[Micronet] New Production Control Shared Service Center group formation

[Micronet] New Production Control Shared Service Center group formation

Walt Hagmaier

Subj: Consolidation of Three UC Production Control Units

UC Berkeley, UCOP, and UCSF are consolidating their individual Production Control functions into one team, called the Production Control Shared Service Center (PCSSC), which will serve all three locations. The consolidation is expected to achieve operational efficiencies through

•          the ability to more readily provide 24x7x365 support,

•          the use of a common tools and processes, and

•          access to a broader and deeper skill set.

Job Opportunities

The new PCSSC team is expected to be fully formed in July 2011 and will be located at UC Berkeley. Recruitment for the manager position is currently underway and the position is expected to be filled by May 2011. To apply, go to the UC Berkeley employment website, http://jobs.berkeley.edu/ , and search for Production Control Manager or job ID #11943. Once hired, the manager immediately will be responsible for designing the new group’s structure and composition. PCSSC staff positions will be posted on the Berkeley employment website in the April-June time frame. Qualified applicants from the existing units are encouraged to apply, and we fully expect the new team will include staff from all three locations.

Timeline

Once the team is formed, there will be a transition period before the existing units are closed and the PCSSC assumes full operation. The PCSSC is expected to begin managing mainframe application processes in fall 2011 when UC Berkeley’s workload is migrated to UCOP, followed by conversion of UCOP/UCSF jobs into UCB’s job scheduler. In 2012, we will support distributed jobs from the PCSSC by initially running what exists today at all three sites. By the end of 2012, all jobs will be converted into UCB’s job scheduler product.

We recognize that organizational restructuring is disruptive to the individuals involved. However, this step is essential given UC’s urgent need to make the best, most efficient use of its limited resources. The consolidation offers existing qualified staff an opportunity to grow professionally in a forward-looking unit that provides improved services to the three partner locations. If you have any questions, please contact Walt Hagmaier ([hidden email] ) for more information.

For information about production control at UC Berkeley, see IST’s Production Control website, http://ist.berkeley.edu/is/platforms/pctl .

Walt Hagmaier

Manager of Infrastructure @ IST (Mainframe, Unix, Windows, Storage, Backup, Data Center and Production Control) UC Berkeley

[hidden email]   (510) 643-8609

Re: [Micronet] New Production Control Shared Service Center group formation

Michael Sinatra

On Fri, 1 Apr 2011, walt hagmaier wrote:

> UC Berkeley, UCOP, and UCSF are consolidating their individual Production Control functions into one team, called the Production Control
> Shared Service Center (PCSSC),

How does one pronounce the acronym of this new unit?

Re: [Micronet] New Production Control Shared Service Center group formation

Bill Clark
>> Shared Service Center (PCSSC),

> How does one pronounce the acronym of this new unit?

Just like it's spelled.

-Bill Clark

Re: [Micronet] New Production Control Shared Service Center group formation

I think it's a secret...except during Happy Hour.

At least it is a Center not a Department 8-)

Graham

On 4/1/11 4:34 PM, Michael Sinatra wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Apr 2011, walt hagmaier wrote:
>
>> UC Berkeley, UCOP, and UCSF are consolidating their individual Production Control functions into one team, called the Production Control
>> Shared Service Center (PCSSC),
>
> How does one pronounce the acronym of this new unit?

"...past the Tyranosaurus, the Mastodon, the mathematical puzzles, and
the meteorite..." - directions to my office.

Re: [Micronet] New Production Control Shared Service Center group formation

Erik Klavon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyQvjKqXA0Y