[Micronet] How to print from other subnets to networked HP printer?

[Micronet] How to print from other subnets to networked HP printer?

Bruce Satow
We just bought three new HP laserjet 500 color M551.  They all have static IP addresses.  The problem we are having on these new printers is that we can't print to them from the other subnets we use.  The IP, subnet mask, router settings are all correct.  Any ideas?  Anyone else had this problem?

I am on the phone with HP and they are all outsourced "techs", read off the screen, ask a bunch of questions, don't know what a subnet mask is, etc. type of help that is useless.

--
Bruce Satow
University of California at Berkeley

"If the United States of America or Britain is having elections, they don't ask for observers from Africa or from Asia. But when we have elections, they want observers" - Nelson Mandela

Re: [Micronet] How to print from other subnets to networked HP printer?

Graham Patterson

We've seen that. I'll have to ask our desktop people if they made a note
of the model before we sent it back.

We did not believe it. Three of us (with about 30 years combined
experience), and we couldn't work it out. We moved it between networks,
and it was fine within the /24, but wouldn't accept connections from
outside. It would ping, and the web interface worked.

Bizarre.

Graham

On 2/3/12 1:50 PM, Bruce Satow wrote:

> We just bought three new HP laserjet 500 color M551. They all have
> static IP addresses. The problem we are having on these new printers is
> that we can't print to them from the other subnets we use. The IP,
> subnet mask, router settings are all correct. Any ideas? Anyone else had
> this problem?
>
> I am on the phone with HP and they are all outsourced "techs", read off
> the screen, ask a bunch of questions, don't know what a subnet mask is,
> etc. type of help that is useless.
>
> --
> *Bruce Satow*
> University of California at Berkeley
> Space Sciences Laboratory
> 7 Gauss Way
> Berkeley, California 94720-7450
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> (510) 643-2348
>
> /"If the United States of America or Britain is having elections, they
> don't ask for observers from Africa or from Asia. But when we have
> elections, they want observers"/ - *Nelson Mandela*

Re: [Micronet] How to print from other subnets to networked HP printer?

Bruce Satow
Thanks Graham.

We have probably 35 or more networked printers and we haven't ran into this problem yet.

The weird thing is that everything works within the subnet that the printer is installed on.

I have a bad feeling that most  if not all of the new models of networked HP laserjet printers are all going to be configured that way.

There must be some kind of work around.  I've contacted HP and got through the outsourced gauntlet techs and they are supposedly going to find out and email me the answer.  I'll post it here if it  I get it and it works.

-Bruce

--
Bruce Satow
University of California at Berkeley
Space Sciences Laboratory
7 Gauss Way
Berkeley, California 94720-7450

"If the United States of America or Britain is having elections, they don't ask for observers from Africa or from Asia. But when we have elections, they want observers" - Nelson Mandela

Re: [Micronet] How to print from other subnets to networked HP printer?

Bruce Satow
Thanks everyone for the input!  Yep it was the firmware.    How terrible is that?  One of the guys upgraded the firmware to the latest version and it worked.

I even called HP.  I assumed since they were new printers, they would of come with the latest firmware installed.  Calling their tech support led to an hour trying to talk with someone who couldn't understand what I was talking about.  They didn't know what a subnet was or what routing was.  It was a waste of time.

So the HP LaserJet Enterprise 500 color M551 is "now" a very good printer.  It is fast and the print quality is exceptional.   You just have to make sure you are using the following firmware revision: 2131305_192070.zip

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=4184772&prodNameId=4184891&swEnvOID=54&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=lj-99508-3

It can be upgraded via the web configuration page.  Then a power off and reboot.