[Micronet] How to Manage TV or Tablets in the Lobby?

[Micronet] How to Manage TV or Tablets in the Lobby?

Noam Manor
We are thinking about mounting a TV in our lobby area to display
announcements about special events, important due dates, academic
advising, etc.

A wired network connection is not available there, but AirBears is.
Ideally, the system would also not require a dedicated computer or DVD
player.

A USB flash drive with a presentation on it is an option, but if the TV is
mounted at a height where staff members could reach the USB port so could
passersby.

We would like to be able to update the presentation every week or two.
How is this typically managed? Is there specialized software or service
that supports it?

Alternatively, we are also considering mounting a few tablets in that area
where visitors could use an interactive system to see announcements, a map
of the building, course information, etc.
How could a tablet be limited to only the pages we would like to display
and how could such information be updated?

Thank you,
Noam

Re: [Micronet] How to Manage TV or Tablets in the Lobby?

Luke Rockwell
Noam,

Do you have the ability to run a cat 5 cable to the tv every two
weeks? If you do I have a solution for you

On Jan 23, 2013, at 8:00 PM, Noam Manor <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We are thinking about mounting a TV in our lobby area to display
> announcements about special events, important due dates, academic
> advising, etc.
>
> A wired network connection is not available there, but AirBears is.
> Ideally, the system would also not require a dedicated computer or DVD
> player.
>
> A USB flash drive with a presentation on it is an option, but if the TV is
> mounted at a height where staff members could reach the USB port so could
> passersby.
>
> We would like to be able to update the presentation every week or two.
> How is this typically managed? Is there specialized software or service
> that supports it?
>
> Alternatively, we are also considering mounting a few tablets in that area
> where visitors could use an interactive system to see announcements, a map
> of the building, course information, etc.
> How could a tablet be limited to only the pages we would like to display
> and how could such information be updated?
>
> Thank you,
> Noam

Re: [Micronet] How to Manage TV or Tablets in the Lobby?

At LHS we have a couple of web-enabled TVs with browser capacity mounted
on the gantry over our Visitor Services desk. These are set to bring up
a specific page from our web server with the browser in full-screen
mode. We have our own wireless in this zone, though there is no reason
you couldn't use Airbears with a 7 day guest account. Logging in with a
TV remote is not really fun, but it only has to be done once a day.
AirBears 2 should help in this regard since auto connection becomes
possible.

In principle you can change the content of the page file fairly easily,
though we usually run a limited set of pages. The TV browsers are
limited - embedded video is an issue, for example. For more elaborate
stuff you would need a netbook mounted behind the TV to broker the input.

Tablets can go in a frame to prevent access to the control buttons. If
you use a clear frame you might be able to keep people away from the
browser address bar.

Graham

On 1/23/13 7:59 PM, Noam Manor wrote:

> We are thinking about mounting a TV in our lobby area to display
> announcements about special events, important due dates, academic
> advising, etc.
>
> A wired network connection is not available there, but AirBears is.
> Ideally, the system would also not require a dedicated computer or DVD
> player.
>
> A USB flash drive with a presentation on it is an option, but if the TV is
> mounted at a height where staff members could reach the USB port so could
> passersby.
>
> We would like to be able to update the presentation every week or two.
> How is this typically managed? Is there specialized software or service
> that supports it?
>
> Alternatively, we are also considering mounting a few tablets in that area
> where visitors could use an interactive system to see announcements, a map
> of the building, course information, etc.
> How could a tablet be limited to only the pages we would like to display
> and how could such information be updated?
>
> Thank you,
> Noam

Re: [Micronet] How to Manage TV or Tablets in the Lobby?

Isaac Orr
Hi Noam,

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 7:59 PM, Noam Manor <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We are thinking about mounting a TV in our lobby area to display
> announcements about special events, important due dates, academic
> advising, etc.
>
> A wired network connection is not available there, but AirBears is.
> Ideally, the system would also not require a dedicated computer or DVD
> player.

