[Micronet] Mail Merge for Email on Mac

Devin P Richards
Hello,

I'm attempting to find a solution to emailing a large list of individuals (applicants to a program) with individual emails. I'm trying to avoid a mail template service such as mail chimp or the such.

I've been exploring mail merge solutions in google apps, but those appear to be blocked by bmail. Does any know of or have experience or resources for a method or application that can send unique emails - addressed to each individual - en mass?

Many thanks,
Devin

Devin P Richards
Cal Teach // Math for America Berkeley
Berkeley Science and Math Initiative
475 Evans Hall
p: <a href="tel:%28510%29%20643-3813" value="+15106433813" style="color:rgb(17,85,204)" target="_blank">(510) 643-3813 // f: <a href="tel:%28510%29%20643-2261" value="+15106432261" style="color:rgb(17,85,204)" target="_blank">(510) 643-2261

Re: [Micronet] Mail Merge for Email on Mac

Jeff Royal
I use an inexpensive Outlook add-on called "Easy Mail Merge for Outlook" that does a good job and is easy to use.  You can also use a Google script that can send out a customized mass mailing based on a template.  It is pretty easy, actually but there is a hard limit (by Google) of 500 emails via script per day (I think).

Jeff

Jeff Royal, Institutional Research Analyst
Office of Planning & Analysis
UC Berkeley

On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 10:33 AM, Devin P Richards <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Richard DeShong-2
You could use a calmail email list.  Subscription can be via a text file list of emails.

[...]

Richard DeShong, Systems Analyst, Athletic Study Center, U.C.Berkeley
164 Chavez Student Center, Berkeley, CA, 94720-4220
510-642-5123     asc.berkeley.edu

Re: [Micronet] Mail Merge for Email on Mac

Jan Pardoe
I had heard that add-ons in bMail/bDrive were going to be enabled soon.  I just tried, and was able to install Yet Another Mail Merge.  I haven't had time to test it yet, but it sounds good.  If it works, my group will finally be able to stop supporting Thunderbird, which we've been keeping only for mail merge.

Jan
--
Jan Pardoe                                     [hidden email]
Manager, Administrative Computing              <a href="tel:510-643-7848" value="+15106437848" target="_blank">510-643-7848 (voice)

On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 10:43 AM, Richard DESHONG <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Jon Broshious-2
Mail Merge is not blocked in our "bMail" domain. But you do need a file to work from. You cannot create one in our domain.
There are several different kinds of already built Merge worksheets available on line. I'll send Devin one he can fill in with his names and addresses and so forth that should work for his purpose. But anybody can find an already built one to suit their purpose.

Note that the worksheet must be loaded in your Google Drive. It should be owned by the email account being used to send email, or at least shared with edit rights. And avoid sending so many emails at one time that your account gets throttled back.

Jon Broshious

On 4/21/2015 10:41 AM, Jeff Royal wrote:
[...]

p: <a moz-do-not-send="true" href="tel:%28510%29%20643-3813" value="+15106433813" style="color:rgb(17,85,204)" target="_blank">(510) 643-3813 // f: <a moz-do-not-send="true" href="tel:%28510%29%20643-2261" value="+15106432261" style="color:rgb(17,85,204)" target="_blank">(510) 643-2261

Jon Broshious
Information Services and Technology
Architecture, Platforms, and Integration
Enterprise Email Systems

Re: [Micronet] Mail Merge for Email on Mac

Russell Connacher
MS Word for Mac also can merge to email (rather than to a document). The caveat is that you have to set your default mail app to Outlook.

Best,
Russ

[...]

Architecture, Platforms, and Integration, IST, UC Berkeley
2111 Bancroft Way, rm 513, Berkeley, CA 94720-4880
510-452-7159  [hidden email]

2850 Telegraph Ave., Suite 600
Berkeley, CA   94720-4910 (campus mail)
Berkeley, CA   94705-1192 (US mail)

Re: [Micronet] Mail Merge for Email on Mac

David Elvins
I've used the MS Word method successfully, but would add a couple more tips: it works best when set to output HTML format rather than plain text; and most importantly, the 'Complete Merge' section of the process is very complete - the emails are sent out without further warning, which was a surprise to me!

Best,

David

David Elvins
University of California, Berkeley
Lab Manager for Inez Fung, Carbon-Climate Interactions Group
395 McCone #4767
Berkeley, CA 94720-4767
Tel: (510) 643-8336

From: Russell Connacher <[hidden email]>
Date: Tuesday, April 21, 2015 at 11:21 AM
To: Devin P Richards <[hidden email]>
Cc: <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Micronet] Mail Merge for Email on Mac

------------------------------------------------------------------------- The following was automatically added to this message by the list server: To learn more about Micronet, including how to subscribe to or unsubscribe from its mailing list and how to find out about upcoming meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site: http://micronet.berkeley.edu Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet. This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past. ANNOUNCEMENTS: To send announcements to the Micronet list, please use the [hidden email] list.