[Micronet] Imaging multiple computers

Guy D. VINSON
At some point in the past some change to campus networking caused the
ability to multicast computers on a network to go South. I remember
being able to image a lab in one go, now we seem to be limited to
doing one machine at a time. I have questions...

Can anyone explain what happened to cause that ability to stop being
possible using a product like Ghost. Also what are other folks doing
to image computers on this campus in a sane manner. I guess I could
alway network together our lab separate of the campus network to allow
this process, at least for imaging purposes, but I am just wondering
if there are better ways to skin this cat.
---
Guy Vinson
Computer Support
College of Environmental Design

Re: [Micronet] Imaging multiple computers

ken lindahl
hi Guy,

On 7/2/2010 11:04 AM, guy vinson wrote:

> At some point in the past some change to campus networking caused the
> ability to multicast computers on a network to go South. I remember
> being able to image a lab in one go, now we seem to be limited to
> doing one machine at a time. I have questions...
>
> Can anyone explain what happened to cause that ability to stop being
> possible using a product like Ghost. Also what are other folks doing
> to image computers on this campus in a sane manner. I guess I could
> alway network together our lab separate of the campus network to allow
> this process, at least for imaging purposes, but I am just wondering
> if there are better ways to skin this cat.
> ---
> Guy Vinson
> Computer Support
> College of Environmental Design
> 510-705-3902

there have not been changes to campus networking that (intentionally) caused multicast to not work, with one exception: IP multicast was disabled on nearly all subnets in the Data Center, to avoid a repeat of a serious performance problem. (i'm not convinced that disabling multicast was the correct thing to do in that case, but that's a different issue.)

so: are any of your image servers or clients on Data Center subnets?

also: do your servers and/or clients have the standard, campus-distributed SEP firewall installed and operational? the configuration, as distributed, blocks IP multicast. you might try temporarily disabling the firewall part of SEP and testing. fwiw, i've done some investigation or the SEP/multicast issue, and i don't think there's a good way to make it work: i've had to specifically allow IGMP (used for multicast group joins and leaves) and add a rule that allows *all* inbound UDP traffic -- there doesn't appear to be any way to do this only for packets with a multicast destination IP address and multicast can use the entire UDP port range. i don't consider this investigation finished, but i'm out of ideas.

beyond those things, i can't think of any reason that multicast should not work for you. feel free to follow up with me privately if you wish.

everyone: i did not see any other replies to Guy's query. is no one else using Ghost?

thanks,
ken