[Micronet] Internet kiosks for desk-less workers?

[Micronet] Internet kiosks for desk-less workers?

Ian Crew
Hi all:

I vaguely recall from several years ago that there was an initiative to make internet kiosks available to workers that don't work at desks (e.g., cooks, custodians, gardeners, maintenance techs, etc.) especially in the units that have a larger concentration of those sorts of folks, like Housing and Dining and Facilities Services.

Am I remembering correctly? If so, I'd love to get in touch when the the folks who run those kiosks--if you know who that might be, please contact me.

Thanks!

___
Ian Crew

IST-Architecture, Platforms and Integration (API)
Earl Warren Hall, Second Floor

To learn more about Micronet, please visit the Micronet Web site: http://micronet.berkeley.edu

Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet. This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Micronet" group.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/a/lists.berkeley.edu/group/micronet-list/.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/lists.berkeley.edu/d/msgid/micronet-list/CAD2sLFtvgFD4UqO3hoxiNuGexQNwZzaoN5JEVxU538jZUPBZQw%40mail.gmail.com.

Re: [Micronet] Internet kiosks for desk-less workers?

Keenan Parmelee-2
Hey Ian,

We support a number of Kiosks of various requirements in Student Affairs.  I think the key distinction here is if there needs to be a public (no authentication) option vs a calnet option.  Since you're talking about employees, they all should have CalNets and thus can sign in via Active Directory.  That makes security and accountability all the better.

A good starting point is the ISP document on Kiosks: https://security.berkeley.edu/campus-guidelines-kiosk-workstations.

If all you're doing is calnet auth in some work areas (not publicly accessible), then I'd say the standard EEI Berkeley Desktop image would be sufficient, along with perhaps some strict GPOs and/or AppLocker settings.  That's really the easiest option based off what you said you're looking for.

Having a steady state is a great security option for kiosk-type machines.  If you can afford Deep Freeze, that's a great way to handle it.  Otherwise, you can use a Mandatory User Profile on Windows to essentially clear out user data upon log out or do some other scripting stuff to accomplish similar ends.

Feel free to ping me offline if you want any more of the technical details or if you want to brainstorm ideas.  I've been wanting to redesign some of our Kiosk implementations in SAIT for a while now so I've put a bit of thought into how to accomplish it.

---
Keenan Parmelee
Technical Services Manager
Student Affairs Information Technologies
http://rescomp.berkeley.edu

On Tue, May 3, 2016 at 6:27 PM, Ian Crew <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/lists.berkeley.edu/d/msgid/micronet-list/CAK-nNKhjvOK2_PA0pKSzmt7DzUw28__2kvj0FiU-H8rQ%3DG2wdg%40mail.gmail.com.

Re: [Micronet] Internet kiosks for desk-less workers?

Ryan Lovett-2
I don't operate any kiosks, but for nature of the computing you're describing I'd look at a ChromeOS-based device like a ChromeBox or Chromebook. They're basically bConnected boxes.

Ryan

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/lists.berkeley.edu/d/msgid/micronet-list/CAOJKoA%2BfQipqr6dt7sVYMqektcp2xUEG%3Dts_iAUyjYmszPqMFg%40mail.gmail.com.