[Micronet] Large File Distribution

Jessie Heminway, MPS
Hi Everyone,

One of my faculty wants to distribute a file that is 570 MB to her students.
She does not use bSpace or the Research Hub.

I don't want to eat up my BOX space for this....
Any suggestions for doing this?

Thanks,

Jessie

Re: [Micronet] Large File Distribution

Luke Rockwell
Have her use her box account. It is so easy to do

On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 1:55 PM, Jessie Heminway, MPS <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Everyone,

One of my faculty wants to distribute a file that is 570 MB to her students.
She does not use bSpace or the Research Hub.

I don't want to eat up my BOX space for this....
Any suggestions for doing this?

Thanks,

Jessie

Luke Rockwell
Systems and Support Analyst
Information Technology

Cal Alumni Association | UC Berkeley
1 Alumni House, Berkeley, CA 94720
T 510.900.8196
F 510.642.6252

140 Years of Alumni Excellence
Commitment, Support, Passion

_____________________________________

alumni.berkeley.edu

Re: [Micronet] Large File Distribution

Lois Wareham-2
What about (bConnected) Drive. It's already 'attached' to her bMail, she would be using her own space, and she could make it so that anyone with the link can access the document.

Lois Wareham
University Health Services, IT
510.643.2321

On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 1:55 PM, Jessie Heminway, MPS <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Everyone,

One of my faculty wants to distribute a file that is 570 MB to her students.
She does not use bSpace or the Research Hub.

I don't want to eat up my BOX space for this....
Any suggestions for doing this?

Thanks,

Jessie

Re: [Micronet] Large File Distribution

Hari Hirani
There is a solution by a company called YouSendIt (for sending and sharing Large Files).

Regards,
Hari

On May 9, 2013, at 1:55 PM, "Jessie Heminway, MPS" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> One of my faculty wants to distribute a file that is 570 MB to her students.
> She does not use bSpace or the Research Hub.
>
> I don't want to eat up my BOX space for this....
> Any suggestions for doing this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jessie

Re: [Micronet] Large File Distribution

Mark Ingles
Hi Jessie,

Everyone at UC Berkeley has 50GB quota on Box. Why not ask the faculty member to create a Box account and share it? It's extremely easy. Signing up is as simple as logging in with a Calnet ID:

https://berkeley.box.com/login

Mark

On May 9, 2013, at 1:55 PM, "Jessie Heminway, MPS" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> One of my faculty wants to distribute a file that is 570 MB to her students.
> She does not use bSpace or the Research Hub.
>
> I don't want to eat up my BOX space for this....
> Any suggestions for doing this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jessie

Re: [Micronet] Large File Distribution

Johnathon P. Kogelman
Have the faculty member create her own account, it takes less than a minute to generate one. Upload the file to her account, then generate a URL that she can send to the students via email. Otherwise the faculty member could share the file, but that would be a bit of work adding a lot of users to a single folder.

For more info on url/sharing:

On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 1:55 PM, Jessie Heminway, MPS <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Everyone,

One of my faculty wants to distribute a file that is 570 MB to her students.
She does not use bSpace or the Research Hub.

I don't want to eat up my BOX space for this....
Any suggestions for doing this?

Thanks,

Jessie

Johnathon P. Kogelman
Information Systems
College of Chemistry
University of California at Berkeley
Berkeley, California 94720-1460
Ph (510) 643-3533, Fax (510) 666-2570
[hidden email]
http://chemistry.berkeley.edu/it/

Re: [Micronet] Large File Distribution

Guy D. VINSON
How about the faculty member using their Box account? or even a dropbox account

On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 1:55 PM, Jessie Heminway, MPS <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Everyone,

One of my faculty wants to distribute a file that is 570 MB to her students.
She does not use bSpace or the Research Hub.

I don't want to eat up my BOX space for this....
Any suggestions for doing this?

Thanks,

Jessie

Guy Vinson
Infrastructure & IT
College of Environmental Design
University of California at Berkeley

Re: [Micronet] Large File Distribution

We generally use our web server for non-sensitive large file pickups. We
have a folder designated for it that is auto mirrored from our file server.

Why use your Box space? What's wrong with theirs? 8-)

Graham

On 5/9/13 1:55 PM, Jessie Heminway, MPS wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> One of my faculty wants to distribute a file that is 570 MB to her students.
> She does not use bSpace or the Research Hub.
>
> I don't want to eat up my BOX space for this....
> Any suggestions for doing this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jessie

Re: [Micronet] Large File Distribution

Patrick McGrath
Not to beat a dead horse here, but the Box solution seems to be very appropriate for this kind of use case.

The individual space quota of 50 GB is actually pretty significant when we take a look at comparative usage across the campus. In fact, over 80% of box's use  right now is below 100 meg per user and we have very very few people that are using over 30 GB.

Should the faculty member have specific needs beyond the 50 gig, please contact me directly for some other alternatives.

We see many cases also, where The sharing of large data sets is for a certain period of time only time, which presents an opportunity to juggle quota usage as well.

Hope that all makes sense.

Cheers, Patrick

Sent from my iPhone