[Micronet] New UCBackup encryption policy

[Micronet] New UCBackup encryption policy

John Torres-O'Callaghan
To increase security of our customers' data and ensure compliance with
evolving campus security policies, UCBackup is going to begin implementing
automatic encryption of backups.

1. Effective immediately, all new UCBackup nodes will be set up to use
    encryption.
2. Beginning the week of 5/21, we will be enabling encryption for our
    existing customers.  We expect to be done with this process within
    a few weeks.  User and technical contacts will receive notification
    when their node is updated.
3. We will begin forcing new full backups to ensure there is a complete,
    encrypted backup.  Customers will not be charged for the additional
    usage associated with these full backups.  We expect this process to
    take several months to complete because we do not want to overwhelm
    the network with too many full backups on any given night.  User and
    technical contacts will receive notification when their node is
    set up for new full backups.

What do existing UCBackup customers need to do?

* If you are running TSM 5.4 or earlier, you must upgrade your client
   software.  Notifications were recently sent to user and technical contacts
   for nodes with out-of-date software, and UCBackup weekly reports list
   software versions.  TSM 5.4 and earlier are not supported by our current
   server version and are not compatible with the encryption features we are
   using.  TSM client software can be downloaded from
   http://ist.berkeley.edu/ucbackup/software
* If you currently encrypt backups with client-supplied keys ("encryptkey
   save" or "encryptkey prompt" options), and you want to continue using
   your own keys, please contact us at [hidden email].
* We will force new full backups by renaming your existing backup data
   sets.  Once this happens, you will need to restore older backups from
   an alternate location.  Details are available on our website and will
   be included in the notification e-mail.

For additional details, please see
http://ist.berkeley.edu/ucbackup/faq/encryption

We will be holding an information session about UCBackup encryption from
1:30 to 2:30 on Tuesday, May 15th, in 150 University Hall.

--
John Torres-O'Callaghan
IS&T Storage and Backup Administrator

Re: [Micronet] New UCBackup encryption policy

Jonathan Felder-2
There is usually an additional storage overhead associated with
encryption.  Will departments have to pay for that additional storage
overhead?  If so, on average, how much larger is an encrypted backup
over a non encrypted one?

--
Jon

On 5/9/12 1:29 PM, John Torres-O'Callaghan wrote:

> To increase security of our customers' data and ensure compliance with
> evolving campus security policies, UCBackup is going to begin implementing
> automatic encryption of backups.
>
> 1. Effective immediately, all new UCBackup nodes will be set up to use
>      encryption.
> 2. Beginning the week of 5/21, we will be enabling encryption for our
>      existing customers.  We expect to be done with this process within
>      a few weeks.  User and technical contacts will receive notification
>      when their node is updated.
> 3. We will begin forcing new full backups to ensure there is a complete,
>      encrypted backup.  Customers will not be charged for the additional
>      usage associated with these full backups.  We expect this process to
>      take several months to complete because we do not want to overwhelm
>      the network with too many full backups on any given night.  User and
>      technical contacts will receive notification when their node is
>      set up for new full backups.
>
> What do existing UCBackup customers need to do?
>
> * If you are running TSM 5.4 or earlier, you must upgrade your client
>     software.  Notifications were recently sent to user and technical contacts
>     for nodes with out-of-date software, and UCBackup weekly reports list
>     software versions.  TSM 5.4 and earlier are not supported by our current
>     server version and are not compatible with the encryption features we are
>     using.  TSM client software can be downloaded from
>     http://ist.berkeley.edu/ucbackup/software
> * If you currently encrypt backups with client-supplied keys ("encryptkey
>     save" or "encryptkey prompt" options), and you want to continue using
>     your own keys, please contact us at [hidden email].
> * We will force new full backups by renaming your existing backup data
>     sets.  Once this happens, you will need to restore older backups from
>     an alternate location.  Details are available on our website and will
>     be included in the notification e-mail.
>
> For additional details, please see
> http://ist.berkeley.edu/ucbackup/faq/encryption
>
> We will be holding an information session about UCBackup encryption from
> 1:30 to 2:30 on Tuesday, May 15th, in 150 University Hall.

Re: [Micronet] New UCBackup encryption policy

Rune Stromsness
On 10-May-12 10:43, Jonathan Felder wrote:
> There is usually an additional storage overhead associated with
> encryption.  Will departments have to pay for that additional storage
> overhead?  If so, on average, how much larger is an encrypted backup
> over a non encrypted one?

My experience in 2005 moving a set of departmental servers and
workstations from using Tivoli Storage Manager with plain backups to
encrypted/compressed was that my backups completed faster AND my disk
use on the TSM server went down by 20-30%.

Those results will obviously vary based on the data that you are backing up.

We were incredibly happy with the change -- it turned out that the
limiting factor was actually sending the backups over the network to the
backup server and getting onto disk there, so using a small amount of
additional CPU on our systems to compress and encrypt the data just made
things faster and cheaper for us.

We did end up adding this line to the dsm.opt file:
  COMPRESSAlways        No
(Note -- not the dsm.sys file where most configuration goes, but the
dsm.opt file where very little configuration lives.)  This makes the
Tivoli client give up on the compression (but not the encryption) if the
file size ends up being larger than it would have been otherwise (often
the case for already-compressed files).

