[Micronet] Microsoft Will Silently Upgrade Everyone To Latest Version Of IE | TechCrunch

[Micronet] Microsoft Will Silently Upgrade Everyone To Latest Version Of IE | TechCrunch

Ian Crew
<base href="data:"><base href="data:">
Hi all:

I vaguely recall something about incompatibilities between certain campus systems and the newer versions of IE, so I thought you all might want to be aware of the news from Microsoft this morning:

http://techcrunch.com/2011/12/15/about-damn-time-microsoft-will-silently-upgrade-everyone-to-latest-version-of-ie/

Cheers,

Information Services and Technology-Research and Content Technologies
University of California, Berkeley
2195 Hearst Ave, Second Floor

jks

Re: [Micronet] Microsoft Will Silently Upgrade Everyone To Latest Version Of IE | TechCrunch

jks
<base href="data:">

Micronetters,

I wanted to add some additional information for computers using the campus Windows Server Update Service (WSUS).  We have avoided approving any browser upgrades since the release of IE7 and will continue to leave them out of future automatic updates.  Browser upgrades can be installed manually if users require a newer version.

More info about the campus WSUS service can be found at-

https://calnetad.berkeley.edu/Services/Pages/wsus.aspx

Also, a toolkit is available for computers not pointing to our update server that will block the automatic installation of IE9.  This is available on the Microsoft website at-

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=179

John

---------------------------------

John Shioshita

IST - Enterprise Windows Team

510.220.7429

gts

Re: [Micronet] Microsoft Will Silently Upgrade Everyone To Latest Version Of IE | TechCrunch

gts
Alas, browsers are still so incompatible, and new versions in particular so likely to break existing applications, that changing any browser version upgrade from optional to automatic will no doubt be a disaster.

Major version upgrades need to be evaluated for changes affecting security and privacy. Most new features compromise security and privacy, or disrupt carefully designed setups.

Perhaps there will be (should be) a delay between release of a new version and the change from optional to automatic. Or system administrators need to be able to block major version upgrades without disabling regular system upgrades.

greg
"On a network, paranoia is just good thinking", Lowell Detloff

http://hub.berkeley.edu