AirBears is not designed for, and really isn't that great for,
persistently on network connections.  It may work, but you should be
aware of this.

Did someone from IST-Telecommunications look at this and advise that a
connection wasn't available at that location?

Regards

iso

--
Isaac Simon Orr
Manager, Network Operations and Services

Re: [Micronet] How to Manage TV or Tablets in the Lobby?

Isaac Orr
On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 9:13 AM, Graham Patterson <[hidden email]> wrote:
[snip]

> AirBears 2 should help in this regard since auto connection becomes
> possible.

That's correct - AirBears2 will be much more reasonable at supporting
a persistent connection.

> Tablets can go in a frame to prevent access to the control buttons. If
> you use a clear frame you might be able to keep people away from the
> browser address bar.

I've seen Kiosk Apps for tablets around the place, along with
recommendations on how to secure the tablet (iOS for example allows
for a lot of things to be done in the restrictions settings).

iso

--
Isaac Simon Orr
Manager, Network Operations and Services
IST Telecommunications, UC Berkeley
P: +1 510 643 9837 C: +1 510 517 9408 E: [hidden email]

Re: [Micronet] How to Manage TV or Tablets in the Lobby?

Noam Manor
Thank you all for your suggestions.
Ted, Xibo looks like the right kind of tool. It says on their site that the Xibo server can be hosted on a computer or online. How do you have it set up?

Robert, I was hoping to be able to avoid a computer, but I agree, it's the most obvious solution, and it turns out there is a closet with electrical outlets on the other side of the wall on which the TV would be mounted.

Graham, which TVs do you use?

Isaac, there are wired connections in the building, but not in the lobby. I was seeking advice on getting this accomplished without installing a wired connection there, but it isn't out of the question. Thank you for the warning about AirBears. AirBears2 is a more promising direction. Thanks for the kiosk app reference.

Does anyone here have experience working with such apps?

Thanks again,
Noam

Noam Manor
Fall Program for Freshmen

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 7:59 PM, Noam Manor <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We are thinking about mounting a TV in our lobby area to display
> announcements about special events, important due dates, academic
> advising, etc.
>
> A wired network connection is not available there, but AirBears is.
> Ideally, the system would also not require a dedicated computer or DVD
> player.

AirBears is not designed for, and really isn't that great for, persistently on network connections.  It may work, but you should be aware of this.

Did someone from IST-Telecommunications look at this and advise that a connection wasn't available at that location?

Regards

iso

--
Isaac Simon Orr
Manager, Network Operations and Services IST Telecommunications, UC Berkeley
P: +1 510 643 9837 C: +1 510 517 9408 E: [hidden email]

Re: [Micronet] How to Manage TV or Tablets in the Lobby?

Lucy Greco
I would be sure that if your just using something as small as a ios device
that the print is large enough to been seen by a lot of people and then
don't forget the angle for a wheel chair and hay if it is an is device let
them turn on voice over grin Lucy

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 9:13 AM, Graham Patterson <[hidden email]>
wrote:
[snip]

> AirBears 2 should help in this regard since auto connection becomes
> possible.

That's correct - AirBears2 will be much more reasonable at supporting a
persistent connection.

> Tablets can go in a frame to prevent access to the control buttons. If
> you use a clear frame you might be able to keep people away from the
> browser address bar.

I've seen Kiosk Apps for tablets around the place, along with
recommendations on how to secure the tablet (iOS for example allows for a
lot of things to be done in the restrictions settings).

iso

--
Isaac Simon Orr
Manager, Network Operations and Services IST Telecommunications, UC Berkeley
P: +1 510 643 9837 C: +1 510 517 9408 E: [hidden email]

visit the Micronet Web site:

the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means
these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective
employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] How to Manage TV or Tablets in the Lobby?

Noam Manor
If we go the tablet route, we would mount a few of them, making sure that at
least one of them is as accessible as possible.
Noam

Noam Manor
Fall Program for Freshmen

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 9:13 AM, Graham Patterson <[hidden email]>
wrote:
[snip]

> AirBears 2 should help in this regard since auto connection becomes
> possible.