Rune

> --
> Jon
>
> On 5/9/12 1:29 PM, John Torres-O'Callaghan wrote:
>> To increase security of our customers' data and ensure compliance with
>> evolving campus security policies, UCBackup is going to begin implementing
>> automatic encryption of backups.
>>
>> 1. Effective immediately, all new UCBackup nodes will be set up to use
>>      encryption.
>> 2. Beginning the week of 5/21, we will be enabling encryption for our
>>      existing customers.  We expect to be done with this process within
>>      a few weeks.  User and technical contacts will receive notification
>>      when their node is updated.
>> 3. We will begin forcing new full backups to ensure there is a complete,
>>      encrypted backup.  Customers will not be charged for the additional
>>      usage associated with these full backups.  We expect this process to
>>      take several months to complete because we do not want to overwhelm
>>      the network with too many full backups on any given night.  User and
>>      technical contacts will receive notification when their node is
>>      set up for new full backups.
>>
>> What do existing UCBackup customers need to do?
>>
>> * If you are running TSM 5.4 or earlier, you must upgrade your client
>>     software.  Notifications were recently sent to user and technical contacts
>>     for nodes with out-of-date software, and UCBackup weekly reports list
>>     software versions.  TSM 5.4 and earlier are not supported by our current
>>     server version and are not compatible with the encryption features we are
>>     using.  TSM client software can be downloaded from
>>     http://ist.berkeley.edu/ucbackup/software
>> * If you currently encrypt backups with client-supplied keys ("encryptkey
>>     save" or "encryptkey prompt" options), and you want to continue using
>>     your own keys, please contact us at [hidden email].
>> * We will force new full backups by renaming your existing backup data
>>     sets.  Once this happens, you will need to restore older backups from
>>     an alternate location.  Details are available on our website and will
>>     be included in the notification e-mail.
>>
>> For additional details, please see
>> http://ist.berkeley.edu/ucbackup/faq/encryption
>>
>> We will be holding an information session about UCBackup encryption from
>> 1:30 to 2:30 on Tuesday, May 15th, in 150 University Hall.

Re: [Micronet] New UCBackup encryption policy

Jonathan Felder-2
So you're saying the backups are not automatically compressed?

Isn't this be something, like encryption, that should be enabled by default?

Did you do any tests with encryption without compression to get an idea
of what the overhead is?

--
Jon

On 10-May-12 11:28, Jonathan Felder wrote:
> So you're saying the backups are not automatically compressed?

Correct, that has been my experience in the past with UCBackup.

> Isn't this be something, like encryption, that should be enabled by default?

I would think so.  When I got into my current job, for example, we
turned on compression for one of our big servers.  We forced a new full
backup, and two months later our bill for that server went down from
1,661 GB to 518 GB.  And the backups completed faster each night...

> Did you do any tests with encryption without compression to get an idea
> of what the overhead is?

I have not tested that scenario.

Rune

> --
> Jon
>
> On 5/10/12 11:15 AM, Rune Stromsness wrote:
>> On 10-May-12 10:43, Jonathan Felder wrote:
>>> There is usually an additional storage overhead associated with
>>> encryption.  Will departments have to pay for that additional storage
>>> overhead?  If so, on average, how much larger is an encrypted backup
>>> over a non encrypted one?
>>
>> My experience in 2005 moving a set of departmental servers and
>> workstations from using Tivoli Storage Manager with plain backups to
>> encrypted/compressed was that my backups completed faster AND my disk
>> use on the TSM server went down by 20-30%.
>>
>> Those results will obviously vary based on the data that you are backing up.
>>
>> We were incredibly happy with the change -- it turned out that the
>> limiting factor was actually sending the backups over the network to the
>> backup server and getting onto disk there, so using a small amount of
>> additional CPU on our systems to compress and encrypt the data just made
>> things faster and cheaper for us.
>>
>> We did end up adding this line to the dsm.opt file:
>>    COMPRESSAlways        No
>> (Note -- not the dsm.sys file where most configuration goes, but the
>> dsm.opt file where very little configuration lives.)  This makes the
>> Tivoli client give up on the compression (but not the encryption) if the
>> file size ends up being larger than it would have been otherwise (often
>> the case for already-compressed files).
>>

>> Rune
>>
>>> --
>>> Jon

>>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>>
>>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] New UCBackup encryption policy

John Torres-O'Callaghan
Jon,

To answer your original question: Yes, encryption causes a slight increase in
file size, and this will be reflected in your monthly bill. However, in our
testing, the largest we have seen is a 1% increase, which is less than the
month-to-month changes for many of our customers.  We don't expect to see any
significant changes due to encryption, but if you think you have seen a major
increase, please contact us at [hidden email] and we can investigate.

As Rune suggested, compressing your backups will generally shrink the size more
than encryption makes them grow.  Compression is not enabled by default in TSM,
but can be enabled with the "compression yes" option in dsm.opt (Windows) or
dsm.sys (Unix/Linux), or via the GUI under Edit -> Preferences -> Backup (the
GUI may vary slightly with different versions of the TSM client).

We did consider forcing compression on at the same time we started forced
encryption, but found that there are a number of special considerations that
make it difficult to set up a policy that's guaranteed to work for all of our
customers.
  * The default in TSM is to compress everything, even if this causes the data
to grow (which is likely with already-compressed data).
  * As Rune suggested, the "compressalways" option prevents this. However, what
happens is that TSM tries compressing the file, and when it sees that it has
grown, calls that a failed backup attempt an retries the backup without
compression.  This still spends the system resources trying to compress, and in
some cases (Oracle rman backups using Tivoli Data Protection are a known case)
the fail-then-retry logic does not work and the backup will fail.
  * You can use "exclude.compression" to exclude specific locations or data
types from compression (for example, "exclude.compression *.zip"), but in
researching we've seen a lot of different suggestions for this, and some of the
important ones are platform-specific.