[Micronet] New UCOP agreement with Dell?

[Micronet] New UCOP agreement with Dell?

jon kuroda-2
It seems that UCOP has entered into a new (system-wide?) agreement with Dell.

I found out when I went back to buy some more displays after outfitting a
new office with some shiny and *affordably priced* 27" LCD displays and
found the prices had jumped dramatically in a one month period, resulting
in an email to one of our Dell reps.

The UC Berkeley price for a U2711 27" LCD display w/ 5 years of warranty
jumped from $584 to $935 - that's a 60% increase!

Also, that's higher pricing than the generic EDU pricing of $818.

I wonder what other pricing surprises are in this new agreement.  I have
asked for more details about the new UCOP agreement but have yet to hear
back from Dell.  I haven't found anything on the UCOP site yet either.

Reminds me of a long ago Micronet thread on Dell Pricing, starting at:

    http://lscr.berkeley.edu/archive/mail/micronet/2006/0147.html

--Jon

Re: [Micronet] New UCOP agreement with Dell?

tedcrum
An Ultra Sharp 22" / 3 yr (bought several recently) went from $148 to
$223; +50%.

-tc

At 02:26 PM 10/21/2011, jon kuroda wrote:

>It seems that UCOP has entered into a new (system-wide?) agreement with Dell.
>
>I found out when I went back to buy some more displays after outfitting a
>new office with some shiny and *affordably priced* 27" LCD displays and
>found the prices had jumped dramatically in a one month period, resulting
>in an email to one of our Dell reps.
>
>The UC Berkeley price for a U2711 27" LCD display w/ 5 years of warranty
>jumped from $584 to $935 - that's a 60% increase!
>
>Also, that's higher pricing than the generic EDU pricing of $818.
>
>I wonder what other pricing surprises are in this new agreement.  I have
>asked for more details about the new UCOP agreement but have yet to hear
>back from Dell.  I haven't found anything on the UCOP site yet either.
>
>Reminds me of a long ago Micronet thread on Dell Pricing, starting at:
>
>     http://lscr.berkeley.edu/archive/mail/micronet/2006/0147.html
>
>--Jon

>meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>
>http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
>Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
>world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched
>on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among
>others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have
>known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] New UCOP agreement with Dell?

Gregory German
And while we're at it:

An UltraSharp 24"/5 yr warranty went from $218.19 on 9/23 to $366.40 today - also a 60% increase.

FWIW…

On Oct 21, 2011, at 2:47 PM, Ted Crum wrote:

> An Ultra Sharp 22" / 3 yr (bought several recently) went from $148 to
> $223; +50%.
>
> -tc
>

> At 02:26 PM 10/21/2011, jon kuroda wrote:
>> It seems that UCOP has entered into a new (system-wide?) agreement with Dell.
>>
>> I found out when I went back to buy some more displays after outfitting a
>> new office with some shiny and *affordably priced* 27" LCD displays and
>> found the prices had jumped dramatically in a one month period, resulting
>> in an email to one of our Dell reps.
>>
>> The UC Berkeley price for a U2711 27" LCD display w/ 5 years of warranty
>> jumped from $584 to $935 - that's a 60% increase!
>>
>> Also, that's higher pricing than the generic EDU pricing of $818.
>>
>> I wonder what other pricing surprises are in this new agreement.  I have
>> asked for more details about the new UCOP agreement but have yet to hear
>> back from Dell.  I haven't found anything on the UCOP site yet either.
>>
>> Reminds me of a long ago Micronet thread on Dell Pricing, starting at:
>>
>>    http://lscr.berkeley.edu/archive/mail/micronet/2006/0147.html
>>
>> --Jon

>> meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>>
>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>
>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
>> world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched
>> on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among
>> others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have
>> known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] New UCOP agreement with Dell?

Stacey Templeman
Greg, Ted, Jon,
Thank you for bringing these pricing discrepancies up as soon as you noticed
them.  There is a new Dell Contract in place but these prices do not appear
to be consistent with the contract that UCOP signed with Dell.  You should
not see prices above the Dell standard higher education prices.  Prices
should actually be well below the Higher Education Rates.  I have contacted
Dell's account management team and the UCOP to resolve these issues.  I will
provide this group with an update as soon as possible.

Sincerely,

Stacey Templeman, Strategic Sourcing
Collaborative Procurement Center of Excellence

An UltraSharp 24"/5 yr warranty went from $218.19 on 9/23 to $366.40 today -
also a 60% increase.

FWIW.

On Oct 21, 2011, at 2:47 PM, Ted Crum wrote:

> An Ultra Sharp 22" / 3 yr (bought several recently) went from $148 to
> $223; +50%.
>
> -tc
>

> At 02:26 PM 10/21/2011, jon kuroda wrote:
>> It seems that UCOP has entered into a new (system-wide?) agreement with
Dell.

>> I found out when I went back to buy some more displays after
>> outfitting a new office with some shiny and *affordably priced* 27"
>> LCD displays and found the prices had jumped dramatically in a one
>> month period, resulting in an email to one of our Dell reps.
>>
>> The UC Berkeley price for a U2711 27" LCD display w/ 5 years of
>> warranty jumped from $584 to $935 - that's a 60% increase!
>>
>> Also, that's higher pricing than the generic EDU pricing of $818.
>>
>> I wonder what other pricing surprises are in this new agreement.  I
>> have asked for more details about the new UCOP agreement but have yet
>> to hear back from Dell.  I haven't found anything on the UCOP site yet
either.

>> Reminds me of a long ago Micronet thread on Dell Pricing, starting at:
>>
>>    http://lscr.berkeley.edu/archive/mail/micronet/2006/0147.html
>>
>> --Jon

>> meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>>
>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>
>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable,
>> and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.
>> This means these messages can be viewed by (among
>> others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known
>> you in the past.

visit the Micronet Web site:

the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means
these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective
employers, and people who have known you in the past.

visit the Micronet Web site:

the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means
these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective
employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] New UCOP agreement with Dell?

jon kuroda-2
My big question (well, my biggest question) is:

        Why are we finding out about this after the fact?

--Jon

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 04:17:48PM -0700, Stacey Templeman wrote:

> Greg, Ted, Jon,
> Thank you for bringing these pricing discrepancies up as soon as you noticed
> them.  There is a new Dell Contract in place but these prices do not appear
> to be consistent with the contract that UCOP signed with Dell.  You should
> not see prices above the Dell standard higher education prices.  Prices
> should actually be well below the Higher Education Rates.  I have contacted
> Dell's account management team and the UCOP to resolve these issues.  I will
> provide this group with an update as soon as possible.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Stacey Templeman, Strategic Sourcing
> Collaborative Procurement Center of Excellence
> (510) 643-5709
> [hidden email]

Jon Johnsen-2
Rhetorical question, right?