[Micronet] New Dell Standard Computers

Jon Johnsen
The new standard Dell Optiplex 990 comes with Windows 7 32 bit Home
Premium and a Resource DVD for Vista.

And yet, "computers arrive on campus pre-installed with specific
settings, including pre-installed software" . . .  "to save the IT
support staff significant computer setup time." Except that since we
have to install Windows 7 Professional, each computer we get will have
to have Windows 7 Professional installed, hoping that finding the
correct drivers won't be a problem, and that campus will soon have a
very large stack of useless Vista driver DVDs. And that "pre-installed
software" will be gone.

Or am I missing something here?

--
Jon Johnsen
Information Systems Office

Re: [Micronet] New Dell Standard Computers

Greg Paschall-2
How about the fact that there's no keyboard, mouse or monitor included
in these as well?

Greg

Jon Johnsen wrote, on 3/1/12 8:21 AM:

> The new standard Dell Optiplex 990 comes with Windows 7 32 bit Home
> Premium and a Resource DVD for Vista.
>
> And yet, "computers arrive on campus pre-installed with specific
> settings, including pre-installed software" . . .  "to save the IT
> support staff significant computer setup time." Except that since we
> have to install Windows 7 Professional, each computer we get will have
> to have Windows 7 Professional installed, hoping that finding the
> correct drivers won't be a problem, and that campus will soon have a
> very large stack of useless Vista driver DVDs. And that "pre-installed
> software" will be gone.
>
> Or am I missing something here?

--

Greg Paschall -- [hidden email]
Deputy IT Officer

Re: [Micronet] New Dell Standard Computers

Graham Patterson

You mean you don't find keyboards, mice and monitors last far longer
than the computer itself? 8-)

I think the plan must be for shared service IT support to bootstrap
image deployment at the desk. Which will be fun to the remaining 10Mbit
networks.

Graham

On 3/1/12 8:33 AM, Greg Paschall wrote:

> How about the fact that there's no keyboard, mouse or monitor included
> in these as well?
>
> Greg
>
> Jon Johnsen wrote, on 3/1/12 8:21 AM:
>> The new standard Dell Optiplex 990 comes with Windows 7 32 bit Home
>> Premium and a Resource DVD for Vista.
>>
>> And yet, "computers arrive on campus pre-installed with specific
>> settings, including pre-installed software" . . .  "to save the IT
>> support staff significant computer setup time." Except that since we
>> have to install Windows 7 Professional, each computer we get will have
>> to have Windows 7 Professional installed, hoping that finding the
>> correct drivers won't be a problem, and that campus will soon have a
>> very large stack of useless Vista driver DVDs. And that "pre-installed
>> software" will be gone.
>>
>> Or am I missing something here?

Re: [Micronet] New Dell Standard Computers

Seth Novogrodsky
On 3/1/2012 8:33 AM, Greg Paschall wrote:
> How about the fact that there's no keyboard, mouse or monitor included
> in these as well?
>
> Greg

It is possible to add a keyboard or monitor if you log in to the Dell
Premier site and click on "Customize."  However, that is the only
customization available.  In the past, it was possible to make some
changes to the Dell Super Saver configurations such as upgrading the
operating system.

My feeling is that by not allowing any customization of the hardware or
OS, it is actually going to cost the campus more in the long run.  For
example, if a user needs more than a 250 GB drive, we will either have
to replace the drive or get an external drive.  As has been mentioned,
Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit is not suitable for campus use, and this
will create a lot of work for groups that are not maintaining a standard
image.

Also, only two Dell laptops are included.  For some users, a 12.5-inch
screen is too small for an ultra portable, but the 13.3 inch model would
be fine.  There's not a large difference in weight; the Dell Latitude
E6320 (13.3) weighs 3.64 lbs. versus 3.15 lbs for the E6220 (12.5).  In
addition, the Dell Latitude E5520 (15.6-inch) would be a better choice
for some users than the Dell Latitude E6420 (14-inch).  Yes, most users
can get by with the smaller screen but if you are running Excel or
Photoshop, there may be a loss of productivity for some users that will
have a real cost.  All four Latitudes can use the same image, and I
don't see a difference in support costs if all four were offered.

