[Micronet] How to Clean Dirty LCD Monitors?

[Micronet] How to Clean Dirty LCD Monitors?

Jon Forrest
I know about those spray cans that contain
stuff you spray on an LCD monitor to clean
it. However, I have an LCD monitor that looks
like somebody sneezed on it while their mouth
was full of soup. That cleaner spray doesn't
do much on this monitor (I know because I
tried).

What would you use to clean an LCD monitor
that has a lot of "foreign material" on
it?

Cordially,
--
Jon Forrest
Research Computing Support

Re: [Micronet] How to Clean Dirty LCD Monitors?

Jimmy Wu
  I've used diluted alcohol (50/50 mix) with good result.

-j

On 9/21/10 11:13 AM, Jon Forrest wrote:

> I know about those spray cans that contain
> stuff you spray on an LCD monitor to clean
> it. However, I have an LCD monitor that looks
> like somebody sneezed on it while their mouth
> was full of soup. That cleaner spray doesn't
> do much on this monitor (I know because I
> tried).
>
> What would you use to clean an LCD monitor
> that has a lot of "foreign material" on
> it?
>
> Cordially,

Re: [Micronet] How to Clean Dirty LCD Monitors?

Bill Clark
I would also recommend using distilled water and not tap water, as the
dissolved minerals in tap water might leave visible streaks.

-Bill Clark

>   I've used diluted alcohol (50/50 mix) with good result.
>
> -j
>
> On 9/21/10 11:13 AM, Jon Forrest wrote:
>> I know about those spray cans that contain
>> stuff you spray on an LCD monitor to clean
>> it. However, I have an LCD monitor that looks
>> like somebody sneezed on it while their mouth
>> was full of soup. That cleaner spray doesn't
>> do much on this monitor (I know because I
>> tried).
>>
>> What would you use to clean an LCD monitor
>> that has a lot of "foreign material" on
>> it?
>>
>> Cordially,

> visit the Micronet Web site:

> the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This
> means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,

Re: [Micronet] How to Clean Dirty LCD Monitors?

Guy D. VINSON
I use half and half distilled water and vinegar (whited distilled) in a spray bottle and a microfiber cloth. I spray a bit onto the cloth, not onto the monitor and clean off the screen and wipe with a dry microfiber cloth.

Guy
---
Guy Vinson
Infrastructure & IT
College of Environmental Design
510-842-7199

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 11:31 AM, Bill Clark <[hidden email]> wrote:
I would also recommend using distilled water and not tap water, as the
dissolved minerals in tap water might leave visible streaks.

-Bill Clark

>   I've used diluted alcohol (50/50 mix) with good result.
>
> -j
>
> On 9/21/10 11:13 AM, Jon Forrest wrote:
>> I know about those spray cans that contain
>> stuff you spray on an LCD monitor to clean
>> it. However, I have an LCD monitor that looks
>> like somebody sneezed on it while their mouth
>> was full of soup. That cleaner spray doesn't
>> do much on this monitor (I know because I
>> tried).
>>
>> What would you use to clean an LCD monitor
>> that has a lot of "foreign material" on
>> it?
>>
>> Cordially,

> visit the Micronet Web site:

> the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This
> means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,

Re: [Micronet] How to Clean Dirty LCD Monitors?

Greg Merritt

On Sep 21, 2010, at 11:48 AM, guy vinson wrote:

> I use half and half

This stopped me dead in my tracks.  It got better as I read the rest
of the sentence, however.

Re: [Micronet] How to Clean Dirty LCD Monitors?

Graham Patterson
But it might be the cause of Jon's original problem!

Graham

On 9/21/10 1:04 PM, Greg Merritt wrote:

> On Sep 21, 2010, at 11:48 AM, guy vinson wrote:
>
>> I use half and half
>

> This stopped me dead in my tracks.  It got better as I read the rest
> of the sentence, however.
>
> -Greg

"...past the Tyranosaurus, the Mastodon, the mathematical puzzles, and
the meteorite..." - directions to my office.

Re: [Micronet] How to Clean Dirty LCD Monitors?

Lars Rohrbach
<spit take>
Dang, now I have to clean my LCD monitor...

