a different program to open the
downloaded attachments they would work better?  Most linux systems
have dos2unix and unix2dos if you want a command to change the
line-ends.

Another option would be to have your correspondent zip up the files
before sending.  When I tried that, the line-ends were correct and
unchanged in the files after unzipping the received archive.

Jan
Jan Pardoe                                   [hidden email]
Manager, Administrative Computing              510-643-7848 (voice)
EECS/ERSO/CoE Dean, UC Berkeley                  510-642-5775 (fax)

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 08:56:37AM -0700, Nils Ohlson wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > (510) 642-1325 phone
> > > (510) 642-4313 fax
> > >
> > > [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

> > meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
> > >
> > > http://micronet.berkeley.edu
> > >
> > > Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable,
> > and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This
> > means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,
> > prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.
> > >

> --
> Nils Ohlson
> Administrative Analyst
> U.C. Berkeley College of Chemistry
> Business Office
> 410 Latimer Hall #1460
> Berkeley, CA 94720-1460
>
> (510) 642-1325 phone
> (510) 642-4313 fax

Re: [Micronet] Help with bMail- text files

Richard DeShong-2
As suggested by another poster, I think the most important thing would be to remove the email system from the actual document management part.  Use email as a communication trigger, and use a service, such as Box, for the document part.

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 9:26 AM, Jan Pardoe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> > > Oh, and "HelP" was not any help but I didn't expect it to be.
> > >
> > > Thanks very much,
> > > -Nils
> > >

> > > --
> > > Nils Ohlson
> > > Administrative Analyst
> > > U.C. Berkeley College of Chemistry
> > > Business Office
> > > 410 Latimer Hall #1460
> > > Berkeley, CA 94720-1460
> > >
> > > (510) 642-1325 phone
> > > (510) 642-4313 fax
> > >
> > > [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

> > meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
> > >
> > > http://micronet.berkeley.edu
> > >
> > > Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable,
> > and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This
> > means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,
> > prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Richard DeShong, Systems Analyst, Athletic Study Center, U.C.Berkeley
164 Chavez Student Center, Berkeley, CA, 94720-4220
510-642-5123     asc.berkeley.edu

Re: [Micronet] Help with bMail- text files

Nils Ohlson
Micronetters,

My eternally patient and helpful correspondent uploaded the 19 files into Box, from which I downloaded them locally, with the same disappointing results. But that's because I have Notepad as my default text-editor. Jan Pardoe's suggestion did the trick; when I open a file in Wordpad instead, the line-feeds are visible again. And if, while still in Wordpad, I "save as [original file name]" which overwrites the downloaded version, I can then open the file in Notepad and the line-feeds are miraculously restored! This is a not-too-bad solution to the issue, although I have no explanation of what was going on.

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions; everything helped!

-Nils

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 10:04 AM, Richard DESHONG <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> --
> Nils Ohlson
> Administrative Analyst
> U.C. Berkeley College of Chemistry
> Business Office
> 410 Latimer Hall #1460
> Berkeley, CA 94720-1460
>
> (510) 642-1325 phone
> (510) 642-4313 fax

Richard DeShong, Systems Analyst, Athletic Study Center, U.C.Berkeley
164 Chavez Student Center, Berkeley, CA, 94720-4220
510-642-5123     asc.berkeley.edu

--
Nils Ohlson
Administrative Analyst
U.C. Berkeley College of Chemistry
Business Office
410 Latimer Hall #1460
Berkeley, CA 94720-1460

(510) 642-1325 phone
(510) 642-4313 fax

Re: [Micronet] Help with bMail- text files

Aron Roberts
> This is a not-too-bad solution to the issue, although I have no explanation of
> what was going on.

>From your description, Nils, it seems probable that Wordpad
understands the end-of-line / newline characters used in some text
files created on non-Windows platforms (such as the linefeed
characters used to identify the ends of lines on Unix-like systems),
while Notepad does not.  Notepad may well understand only the carriage
return/linefeed pairs used natively on Windows.

Some fascinating historical background for all of this:

"The Great Newline Schism"
http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2010/01/the-great-newline-schism.html

Aron Roberts
IST-Research Information Technologies