[Micronet] Hosting question when moving UCB website from Dreamweaver to WordPress

[Micronet] Hosting question when moving UCB website from Dreamweaver to WordPress

Desi Owens
Hosting question when moving UCB website from Dreamweaver to WordPress HI,

I was referred to this listserv for help/resources. I have a socrates.berkeley.edu website and would like to move away from Dreamweaver to WordPress (for ease of use w/ updating, etc.). I already have an outside consultant in mind for this conversion but need help sorting out the hosting scenarios/possibilities- that is, the cost/benefit of on-campus versus off-campus hosting. (I would like to maintain the berkeley.edu suffix and have received this link to explore further:
https://offsitehosting.berkeley.edu/)

Many thanks for any information and/or resources that you think might help expedite this effort.

-DRO

Re: [Micronet] Hosting question when moving UCB website from Dreamweaver to WordPress

Richard DeShong-2
Hosting question when moving UCB website from Dreamweaver to WordPress

A couple of options come to mind:

http://ist.berkeley.edu/services/catalog/web/drupal

You mentioned WordPress, not Drupal, but I thought it worth noting since IST is providing the service, using an outside vendor.

IST also provides an inhouse windows based web service:

http://ist.berkeley.edu/services/is/calweb-iis

--

Richard DeShong, Systems Analyst

Athletic Study Center, U.C.Berkeley

Re: [Micronet] Hosting question when moving UCB website from Dreamweaver to WordPress

Tom Salinaro
The following might not fit your situation but I'd like to bring up the idea of generating webpages on a local computer with a custom script and uploading the static html to a webhost.
This won't work well for sites with user-generated content or many maintainers, but it works great for my department.
You can then use any cheap webhost (we use dreamhost) and won't have to bother with the complexities of a more powerful solution like WordPress or an annoying (IMHO) program like Dreamweaver.

On 9/27/2012 6:02 PM, Desi Owens wrote:
Hosting question when moving UCB website from Dreamweaver to WordPress HI,

I was referred to this listserv for help/resources. I have a socrates.berkeley.edu website and would like to move away from Dreamweaver to WordPress (for ease of use w/ updating, etc.). I already have an outside consultant in mind for this conversion but need help sorting out the hosting scenarios/possibilities- that is, the cost/benefit of on-campus versus off-campus hosting. (I would like to maintain the berkeley.edu suffix and have received this link to explore further:
https://offsitehosting.berkeley.edu/)

Many thanks for any information and/or resources that you think might help expedite this effort.

-DRO

Re: [Micronet] Hosting question when moving UCB website from Dreamweaver to WordPress

Ingrid Berg
I manage the sites at the School of Public Health and have set up a wordpress site for our news and magazine (sph-publications.berkeley.edu) using offsite hosting through Fusionhost. We pay $72 a year for unlimited server usage and space. Their service has been top notch and they use c-panel which makes things like backing up and adding new software very easy. Let me know if you would like more information.

On 9/27/2012 6:02 PM, Desi Owens wrote:
Hosting question when moving UCB website from Dreamweaver to WordPress HI,

I was referred to this listserv for help/resources. I have a socrates.berkeley.edu website and would like to move away from Dreamweaver to WordPress (for ease of use w/ updating, etc.). I already have an outside consultant in mind for this conversion but need help sorting out the hosting scenarios/possibilities- that is, the cost/benefit of on-campus versus off-campus hosting. (I would like to maintain the berkeley.edu suffix and have received this link to explore further:
https://offsitehosting.berkeley.edu/)

Many thanks for any information and/or resources that you think might help expedite this effort.

-DRO

ingrid berg

ingrid berg
media designer
uc berkeley school of public health
417.g university hall no.7360
berkeley ca 94720
510.642.9185
[hidden email]
http://sph.berkeley.edu

Support The Campaign for the School of Public Health: http://givetocal.berkeley.edu/publichealth

Join us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/berkeleyhealth

Re: [Micronet] Hosting question when moving UCB website from Dreamweaver to WordPress

Jeff Teeters
I've been intrigued by this free hosting provider:
http://www.000webhost.com/
The free accounts includes 1.5GB disk space, 100GB monthly transfer,
PHP and MySQL.  I've used the free accounts for some temporary web
sites, starting about four years ago.  Seems to have good service.
They also have a paid plan, $4.84 / month, which provides unlimited
disk space and monthly transfers.