[Micronet] Leasing laptops

Luis Torres
Hello Micronet Users,

Does anyone know if the university offers a service (or a 3rd party service entity that works
with the University) for leasing computing equipment?  We’re looking into leasing
laptop computers and Linux servers.

Thanks,
-----
Luis Torres
Systems Administrator PATH/ICM, UC Berkeley
x25790

Re: [Micronet] Leasing laptops

Guy D. VINSON
Just curious... why lease? Given the short lifespan and low cost of laptops I can't think that would be a good investment, same with servers really. Just curious as I say...

Guy

Guy Vinson-retired
510-842-7199

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 10:03 AM, Luis Torres <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Micronet Users,

Does anyone know if the university offers a service (or a 3rd party service entity that works
with the University) for leasing computing equipment?  We’re looking into leasing
laptop computers and Linux servers.

Thanks,
-----
Luis Torres
Systems Administrator PATH/ICM, UC Berkeley
x25790

Re: [Micronet] Leasing laptops

Richard DeShong-2
For the server, maybe the contract allows you to "rent" the servers from IST, using one of their Data Center services.

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 11:37 AM, Greg MERRITT <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Richard DeShong, Systems Analyst, Athletic Study Center, U.C.Berkeley
164 Chavez Student Center, Berkeley, CA, 94720-4220
510-642-5123     asc.berkeley.edu

Re: [Micronet] Leasing laptops

jon kuroda-2
depending on one's definition of "server", IST's cloudy services
could suffice for the servers:

http://ist.berkeley.edu/is/platforms/cloud
http://ist.berkeley.edu/services/is/virtual-servers

--Jon