[Micronet] Mac Word 2011 <-> Win Word 2007 equation editor compatibility?

[Micronet] Mac Word 2011 <-> Win Word 2007 equation editor compatibility?

Greg Merritt
Ok, we've done our fair share, we think, of banging our heads against
Google / Mactopia / wiki / review sites / etc., but we can't seem to
come up with confirmation that the new equation editor in Word 2011
for Mac is compatible with the equation editor in Word 2007 for Windows.

Anybody know for sure, or have a reliable reference?

Thanks!

Re: [Micronet] Mac Word 2011 <-> Win Word 2007 equation editor compatibility?

Jonathan Felder
Wouldn't it make more sense to compare Mac Word 2011 with Win Word 2010?

On 10/26/2010 2:36 PM, Greg Merritt wrote:

> Ok, we've done our fair share, we think, of banging our heads against
> Google / Mactopia / wiki / review sites / etc., but we can't seem to
> come up with confirmation that the new equation editor in Word 2011
> for Mac is compatible with the equation editor in Word 2007 for Windows.
>
> Anybody know for sure, or have a reliable reference?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Greg

Re: [Micronet] [MAGNet] Mac Word 2011 <-> Win Word 2007 equation editor compatibility?

Marilyn Saarni
Funny -- the LBNL MUG list just had a long discussion about Equation Editor issues.

Clearly the Office switch to XML has made Equation Editor of very limited use -- the blacked-out blocks when one crosses Word versions is only one problem; the bitmap conversion (loss of resolution, which apparently is much disliked by journal editors) and no way to edit makes it less useful for collaborative writing.  So folks up there are abandoning Equation Editor altogether.

The list's conclusion -- do all of your equations in LaTex.

(That groaning in the background is mine in my support role...too many people will refuse to learn it, though there are online LaTex equation editors -- import into Word is in png or gif).

Or if you have some funds, buy MathType (Equation Editor's USEFUL and re-editable sibling).  But collaborators would need MathType too.

We're looking at MathType department or bulk licensing, but its terms are a bit limiting, and we have lots of people who have already shifted to LaTex, so they are not interested.  (Academic department license makes it free to all students associated with the department.)

I just discovered a product called MathMagic, (http://www.mathmagic.com/), which is very competitive with MathType, but I don't know how good it is yet.

(I can do equations as fast in illustrator as in LaTex, but absolutely nobody mentions that option.)

- Marilyn

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Marilyn Saarni
Center for Isotope Geochemistry
Earth and Planetary Science Dept, UC Berkeley
   or Earth Sciences Division, LBNL
475 McCone Hall #4767
Berkeley CA 94720-4767 - USA
T (01) 510/643-5063 * F (01) 510/642-9520

On Oct 26, 2010, at 2:36 PM, Greg Merritt wrote:

Ok, we've done our fair share, we think, of banging our heads against
Google / Mactopia / wiki / review sites / etc., but we can't seem to
come up with confirmation that the new equation editor in Word 2011
for Mac is compatible with the equation editor in Word 2007 for Windows.

Anybody know for sure, or have a reliable reference?

Thanks!

http://magnet.berkeley.edu

Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet. This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] [MAGNet] Mac Word 2011 <-> Win Word 2007 equation editor compatibility?

Greg Merritt
Wowzers!  Thanks for the summary, Marilyn.

What a can of worms!

-Greg

On Oct 26, 2010, at 5:14 PM, Marilyn Saarni wrote:

> Funny -- the LBNL MUG list just had a long discussion about Equation
> Editor issues.

Re: [Micronet] [MAGNet] Mac Word 2011 <-> Win Word 2007 equation editor compatibility?

James E. Blair
Marilyn Saarni <[hidden email]> writes:

> The list's conclusion -- do all of your equations in LaTex.
>
> (That groaning in the background is mine in my support role...too many
> people will refuse to learn it, though there are online LaTex equation
> editors -- import into Word is in png or gif).

LaTeX users (and those that support them) may be interested in XeTeX
(and XeLaTeX):

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XeTeX

  http://scripts.sil.org/xetex

It is free software, uses unicode, supports OpenType fonts (directly
using system fonts under OS X and Linux with no additional
configuration), produces direct PDF output, and generally works with
most LaTeX packages.

The, ah, user interface is the same that TeX users are accustomed to (it
does work with the TeXShop GUI on OS X).

-Jim
\bye