[Micronet] New Dells come preinstalled with IE9

[Micronet] New Dells come preinstalled with IE9

Bruce Satow
Dear folks,

I just got off the phone and simultaneously using GoToAssist with Dell
regarding IE9 removal on a new Dell PC running Windows 7.    This
removal was done for BAIRS and BFS compatibility.

Normally when you uninstall IE9 and reboot, Windows should come up with
IE8 as a check box-able option under control panel - program and
features -Turn Windows features on or off.   However after I did the IE9
uninstall, the IE8 option did not appear even after multiple rebooting.

I was online with a Dell technician for over 2 hours to resolve this
issue, and finally we got IE8 to appear as a Windows feature option.  I
installed the IE9 blocker kit to prevent IE9 from being installed as
well as turning off the Firefox 3.5.9 auto updates. (Options, Advanced,
Update tab)

I do not know if this removal of the pre-installed IE9 issue is unique
or frequent, but I just wanted to put out a heads up to folks on Micronet.

-Bruce

Re: [Micronet] New Dells come preinstalled with IE9

Greg Merritt
Doesn't the Firefox compatibility with campus systems top off at pre-3.6, or does compatibility top out at 3.5.9?

Any concerns with "oldapps.com" as a source for downloads, like FF 3.5.19 [sic -- nineteen] here?

http://www.oldapps.com/firefox.php?old_firefox=116

-Greg

On Nov 7, 2011, at 12:36 PM, Bruce Satow wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Aron!

-Greg