[Micronet] Import Campus Mail Addresses to Thunderbird?

[Micronet] Import Campus Mail Addresses to Thunderbird?

Jon Johnsen
A user has asked us:
> Is there a campus email address book that I can import into my email?
We don't know.

Is there?  I do recall doing something like that with Eudora a few years
back.

--
Jon Johnsen
Information Systems Office

Re: [Micronet] Import Campus Mail Addresses to Thunderbird?

Ian Crew
Hi Jon:

See https://kb.berkeley.edu/kb1945

Cheers,

Ian

On Jan 27, 2012, at 1:45 PM, Jon Johnsen wrote:

> A user has asked us:
>> Is there a campus email address book that I can import into my email?
> We don't know.
>
> Is there?  I do recall doing something like that with Eudora a few years
> back.
>
> --
> Jon Johnsen
> Information Systems Office
> 433 University Hall
> School of Public Health, UC Berkeley
> 510 643-4357

Information Services and Technology-Research and Content Technologies
University of California, Berkeley
2195 Hearst Ave, Second Floor
http://hub.berkeley.edu

Re: [Micronet] Import Campus Mail Addresses to Thunderbird?

Rune Stromsness
On 27-Jan-12 13:45, Jon Johnsen wrote:
> A user has asked us:
>> Is there a campus email address book that I can import into my email?
> We don't know.
>
> Is there?  I do recall doing something like that with Eudora a few years
> back.

See the KB article on how to make Thunderbird look at campus LDAP:

https://kb.berkeley.edu/jivekb/entry.jspa?externalID=1945

That's the only thing I know of along those lines.

Rune

--
Rune Stromsness
Network Operations & Services
Information Services and Technology

Re: [Micronet] Import Campus Mail Addresses to Thunderbird?

Robert Smith, Jr.
You have to connect to the LDAP server. Instructions can be found here:

https://wikihub.berkeley.edu/display/calnet/Connecting+to+the+Directory

-Robert
On 1/27/2012 1:45 PM, Jon Johnsen wrote:
A user has asked us:
Is there a campus email address book that I can import into my email?
We don't know.

Is there?  I do recall doing something like that with Eudora a few years
back.

--
Robert Smith, Jr.
Distribution Workleader

UCB Library Catalog Dept.
250 Moffitt Library #6000

rsmith.vcf (363 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: [Micronet] Import Campus Mail Addresses to Thunderbird?

The LDAP route is the way to go.

I have a Thunderbird LDIF format _departmental_ file, and a vcard
version suitable for Mac Mail which I regenerate every morning. But we
may be a special case. We don't need all xx,000 people! We have less
than 500 people.

Everyone in the building is an employee, so they appear in an LDAP
lookup using an anonymous bind. I just abstract the names, phone
numbers, and email addresses.

We do this for two reasons:
1) It works well for our laptop users who want a look-up facility
without making network connections back to campus. Home systems are
another example.
2) We can still use LDAP for the whole campus, but the local list avoids
unexpected results due to name matching (people are so unobservant, and
I'm one of them).

The addressbook does have to be dumped and re-imported periodically, it
is not automatic like the LDAP link.

Because we have no students (as students) on the books, I can also use
the campus LDAP service for our department web directory without special
access. Another function is that I can tell when people are hired and
let go by running diffs on the list. (Yes, I should be informed of this
for account management, but confirmation is useful, especially for
student hires.)

Graham

On 1/27/12 1:45 PM, Jon Johnsen wrote:
> A user has asked us:
>> Is there a campus email address book that I can import into my email?
> We don't know.
>
> Is there?  I do recall doing something like that with Eudora a few years
> back.

Re: [Micronet] Import Campus Mail Addresses to Thunderbird?

Scot Hacker

On Jan 27, 2012, at 1:48 PM, Robert Smith, Jr. wrote:

> You have to connect to the LDAP server. Instructions can be found here:
>
> https://wikihub.berkeley.edu/display/calnet/Connecting+to+the+Directory

This is cool. The instructions for Apple Address Book need to be updated for Lion (quite a bit different from what's written there), but here's what threw me: After making the connection, you don't see any new entries in your Address Book. However, in Mail.app you immediately start getting type-ahead suggestions for everyone on campus. Nice.

./s

Scot Hacker
Senior Software Developer @ CalCentral
Educational Technology Services, UC Berkeley

Re: [Micronet] Import Campus Mail Addresses to Thunderbird?

Jon Johnsen
Thanks everyone.