That's correct - AirBears2 will be much more reasonable at supporting a
persistent connection.

> Tablets can go in a frame to prevent access to the control buttons. If
> you use a clear frame you might be able to keep people away from the
> browser address bar.

I've seen Kiosk Apps for tablets around the place, along with
recommendations on how to secure the tablet (iOS for example allows for a
lot of things to be done in the restrictions settings).

iso

--
Isaac Simon Orr
Manager, Network Operations and Services IST Telecommunications, UC Berkeley
P: +1 510 643 9837 C: +1 510 517 9408 E: [hidden email]

visit the Micronet Web site:

the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means
these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective
employers, and people who have known you in the past.

visit the Micronet Web site:

the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means
these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective
employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] How to Manage TV or Tablets in the Lobby?

secabeen
I have the Xibo server running on a virtual host in our Apache Web
Infrastructure.  It doesn't require much more than the usual LAMP stack.

--Ted

If you want to display that has the ability to hold a small power point presentation check out these Samsung's. http://www.samsung.com/us/business/commercial-display-solutions/LH40MDBPLGA/ZA

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 9:31 AM, Noam Manor <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thank you all for your suggestions.
Ted, Xibo looks like the right kind of tool. It says on their site that the Xibo server can be hosted on a computer or online. How do you have it set up?

Robert, I was hoping to be able to avoid a computer, but I agree, it's the most obvious solution, and it turns out there is a closet with electrical outlets on the other side of the wall on which the TV would be mounted.

Graham, which TVs do you use?

Isaac, there are wired connections in the building, but not in the lobby. I was seeking advice on getting this accomplished without installing a wired connection there, but it isn't out of the question. Thank you for the warning about AirBears. AirBears2 is a more promising direction. Thanks for the kiosk app reference.

Does anyone here have experience working with such apps?

Thanks again,
Noam

Noam Manor
Fall Program for Freshmen

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 7:59 PM, Noam Manor <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We are thinking about mounting a TV in our lobby area to display
> announcements about special events, important due dates, academic
> advising, etc.
>
> A wired network connection is not available there, but AirBears is.
> Ideally, the system would also not require a dedicated computer or DVD
> player.

AirBears is not designed for, and really isn't that great for, persistently on network connections.  It may work, but you should be aware of this.

Did someone from IST-Telecommunications look at this and advise that a connection wasn't available at that location?

Regards

iso

--
Isaac Simon Orr
Manager, Network Operations and Services IST Telecommunications, UC Berkeley
P: +1 510 643 9837 C: +1 510 517 9408 E: [hidden email]

Luke Rockwell
Systems and Support Analyst
Information Technology

Cal Alumni Association | UC Berkeley
1 Alumni House, Berkeley, CA 94720
T 510.643.0237
F 510.642.6252

140 Years of Alumni Excellence
Commitment, Support, Passion

_____________________________________

alumni.berkeley.edu

Re: [Micronet] How to Manage TV or Tablets in the Lobby?

Devin Jones
Hi Noam,

Here's another datapoint for you or anyone considering this kind of project.

Here at Boalt, we have electronic signage outside most of our
classrooms.  The signs themselves are 10" Viewsonic EP1020r
(inexpensive), mounted in custom frames (expensive), which get net and
power by POE supplied by cabling that was run for this project (very
expensive).

To drive the sign's content, the ep1020r provides a bios-style interface
to an administrator (which can be passworded).  The signs consume a SMIL
file to drive the content.  If I understand correctly, you could use
XIBO to provide your content via SMIL (an HTML like language).

As an aside, in our case, we largely sidestep SMIL by giving our signs
very basic SMIL files which just tell each sign to reload an image over
HTTP into its cache once each minute, and then to refresh their screen
once a minute if the cached file is available and valid.  We have a
small cronjob on our webserver that automatically updates those images
for each sign based on live information in our internal calendar (EMS).
 This means that we don't need to do any maintenance on the content on
the signs - it's being driven entirely automatically by existing data.