On 9/21/2010 1:05 PM, Graham Patterson wrote:

> But it might be the cause of Jon's original problem!
>
> Graham
>
> On 9/21/10 1:04 PM, Greg Merritt wrote:
>>
>> On Sep 21, 2010, at 11:48 AM, guy vinson wrote:
>>
>>> I use half and half
>>

>> This stopped me dead in my tracks.  It got better as I read the rest
>> of the sentence, however.
>>
>> -Greg

Lars Rohrbach
Computer User Support Group
EECS, UC Berkeley
http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/~larsrohr

Re: [Micronet] How to Clean Dirty LCD Monitors?

Guy D. VINSON
Only because I ran out of buttermilk...
---

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 1:04 PM, Greg Merritt <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Sep 21, 2010, at 11:48 AM, guy vinson wrote:

> I use half and half

This stopped me dead in my tracks.  It got better as I read the rest
of the sentence, however.

Re: [Micronet] How to Clean Dirty LCD Monitors?

Edgar Ortega

Guy, that’s definitely the route I would advise doing (also good for cleaning microwave ovens!).

Personally, I keep a heavily diluted mixture of Simple Green and water at home (1:10) which I bring to work every now and then and it works great on lcd screens (just make sure the screen is off and has time to cool down to minimize the quick evaporation of the diluted water and avoid leaving streaks).

Whatever you chose, its best to avoid those Clorox cleaning towelettes/wipes that come out the top of a plastic container, or at least make sure that they are bleach free. I’ve had the unfortunate experience of having to toss away a monitor because a user didn’t realize that the chemicals in the moist wipes contained bleach (and probably some strong alcohols) that slowly melted away layers of the screen over the constant use and it left a very weird and hazy glow that ruined the monitor.

Best of luck!

-Edgar Ortega

> [...]

-Bill Clark

>   I've used diluted alcohol (50/50 mix) with good result.
>
> -j
>
> On 9/21/10 11:13 AM, Jon Forrest wrote:
>> I know about those spray cans that contain
>> stuff you spray on an LCD monitor to clean
>> it. However, I have an LCD monitor that looks
>> like somebody sneezed on it while their mouth
>> was full of soup. That cleaner spray doesn't
>> do much on this monitor (I know because I
>> tried).
>>
>> What would you use to clean an LCD monitor
>> that has a lot of "foreign material" on
>> it?
>>
>> Cordially,

> visit the Micronet Web site:

> the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This
> means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,

Re: [Micronet] How to Clean Dirty LCD Monitors?

Madeleine Leullier
Personally, I like this one better:
http://mrgriffo.com/images/cleanscreen.swf
Madeleine Leullier
Microlab - 406 Cory Hall
> Not sure what is in simple green but anything I can spray on my salad is OK in my book. I have wasted too much money and gotten only fair results with some of the commercial products out there to clean screens... simple distilled water and white vinegar seems to work best of everything I have found.
> ---
> Guy Vinson
> Infrastructure & IT
> College of Environmental Design
> 510-842-7199
>

> On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 3:18 PM, Edgar Ortega <<a href="javascript:main.compose('new', 't=clltech@berkeley.edu')">clltech@...> wrote:

> Guy, that’s definitely the route I would advise doing (also good for cleaning microwave ovens!).

> Personally, I keep a heavily diluted mixture of Simple Green and water at home (1:10) which I bring to work every now and then and it works great on lcd screens (just make sure the screen is off and has time to cool down to minimize the quick evaporation of the diluted water and avoid leaving streaks).

> Whatever you chose, its best to avoid those Clorox cleaning towelettes/wipes that come out the top of a plastic container, or at least make sure that they are bleach free. I’ve had the unfortunate experience of having to toss away a monitor because a user didn’t realize that the chemicals in the moist wipes contained bleach (and probably some strong alcohols) that slowly melted away layers of the screen over the constant use and it left a very weird and hazy glow that ruined the monitor.

> Best of luck!

> -Edgar Ortega

Erik Klavon
On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 09:16:58AM -0700, guy vinson wrote:
> I have to agree... this is priceless. I personally use my cats to remove
> dust from my screen at home. Now if I could only get them to not try and
> scratch the mouse cursor.

They do better at repairing printers, though not always.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIG2w-yhwDk

Erik