[Micronet] New Visitor WiFi Service - Address Ranges

12

Re: [Micronet] New Visitor WiFi Service - Address Ranges

Graham Patterson

Is the technical information from the Haas pilot still valid (except
perhaps not calling Haas tech support!)?

Graham

On 10/28/14 3:38 PM, Isaac Orr wrote:

> [...]
> events which was becoming difficult.
>
> iso
>

> On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 3:32 PM, Graham Patterson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> CalVisitor just popped up on our wireless. Needless to say I am fielding
>> questions. 30 seconds warning would have been nice 8-)
>>

>> Graham
>>

>> On 10/13/14 2:22 PM, Isaac Orr wrote:
>>> Hi Folks,
>>>
>>> In the next few weeks, we'll be deploying CalVisitor, a new WiFi service
>>> aimed at visitors to the UC Berkeley campus.  CalVisitor will provide
>>> basic (i.e web browsing) access to the internet without requiring
>>> authentication or the creation of a guest account.  Further details will
>>> be announced soon.
>>>
>>> In the mean time, I wanted to ensure that the campus technical community
>>> was aware of this change, and had a chance to consider the approach they
>>> may want to take in regards to visitors on this wifi service.
>>>
>>> Users of the CalVisitor service should not be considered to be members
>>> of the campus community in the same way that authenticated users of
>>> AirBears and AirBears2 are. We've set aside specific address ranges for
>>> this service.  Operators and administrators of services should decide
>>> whether or not to accept users from these address ranges.
>>>
>>> In other words/TL:DR: the people connecting from the following IP
>>> addresses just walked in off the street.  If you don't trust them, or
>>> run a service that is supposed to be fully accessible to the public, you
>>> should consider blocking them via firewalls or similar means.
>>>
>>> The address ranges are:
>>>
>>> 10.105.125.0/17 <http://10.105.125.0/17> (Campus Routable 1918 - this is
>>> the IPv4 range that users will appear from to other on-campus systems
>>> and services).
>>> 192.31.105.128/25 (This is the NAT range for IPv4 - users of CalVisitor
>>> will appear to be using these addresses to offsite services).
>>> 2607:f140:6000::/48 (IPv6, for both on and off campus).
>>>
>>> The official source for this list is here:
>>>
>>> https://wikihub.berkeley.edu/x/8wUqBg
>>>

>>> iso
>>>
>>> --
>>> Isaac Simon Orr
>>> Manager, Network Operations and Services
>>> IST Telecommunications, UC Berkeley
>>> P: +1 510 643 9837 C: +1 510 517 9408 E: [hidden email]
>>> <mailto:[hidden email]>

>>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>>
>>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.
>>>

>> --
>> Graham Patterson, Systems Administrator
>> Lawrence Hall of Science, UC Berkeley   510-643-2222
>> "...past the iguana, the tyrannosaurus, the mastodon, the mathematical
>> puzzles, and the meteorite..." - directions to my office.

Re: [Micronet] New Visitor WiFi Service - Address Ranges

Joseph Soares
So far no calls about CalVistors to the Service Desk. I'm glad I read Micronet, or else I would have not known it was being rolled out today.

Thanks, Graham!

Joseph Soares

IT Service Desk Supervisor

University of California, Berkeley

Campus Shared Services - IT

1608 4th Street

Berkeley, CA 94710-7600

Office: 510.664.9233, Mobile: 510.388-8779

sharedservices.berkeley.edu

On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 3:38 PM, Isaac Orr <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> "...past the iguana, the tyrannosaurus, the mastodon, the mathematical
> puzzles, and the meteorite..." - directions to my office.

> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

--
Isaac Simon Orr
Manager, Network Operations and Services
IST Telecommunications, UC Berkeley
P: <a href="tel:%2B1%20510%20643%209837" value="+15106439837">+1 510 643 9837 C: <a href="tel:%2B1%20510%20517%209408" value="+15105179408">+1 510 517 9408 E: [hidden email]

Re: [Micronet] New Visitor WiFi Service - Address Ranges

Isaac Orr
Hi Graham,

Pretty much, yes, nothing has changed technically in the way the
service functions since Haas's pilot.

iso