[Micronet] My posts arent seen

Work

I’d like to know why my posts aren’t visible in micronet. I sent an email yesterday, and still have not seen it posted.

Lawrence Felipe

Systems Administrator IV

FSIT  Room 240

University of California, Berkeley

2000 Carleton St.  Berkeley, CA 94720-1384

Phone: 510-643-9835

Cell: 510-499-1539

[hidden email]

https://calshare.berkeley.edu/sites/fs/supportservices/default.aspx

Re: [Micronet] My posts arent seen

Vivian Sophia

Vivian Sophia
Business/Tech Support Analyst
University of California, Berkeley
Campus Shared Services
310J Durant Hall

On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 12:59 PM, Lawrence FELIPE <[hidden email]> wrote:

I’d like to know why my posts aren’t visible in micronet. I sent an email yesterday, and still have not seen it posted.

Lawrence Felipe

Systems Administrator IV

FSIT  Room 240

University of California, Berkeley

2000 Carleton St.  Berkeley, CA 94720-1384

Phone: 510-643-9835

Cell: 510-499-1539

[hidden email]

https://calshare.berkeley.edu/sites/fs/supportservices/default.aspx

Re: [Micronet] My posts arent seen

Christopher Brooks
Yep, Google is probably violating an RFC somewhere by failing to deliver messages.

I find this very irritating.  The best workaround is to subscribe two addresses to each list, one of which is used to check that the email went out.

Dedup is part of Google's operation, and very convenient for them, but not convenient for me, the customer.

I suggest that we go with a vendor such as Sonic.net that has better privacy practices and excellent customer service.

See also http://www.terraswarm.org/terraswarm/faq/70.html

Email to mailing lists is not received by the sender
Christopher Brooks, 10 Dec 2013
Last updated: 10 Dec 2013

Sadly, if you send email to a mailing list and read your email at an address hosted by Google, then you will not receive a copy of your own email unless you cc or bcc yourself.

This is called de-duping and while it is in the best interests of Google, it is not in our best interests because it means that when email is sent the a mailing list, then the sender has no easy way of knowing if the email went out because the cc or bcc does not use the mailing list system, it goes via a separate route.

One possible workaround is to add a second email address to the mailing list. To do this, email Christopher.

See Mailing List Problems With Addresses Hosted By Google.

_Christopher

On 3/4/14 1:03 PM, Vivian Sophia wrote:

Vivian Sophia
Business/Tech Support Analyst
University of California, Berkeley
Campus Shared Services
310J Durant Hall

On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 12:59 PM, Lawrence FELIPE <[hidden email]> wrote:

I’d like to know why my posts aren’t visible in micronet. I sent an email yesterday, and still have not seen it posted.

Lawrence Felipe

Systems Administrator IV

FSIT  Room 240

University of California, Berkeley

2000 Carleton St.  Berkeley, CA 94720-1384

Phone: 510-643-9835

Cell: 510-499-1539

[hidden email]

https://calshare.berkeley.edu/sites/fs/supportservices/default.aspx

Academic Program Manager & Software Engineer  US Mail: 337 Cory Hall
CHESS/iCyPhy/Ptolemy/TerraSwarm               Berkeley, CA 94720-1774
[hidden email], 707.332.0670           (Office: 545Q Cory)

Re: [Micronet] My posts arent seen

Hi Lawrence:

Your posts are coming through.  See http://micronet-at-uc-berkeley.840177.n3.nabble.com/Micronet-barcode-printer-issues-td4027968.html for the one you sent yesterday.

The difference you're probably noticing is that Google (both our implementation of it, as bMail, as well as every other GMail-based system around the world) de-duplicates things so that you don't get back copies of your own posts to mailing lists.  The theory goes that since you've already got a copy in your sent box, you don't need another copy in your inbox.  Whether or not you agree with that design decision is certainly debatable--and has been debated rather to death here on Micronet--but that's the way Google Mail works.  It's not configurable via a user or an admin setting--it's inherent to the system.

Hope that helps.

Ian

On Mar 4, 2014, at 12:59 PM, Lawrence FELIPE <[hidden email]> wrote:

I’d like to know why my posts aren’t visible in micronet. I sent an email yesterday, and still have not seen it posted.

Lawrence Felipe
Systems Administrator IV
FSIT  Room 240
University of California, Berkeley
2000 Carleton St.  Berkeley, CA 94720-1384
Phone: 510-643-9835
Cell: 510-499-1539

___

IST-Architecture, Platforms and Integration (API)
Earl Warren Hall, Second Floor