[Micronet] New Apple MacBook Pro - Complaint department

[Micronet] New Apple MacBook Pro - Complaint department

Yau-Man Chan-2
Ok.. did I miss a memo somewhere?  Just got delivery of the new 15"
MacBook Pro - and guess what - they changed the mag-safe power connector
- it's narrower and longer so the old one won't fit AND they left out
the Kensington locking slot!!!  You mean people don't steal MacBooks
anymore?  Urghhhhhhh.....

--
Yau-Man Chan
College of Chemistry

Office: 510-643-1034
FAX: 510-643-6178
chemistry.berkeley.edu

Re: [Micronet] New Apple MacBook Pro - Complaint department

Jonathan Felder-2
http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/why_the_macbook_pro_retina_doesnt_have_a_security_slot

On 4/29/13 11:48 AM, Yau-Man Chan wrote:
> Ok.. did I miss a memo somewhere?  Just got delivery of the new 15"
> MacBook Pro - and guess what - they changed the mag-safe power connector
> - it's narrower and longer so the old one won't fit AND they left out
> the Kensington locking slot!!!  You mean people don't steal MacBooks
> anymore?  Urghhhhhhh.....

Re: [Micronet] New Apple MacBook Pro - Complaint department

jon kuroda-2
http://www.maclocks.com/index.php/mac-locks-macbook-pro-lock-macbook-air-lock-macbook-pro-retina-lock/macbookprolock.html

Or wait for http://macbracket.com/ to come out with a Retina version

Sucks about magsafe2 - the adapters are $10 each and they add up quick
given how easily people around these parts seem to lose them.

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 11:48:50AM -0700, Yau-Man Chan wrote:
> Ok.. did I miss a memo somewhere?  Just got delivery of the new 15"
> MacBook Pro - and guess what - they changed the mag-safe power connector
> - it's narrower and longer so the old one won't fit AND they left out
> the Kensington locking slot!!!  You mean people don't steal MacBooks
> anymore?  Urghhhhhhh.....

Re: [Micronet] New Apple MacBook Pro - Complaint department

Guy D. VINSON
You got to pay the apple tax...

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 11:48 AM, Yau-Man Chan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ok.. did I miss a memo somewhere?  Just got delivery of the new 15"
MacBook Pro - and guess what - they changed the mag-safe power connector
- it's narrower and longer so the old one won't fit AND they left out
the Kensington locking slot!!!  You mean people don't steal MacBooks
anymore?  Urghhhhhhh.....

--
Yau-Man Chan
College of Chemistry
University of California
Berkeley, CA 94720-1460

Office: 510-643-1034
FAX: 510-643-6178
chemistry.berkeley.edu

Guy Vinson
Infrastructure & IT
College of Environmental Design
University of California at Berkeley

Re: [Micronet] New Apple MacBook Pro - Complaint department

tedcrum
Can't you just imagine the designer whining "I can't POSSIBLY design
a laptop around that huge connector; give me smaller connector or
find yourself a new genius." Probably the same person who demanded
the super-non-standard micro Display Port connector on the first Air,
thus introducing Apple's shameful 5th laptop video connector, when
PC's needed only one.

Apple needs to fire that designer (and make the iPhone wider) right now.

-tc

At 11:48 AM 4/29/2013, Yau-Man Chan wrote:

>Ok.. did I miss a memo somewhere?  Just got delivery of the new 15"
>MacBook Pro - and guess what - they changed the mag-safe power connector
>- it's narrower and longer so the old one won't fit AND they left out
>the Kensington locking slot!!!  You mean people don't steal MacBooks
>anymore?  Urghhhhhhh.....
>
>--
>Yau-Man Chan
>College of Chemistry
>University of California
>Berkeley, CA 94720-1460
>
>Office: 510-643-1034
>FAX: 510-643-6178
>chemistry.berkeley.edu
>[hidden email]

>meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>
>http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
>Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
>world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched
>on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among
>others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have
>known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] New Apple MacBook Pro - Complaint department

Guy D. VINSON
Of course with all this whining about Apple products the truth is people buy them, if they didn't buy them Apple would do things differently. Why in gods name would there be a good reason to design something with a battery that can't be replaced... because it is cheaper to built it that way and people still suck it up and put their money down.

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 12:27 PM, Ted Crum <[hidden email]> wrote:
Can't you just imagine the designer whining "I can't POSSIBLY design
a laptop around that huge connector; give me smaller connector or
find yourself a new genius." Probably the same person who demanded
the super-non-standard micro Display Port connector on the first Air,
thus introducing Apple's shameful 5th laptop video connector, when
PC's needed only one.

Apple needs to fire that designer (and make the iPhone wider) right now.

-tc

At 11:48 AM 4/29/2013, Yau-Man Chan wrote:
>Ok.. did I miss a memo somewhere?  Just got delivery of the new 15"
>MacBook Pro - and guess what - they changed the mag-safe power connector
>- it's narrower and longer so the old one won't fit AND they left out
>the Kensington locking slot!!!  You mean people don't steal MacBooks
>anymore?  Urghhhhhhh.....
>
>--
>Yau-Man Chan
>College of Chemistry
>University of California
>Berkeley, CA 94720-1460
>
>Office: 510-643-1034
>FAX: 510-643-6178
>chemistry.berkeley.edu
>[hidden email]

>meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>
>http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
>Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
>world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched
>on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among
>others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have
>known you in the past.

Guy Vinson
Infrastructure & IT
College of Environmental Design
University of California at Berkeley

Re: [Micronet] New Apple MacBook Pro - Complaint department

Duane P. Straub
I was initially skeptical of the non-removable battery idea, but it didn't take too long to warm up to a laptop with 3 times(!) the battery life of my removable battery laptop. Same with iPhone - my iPhone 5 has 3 times(!!) the battery life of my Galaxy S III.

