[Micronet] Is the AirBears address range published somewhere?

[Micronet] Is the AirBears address range published somewhere?

Garey Mills

--
Generate messages about directories that cannot  be
read,  files  that  cannot be opened ... rather than being silent ...

Re: [Micronet] Is the AirBears address range published somewhere?

Luke Rockwell

Luke Rockwell
Systems Administrator
Information Technology

Cal Alumni Association | UC Berkeley
1 Alumni House, Berkeley, CA 94720
T 510.900.8196
F 510.642.6252

Commitment, Support, Passion

_____________________________________

alumni.berkeley.edu

_____________________________________

Facebook | LinkedIn

On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 4:35 PM, Garey Mills <[hidden email]> wrote:

--
Generate messages about directories that cannot  be
read,  files  that  cannot be opened ... rather than being silent ...
(from `man du`)

Re: [Micronet] Is the AirBears address range published somewhere?

Gary Thomas
Hi Steve,

Due to the roaming nature of wireless networking, any user could acquire
an IP address and roam to a different building and maintain their
original address.  This means that wireless is treated as a campus-wide
system and there is no direct IP-to-Building mapping. In the infancy of
campus wireless, this was once true, but improvements to the system
design has rendered that model obsolete.

Thank you,
Gary Thomas
aka - AirBears Dude

On 8/21/2014 17:09, Steve Chan wrote:

>    Cool - perhaps I'm being greedy, but has anyone written a front end
> that maps from subnet to a building on the campus map? An ip to
> lat/long function would do the trick - easy to do, just tedious.
>
>    Steve
>
> Steve Chan
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>

> On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 4:37 PM, Luke Rockwell
> <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     http://net.berkeley.edu/netinfo/ip/

>     *Luke Rockwell*
>     Systems Administrator
>     Information Technology

>     Cal Alumni Association | UC Berkeley
>     1 Alumni House, Berkeley, CA 94720
>     *T* 510.900.8196
>     *F* 510.642.6252

>     /Commitment, Support, Passion/
>
>     _____________________________________
>
>     *alumni.berkeley.edu <http://alumni.berkeley.edu/>*
>
>     _____________________________________
>
>     *Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/CalAlumni> | LinkedIn
>     <http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=70245>*
>

>     On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 4:35 PM, Garey Mills
>     wrote:
>

>         --
>         Generate messages about directories that cannot  be
>         read,  files  that  cannot be opened ... rather than being
>         silent ...
>         (from `man du`)

>         upcoming meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>
>         http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
>         Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
>         world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and
>         searched on the Internet.  This means these messages can be
>         viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers,
>         and people who have known you in the past.

>     upcoming meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>
>     http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
>     Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
>     world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and
>     searched on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed
>     by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people
>     who have known you in the past.

Gary Thomas
Wireless Network Engineer
Network Services and Operations