[Micronet] Map Google Drive on Windows and Mac

[Micronet] Map Google Drive on Windows and Mac

Cedr Departmental
Hello:

I am interested in using Google Drive as a file sharing resource and I would like to know if anyone has tried mapping it as a network drive (in that there is no syncing of folders involve). I know that users can selective sync the folders with Google Drive client installed, but we'd prefer to see everything in a letter-drive and work from it.

I appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Thank you,
Jonas

Re: [Micronet] Map Google Drive on Windows and Mac

Ian Crew
Hi Jonas:

You might want to check out ExpanDrive, which claims to do this for Google and Box (as well as a number of other services that aren't centrally supported on campus).  I've heard good things about it from people I trust, but I don't have personal experience with it. It is commercial software.

As a potential alternative, if you use Box instead of Drive, you can connect to Box with WebDAV, which will give you what you're looking for, albeit somewhat slowly.  Depending on your needs, that may be sufficient (and the price--free--is right).  To access it via WebDAV, you'll need to set an external password  the see the WebDAV instructions. Note that the instructions to use "Your Box account email address" should follow the [hidden email] format, if your CalNet ID differs from your primary @berkeley.edu email address.

See http://kb.berkeley.edu/page.php?id=44390 for a summary of the different collaboration platforms here on campus and the strengths of each.

Hope that helps,

Ian

On Apr 13, 2015, at 12:21 PM, Cedr Departmental <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello:

I am interested in using Google Drive as a file sharing resource and I would like to know if anyone has tried mapping it as a network drive (in that there is no syncing of folders involve). I know that users can selective sync the folders with Google Drive client installed, but we'd prefer to see everything in a letter-drive and work from it.

I appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Thank you,
Jonas

___
Ian Crew

IST-Architecture, Platforms and Integration (API)
Earl Warren Hall, Second Floor

Re: [Micronet] Map Google Drive on Windows and Mac

Cedr Departmental
Hi Ian,

Thank you for the suggestion for ExpanDrive. I am experimenting with all WebDav w/ Box, ExpanDrive and Webdrive with Google Drive. WebDav and Box didn't seem to work well as a well known it repeatedly asks for username and password. I am looking into a fix on this. I will let you know how ExpanDrive and WebDrive turn out.

Thanks again,
Jonas

On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 5:17 PM, Ian Crew <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Michael Chung
Hi Erol,

For what it's worth, I was able to install the ExpanDrive trial on a Windows 8.1 machine and it has connected to bDrive without any problems.

I am noticing that I'm unable to launch Google Documents/Sheets from the mapped ExpanDrive into a browser. Not sure if others are seeing this (screenshot below). I've added another Google Apps account into ExpanDrive (from completely different domain) and I'm able to launch Documents and Sheets into a browser from that account. Perhaps something specific in bDrive needs to be turned on to support this?

Inline image 3

Michael Chung
Systems Administrator
Enterprise Computing & Service Management
Haas School of Business, UC Berkeley
Student Services Building, Room S300D
Berkeley, CA 94720-1900

Typical Office Schedule