Duane

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 12:57 PM, Guy D. VINSON <[hidden email]> wrote:
Of course with all this whining about Apple products the truth is people buy them, if they didn't buy them Apple would do things differently. Why in gods name would there be a good reason to design something with a battery that can't be replaced... because it is cheaper to built it that way and people still suck it up and put their money down.

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 12:27 PM, Ted Crum <[hidden email]> wrote:
Can't you just imagine the designer whining "I can't POSSIBLY design
a laptop around that huge connector; give me smaller connector or
find yourself a new genius." Probably the same person who demanded
the super-non-standard micro Display Port connector on the first Air,
thus introducing Apple's shameful 5th laptop video connector, when
PC's needed only one.

Apple needs to fire that designer (and make the iPhone wider) right now.

-tc

At 11:48 AM 4/29/2013, Yau-Man Chan wrote:
>Ok.. did I miss a memo somewhere?  Just got delivery of the new 15"
>MacBook Pro - and guess what - they changed the mag-safe power connector
>- it's narrower and longer so the old one won't fit AND they left out
>the Kensington locking slot!!!  You mean people don't steal MacBooks
>anymore?  Urghhhhhhh.....
>
>--
>Yau-Man Chan
>College of Chemistry
>University of California
>Berkeley, CA 94720-1460
>
>Office: 510-643-1034
>FAX: 510-643-6178
>chemistry.berkeley.edu
>[hidden email]

>meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>
>http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
>Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
>world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched
>on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among
>others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have
>known you in the past.

Guy Vinson
Infrastructure & IT
College of Environmental Design
University of California at Berkeley

Campus Shared Services IT
To submit a request, please go to
or call 664-9000, option 1, option 4, then option 2

Re: [Micronet] New Apple MacBook Pro - Complaint department

Guy D. VINSON
Until your battery goes bad, and it will, and you have to toss the laptop or phone, then the long life of the battery will not seem so great. Besides the life of pre-glued in cells was not much less than current but is much easier to build. But hell China has lots of land fill. Don't get me wrong I'm a apple product user, but I'm not happy about the direction Apple has gone in product design in terms of being able to fix their products and keep them out of the land fill.

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 1:24 PM, Duane P. Straub <[hidden email]> wrote:
I was initially skeptical of the non-removable battery idea, but it didn't take too long to warm up to a laptop with 3 times(!) the battery life of my removable battery laptop. Same with iPhone - my iPhone 5 has 3 times(!!) the battery life of my Galaxy S III.

Duane

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 12:57 PM, Guy D. VINSON <[hidden email]> wrote:
Of course with all this whining about Apple products the truth is people buy them, if they didn't buy them Apple would do things differently. Why in gods name would there be a good reason to design something with a battery that can't be replaced... because it is cheaper to built it that way and people still suck it up and put their money down.

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 12:27 PM, Ted Crum <[hidden email]> wrote:
Can't you just imagine the designer whining "I can't POSSIBLY design
a laptop around that huge connector; give me smaller connector or
find yourself a new genius." Probably the same person who demanded
the super-non-standard micro Display Port connector on the first Air,
thus introducing Apple's shameful 5th laptop video connector, when
PC's needed only one.

Apple needs to fire that designer (and make the iPhone wider) right now.

-tc

At 11:48 AM 4/29/2013, Yau-Man Chan wrote:
>Ok.. did I miss a memo somewhere?  Just got delivery of the new 15"
>MacBook Pro - and guess what - they changed the mag-safe power connector
>- it's narrower and longer so the old one won't fit AND they left out
>the Kensington locking slot!!!  You mean people don't steal MacBooks
>anymore?  Urghhhhhhh.....
>
>--
>Yau-Man Chan
>College of Chemistry
>University of California
>Berkeley, CA 94720-1460
>
>Office: 510-643-1034
>FAX: 510-643-6178
>chemistry.berkeley.edu
>[hidden email]

>meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>
>http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
>Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
>world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched
>on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among
>others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have
>known you in the past.

Guy Vinson
Infrastructure & IT
College of Environmental Design
University of California at Berkeley

Campus Shared Services IT
To submit a request, please go to
or call 664-9000, option 1, option 4, then option 2

--

Guy Vinson
Infrastructure & IT
College of Environmental Design
University of California at Berkeley

Re: [Micronet] New Apple MacBook Pro - Complaint department

Yau-Man Chan-2
Thank you all very much to everyone for your input on these latest Apple
silliness!  I guess I did miss the memo about the changes - I was so
taken by surprise by these new "features" - thanks for letting me vent
my frustration with my own negligence for making undue assumptions when
I order my new MacBook - I was just concentrating on the memory, SSD
size and super-charged CPU and GPU speed that I didn't even think to
look at these other features (or in this case non-features!)  I guess I
have to buy another charger for home. The missing Kensington cable slot
is going to be a real problem - my office is too close to the main
entrance.  Locking the laptop in my desk drawer every time I leave the
office is going to be a non-starter.  Guess I'll shell out $70 for that
special locking cable!!!!

Btw, just a note about the Matrox DS1 - Thunderbolt hub: genuine Apple
thunderbolt connectors run less hot.  But there's a problem with the
Ethernet port in that hub - it works great but if I just unplug the
thunderbolt cable and then plug it back ('cos I was adding a backup
thunderbolt drive) the network does not reconnect. The video does, all
the USB devices does but the thunderbolt-ethernet will not re-establish
connection.  Tried everything on the network preference panel but no
go.  Only way to have it reconnect is to restart the system.  Don't know
if it's a feature or a bug but I'm in communications with the Matrox
tech support.  Will let you in on whatever I find out.

Thanks.

Yau-Man Chan
College of Chemistry
University of California