I really hope that this new initiative can be modified to better meet
the needs of the campus.  I think input from groups such as Micronet and
CUTAT should be sought before such decisions are made.  Also, it would
have been nice if IT staff had been given the details of this program
prior to it being announced to the entire campus.

Seth

--
Seth Novogrodsky, Letters&  Science Computing Resources
http://lscr.berkeley.edu

Re: [Micronet] New Dell Standard Computers

Aaron DuBois
So do i get this right?

UCB will now pay for windows 2x on every system?
1x for the version that ships with +
1x for the version we then install

Was that a master OE plan to save money...by spending it on something
you won't use and then spend some more on what you do need?

Seems it would be better to have systems with no OS shipped instead and
save the $ on an OS license we never use.
Baring the outlandish idea of course that they just shipped with what we
use anyway.

--
Aaron DuBois
Sociology Tech

Re: [Micronet] New Dell Standard Computers

Seth Novogrodsky
My understanding is that the Microsoft Campuswide Software License (see
<http://technology.berkeley.edu/productivity-suite/microsoft/index.html>
includes Windows 7 but only upgrades.  The assumption is that machines
already have an OEM Windows license.  (This does not apply to Macs, I
believe.)

Seth

--
Seth Novogrodsky, Letters&  Science Computing Resources
http://lscr.berkeley.edu

Re: [Micronet] New Dell Standard Computers

Rune Stromsness
On 01-Mar-12 10:12, Aaron DuBois wrote:

> So do i get this right?
>
> UCB will now pay for windows 2x on every system?
> 1x for the version that ships with +
> 1x for the version we then install
>
> Was that a master OE plan to save money...by spending it on something
> you won't use and then spend some more on what you do need?
>
> Seems it would be better to have systems with no OS shipped instead and
> save the $ on an OS license we never use.
> Baring the outlandish idea of course that they just shipped with what we
> use anyway.
The MCCA agreement that campus has signed covering all faculty, staff,
and students doesn't cover an initial OS license, only an upgrade from
some version of Windows (or Mac OS) to a covered version of Windows
(like Windows 7 Enterprise).  From the Microsoft website:

] LICENSING WINDOWS UPGRADES THROUGH EES
] When you license a desktop operating system through this Microsoft
Volume Licensing offering, it is important to understand that only the
UPGRADE license for Windows is available—FULL operating system licenses
are not offered. Prior to licensing a Windows upgrade through your EES
desktop platform, you need to have a full underlying license for a
qualifying operating system for each PC. (Qualifying operating systems
are listed in the Microsoft Volume Licensing Product List, which you can
find at
www.microsoft.com/licensing/about-licensing/product-licensing.aspx.)
] You can get the necessary full Windows operating system license in the
following two ways:
] • For newly manufactured PCs, the best way to acquire that license is
to have the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) preinstall Windows on
the PC.
] • If the OEM has not preinstalled Windows on the PC, then you can
purchase a full Windows license through retail full-packaged product (FPP).
] If you discover that you have existing PCs that lack the necessary
full license for a qualifying operating system, talk to your Microsoft
reseller about the Get Genuine Windows Agreement for Academic (GGWA-A).
GGWA-A provides a simple, cost-effective way for you to acquire full
licenses for Windows 7 Home Premium. These licenses fulfill your
requirement for a full qualifying operating system. Once you have
acquired the full operating system license, you are then eligible to
license those PCs for Windows 7 Enterprise upgrade through EES. Learn
more at www.microsoft.com/piracy/knowthefacts/LegalizationSolutions.aspx.

So when purchasing a new system from a manufacturer like Dell the normal
best practice is to purchase the cheapest version of Windows available
(which is currently Windows 7 Home Premium in the USA).

Rune