The sign content on the ep1020r (and most signs like this) seem to be
able to be updated via USB if you're not making constant updates (I
haven't tried this though), and I believe after you load the new content
into memory for the sign, you can remove the usb stick.  Also, this sign
has an optional little stand for propping it up on a desk or counter, if
that makes sense in your context.

If you can use existing power and net (or USB), this kind of setup could
be a sensible solution, but if you need a larger sign or need to use
wifi, there are off-the-shelf adapters for driving TVs or monitors as
digital signage over wifi, e.g.:
http://www.siig.com/full-hd-digital-signage-player-with-wi-fi.html
We haven't played with any, so I can't give you advice on which ones
might work well with AirBears2's WPA2 authentication.
FWIW, ep1020r can use a wifi dongle, but it seems like someone could
just walk off with it, so not really ideal, and I don't think it's got WPA2.

All that said, this kind of solution doesn't give you a computer that
can be remoted into, and that hampers diagnostics when things go wrong.
 I wish these little screens just ran a stripped down linux, rendered
HTML5 in kiosk mode rather than SMIL, and supported WPA2 etc..  That
would provide a lot more flexibility and a more familiar way to deliver
content.

-Devin

On 1/24/2013 9:31 AM, Noam Manor wrote:

> Thank you all for your suggestions.
> Ted, Xibo looks like the right kind of tool. It says on their site that the Xibo server can be hosted on a computer or online. How do you have it set up?
>
> Robert, I was hoping to be able to avoid a computer, but I agree, it's the most obvious solution, and it turns out there is a closet with electrical outlets on the other side of the wall on which the TV would be mounted.
>
> Graham, which TVs do you use?
>
> Isaac, there are wired connections in the building, but not in the lobby. I was seeking advice on getting this accomplished without installing a wired connection there, but it isn't out of the question. Thank you for the warning about AirBears. AirBears2 is a more promising direction. Thanks for the kiosk app reference.
>
> Does anyone here have experience working with such apps?
>
> Thanks again,
> Noam
>
> Noam Manor
> Fall Program for Freshmen
> (510) 643-0388
> [hidden email]

Manager of Software Development
UC Berkeley School of Law -- Boalt Hall

Re: [Micronet] How to Manage TV or Tablets in the Lobby?

Noam Manor
Thank you, Devin. This is really helpful.
We need to keep programing and cabling costs to a minimum, but you did give
me a few interesting directions to pursue.

wrote:

>> We are thinking about mounting a TV in our lobby area to display
>> announcements about special events, important due dates, academic
>> advising, etc.
>>
>> A wired network connection is not available there, but AirBears is.
>> Ideally, the system would also not require a dedicated computer or
>> DVD player.
>>

> AirBears is not designed for, and really isn't that great for,
persistently on network connections.  It may work, but you should be aware
of this.

> Did someone from IST-Telecommunications look at this and advise that a
connection wasn't available at that location?

> Regards
>
> iso
>
> --
> Isaac Simon Orr
> Manager, Network Operations and Services IST Telecommunications, UC
> Berkeley
> P: +1 510 643 9837 C: +1 510 517 9408 E: [hidden email]

visit the Micronet Web site:

the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means
these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective
employers, and people who have known you in the past.

--

Devin Jones
Manager of Software Development
UC Berkeley School of Law -- Boalt Hall

Re: [Micronet] How to Manage TV or Tablets in the Lobby?

tedcrum
On AirBears(1) it seems to be possible for two wireless devices on
the same AB network to communicate with each other using the local IP
addresses, without authenticating to the captive portal and acquiring
a 1-1 NAT external address, if they use a resource-location protocol
like Bonjour to find each other.

At least that's what I think was happening when a printer
unexpectedly popped up in Finder. If so, you might just be able to
hang a Mini and administer it from nearby.

-Ted