[Micronet] Moving a Windows 7 to Different Hardware?

[Micronet] Moving a Windows 7 to Different Hardware?

Jon Forrest
When Windows 7 first came out I asked whether
anybody had tried restoring an Windows 7 image
backup to a system with different hardware
than the source system. At the time, Windows 7
was too new so nobody knew for sure what
would happen. Now that time has passed,
I wonder if anybody has any experience with this.

I also wonder what happens if you move a disk
containing Windows 7 to another system with different
hardware. I'm hoping that Windows 7 has
enough intelligence to detect the new hardware
and to be able to run well enough to then
allow you to install any missing drivers.

Cordially,
--
Jon Forrest
Research Computing Support

Re: [Micronet] Moving a Windows 7 to Different Hardware?

gartim
I'm in the process of cloning a bunch of win7, office 2010 and should
know how well how it works sometime next week. i'm using all 64bit
(office2010/win7) so (you know this) i couldnt go to a 32 architecture.
will report back or maybe someone has done this??

-- gary

On Thu, Apr 07, 2011 at 11:11:22AM -0700, Jon Forrest wrote:

>When Windows 7 first came out I asked whether
>anybody had tried restoring an Windows 7 image
>backup to a system with different hardware
>than the source system. At the time, Windows 7
>was too new so nobody knew for sure what
>would happen. Now that time has passed,
>I wonder if anybody has any experience with this.
>
>I also wonder what happens if you move a disk
>containing Windows 7 to another system with different
>hardware. I'm hoping that Windows 7 has
>enough intelligence to detect the new hardware
>and to be able to run well enough to then
>allow you to install any missing drivers.
>
>Cordially,
>--
>Jon Forrest
>Research Computing Support
>College of Chemistry
>173 Tan Hall
>University of California Berkeley
>Berkeley, CA
>94720-1460
>510-643-1032
>[hidden email]

>http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
>Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] Moving a Windows 7 to Different Hardware?

Jimmy Wu
it is worth trying microsoft wim imaging as well, it is file based and
independent to the hardware.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee523217%28WS.10%29.aspx

-j

On 4/7/11 11:11 AM, Jon Forrest wrote:

> When Windows 7 first came out I asked whether
> anybody had tried restoring an Windows 7 image
> backup to a system with different hardware
> than the source system. At the time, Windows 7
> was too new so nobody knew for sure what
> would happen. Now that time has passed,
> I wonder if anybody has any experience with this.
>
> I also wonder what happens if you move a disk
> containing Windows 7 to another system with different
> hardware. I'm hoping that Windows 7 has
> enough intelligence to detect the new hardware
> and to be able to run well enough to then
> allow you to install any missing drivers.
>
> Cordially,

Re: [Micronet] Moving a Windows 7 to Different Hardware?

Gary Lum
I'll  second going with a wim image. We have 2 images, 1 for 32bit Win7
and 1 for 64.  Those 2 images cover every managed windows computer in
our school.

On 4/7/2011 3:41 PM, Gary Lum wrote:
> I'll second going with a wim image. We have 2 images, 1 for 32bit Win7
> and 1 for 64. Those 2 images cover every managed windows computer in our
> school.

Win image looks great but at a quick glance it seems
like it would be used in places with an IT department.
I'm more concerned with ad-hoc PCs with non-technical
owners.

Jon

Re: [Micronet] Moving a Windows 7 to Different Hardware?

gartim
Just an fyi, I tried moving a win7 install on a AMD quad to an Intel Dual
and got the blue screen. With like Architecture Clonezilla worked like a
charm. -- Gary

On 4/18/2011 7:47 AM, Gary Artim wrote:
> Just an fyi, I tried moving a win7 install on a AMD quad to an Intel Dual
> and got the blue screen. With like Architecture Clonezilla worked like a
> charm. -- Gary

This is interesting. I wonder if you would still get
the blue screen if you put the hard disk containing
the cloned system in the Intel box and then booted
from the Win7 install disk and picked the
"Repair" option. In my limited experience this
option is very smart, and was able to fix unbootable
Win7 systems.

Jon

Re: [Micronet] Moving a Windows 7 to Different Hardware?

gartim
I tried the repair option that came up after the crash, not using the
dvd (guess they have some built in repair) and it didnt work. will try,
cheers, -- g.