[Micronet] MacBook, external display, Hz

[Micronet] MacBook, external display, Hz

Ryan Lovett-2
A faculty has purchased the new MacBook along with the USB C multiport adapter:

This adapter allows you to mirror your MacBook display to your HDMI-enabled TV or display in up to 1080p at 60Hz or UHD (3840x2160) at 30Hz.

While she wants a high resolution display (greater or equal to 2560x1440) at 24", I know she does not want to be scrolling documents and dragging windows at 30Hz for very long. What I cannot find out from the tech specs and from Apple support is whether this MacBook or any other can drive high res monitors at greater frequencies when the lid is closed.

I know the new MacBook and adapter are unique, but can anyone with a recent MacBook comment on whether external displays can be driven at higher frequencies (not resolutions) in closed-clamshell mode?

Ryan

Re: [Micronet] MacBook, external display, Hz

Tim Gotch
Hi Ryan,

I have no direct experience with this scenario yet, but those specs sound like the adapter supports HDMI 1.4, which caps at 3840x2160 @30hz. However, I bet that if it can handle that, it'll probably do 2560x1440 @60hz just fine (provided that Apple gives you the option to actually select that resolution in the preferences... Option-click the Scaled button in Display prefs for a full list.)

Regards,
Tim Gotch
UC Berkeley Educational Technology Services
Digital Media Support & Classroom Technology
510-220-5193 • [hidden email]

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 2:58 PM, Ryan Lovett <[hidden email]> wrote:
A faculty has purchased the new MacBook along with the USB C multiport adapter:

This adapter allows you to mirror your MacBook display to your HDMI-enabled TV or display in up to 1080p at 60Hz or UHD (3840x2160) at 30Hz.

While she wants a high resolution display (greater or equal to 2560x1440) at 24", I know she does not want to be scrolling documents and dragging windows at 30Hz for very long. What I cannot find out from the tech specs and from Apple support is whether this MacBook or any other can drive high res monitors at greater frequencies when the lid is closed.

I know the new MacBook and adapter are unique, but can anyone with a recent MacBook comment on whether external displays can be driven at higher frequencies (not resolutions) in closed-clamshell mode?

Ryan

Re: [Micronet] MacBook, external display, Hz

Ian Crew
For what it's worth:

1) I don't recall ever seeing a Mac laptop that offered more/different video support when in clamshell mode than when it was open.  (Doesn't mean it has never/won't ever happen, but it would be a little unusual.)

2) The 24" 4K Dell P2415Q gets pretty good reviews (as does the 27" Dell P2715Q, which doesn't cost much more).  If you're going to experiment with that, though, I'd get it from someplace with a good return policy--we're all guessing a little about whether it'll work as you hope.

3) Note that the new Retina MacBook can't drive Apple's 27" Thunderbolt display (USB C≠Thunderbolt).

Hope that's useful somehow.

Ian

On Apr 22, 2015, at 5:54 PM, Ryan Lovett <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

___
Ian Crew

IST-Architecture, Platforms and Integration (API)
Earl Warren Hall, Second Floor

Re: [Micronet] MacBook, external display, Hz

Ryan Lovett-2
Thanks! One blogger's review of that monitor said that it wasn't too blurry when upscaling but for this purpose any blurriness is not acceptable. There is the possibility that 3rd parties will release HDMI 2.0 USB C adapters down the road, maybe even before the MacBook actually ships. :)

Oh well, I think I'll play it safe this time.

Ryan

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 6:28 PM, Ian Crew <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Soeren Berg Glasius
I have an old MBP (2011) that runs 2560 x 1440 on an external display while the internal display is doing it's regular business.

Best regards,

Søren Berg Glasius

Identity Management Web App Lead
IS&T – Enterprise Data Services Department
Mobile: +1 510 984 8362