[Micronet] Not about charter but about structure/tools/communication

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Micronet] Not about charter but about structure/tools/communication

Mark Stuhr
Still relatively new on campus, 2.5 years. Been on Micronet for most of that time and just wondering if there's ever been a discussion of Micronet adding a digital forum to its structure/charter/workflow.

Something along the lines of


It seems to me with the variety of great minds and even greater problems that we all deal with and the myriad ways folks find to skin each cat/problem that having a forum of that type where info is threaded and archived on broad topics and sub-topics would allow and potentially promote a much greater sense of "not reinventing the wheel" and making sure we get the best opportunity to learn from each others successes and failures.

Just a thought.

Thanks

--
Go Bears



Mark Stuhr
IT Director
Information Systems

Intercollegiate Athletics
184 Haas Pavilion, Berkeley, CA 94720

P: 510-642-8418  C: 510-912-6621  E: [hidden email]  W:  CalBears.com

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | YouTube


 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
The following was automatically added to this message by the list server:

To learn more about Micronet, including how to subscribe to or unsubscribe from its mailing list and how to find out about upcoming meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:

http://micronet.berkeley.edu

Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Micronet] Not about charter but about structure/tools/communication

Graham Patterson

A forum would demand more management time. At the moment, Aron's mailing
list commitment is low enough I think it is not an issue. The
Coordinator's time is usually granted (somehow) by the department
involved. I know when I was doing it, my boss considered it reasonable
experience/training, and the contacts were usually beneficial to the
department.

Micronet does tend to look at all sides of a problem (and often invents
a few new 'sides' in the process), so extracting a best practice might
be more difficult than it seems at first glance.

Where that effort could be well spent is in adding material to the IT
knowledgebase. At the moment you need to look in the EEI CalShare space
of desktop configuration info, the Calnet space for some CalNet/Active
Directory stuff, the CalNet AD space, IST for wireless and wired
networking, and so on.

We really do not need another place to look. We do not even have a
Tolkien solution with one site to rule them all 8-)


Graham

On 2/5/15 1:54 PM, Mark Stuhr wrote:

> Still relatively new on campus, 2.5 years. Been on Micronet for most of
> that time and just wondering if there's ever been a discussion of
> Micronet adding a digital forum to its structure/charter/workflow.
>
> Something along the lines of
>
> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/index.php
> <mailto:[hidden email]>
>
> It seems to me with the variety of great minds and even greater problems
> that we all deal with and the myriad ways folks find to skin each
> cat/problem that having a forum of that type where info is threaded and
> archived on broad topics and sub-topics would allow and potentially
> promote a much greater sense of "not reinventing the wheel" and making
> sure we get the best opportunity to learn from each others successes and
> failures.
>
> Just a thought.
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Go Bears
>
> **
> ***
> **
> *
> *
> *
> *Mark Stuhr*
> IT Director
> Information Systems
>
> Intercollegiate Athletics
> 184 Haas Pavilion, Berkeley, CA 94720
>
> *P: *510-642-8418  *C: *510-912-6621  *E: ***[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>  *W**:*  CalBears.com
> <http://www.calbears.com/>
>
> Follow us on Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/calathletics> | Twitter
> <http://www.twitter.com/calathletics> | YouTube
> <http://www.youtube.com/calathletics>
>
>
>  
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> The following was automatically added to this message by the list server:
>
> To learn more about Micronet, including how to subscribe to or unsubscribe from its mailing list and how to find out about upcoming meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>
> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.
>


--
Graham Patterson, Systems Administrator
Lawrence Hall of Science, UC Berkeley   510-643-1984
"...past the iguana, the tyrannosaurus, the mastodon, the mathematical
puzzles, and the meteorite..." - used to be the directions to my office.

 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
The following was automatically added to this message by the list server:

To learn more about Micronet, including how to subscribe to or unsubscribe from its mailing list and how to find out about upcoming meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:

http://micronet.berkeley.edu

Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Micronet] Not about charter but about structure/tools/communication

Aron Roberts
In reply to this post by Mark Stuhr
Hi Mark,

  Thanks very much for thinking of this and your suggestions. That AVS forum to which you pointed us looks great, and given the vast numbers of posts, the hierarchically classified forums there really do make sense.

  At present, Micronet has two "forums lite": specifically, web-based archives of past posts to this mailing list, which can be viewed both in threaded and flat modes, and which are also searchable:

  http://micronet.berkeley.edu/maillist#Archives

  To spotlight one of those: in October 2014, Ryan Lovett suggested that we offer Mail Archive as a parallel alternative to Nabble for hosting the Micronet mailing list archive, given some features that he admired there, and volunteered to make it so. (Thanks, Ryan!)

  As Graham Patterson mentioned, the campus's IT-related documentation - including FAQs, discussions, and the like - is scattered across a wide variety of tools (and instances of those tools), in a number of different campus units. If you or others have ideas or tool suggestions that might help address that - whether forum software, Q&A software in the style of Stack Exchange, or just about anything plausible, really - you're cordially invited to start a discussion here, schedule a Micronet meeting, propose a pilot, etc.

  In general, my experience has been that the lower the barrier required to re-purpose existing forms of communications into new forms, and the less manual curation required, the lower the barrier will be ...

  Regarding the latter,one example that comes to mind is how, on Stack Overflow and other Stack Exchange sites, a large fraction of the users of these sites can submit proposed answers to questions, with more useful and/or current answers being continually upvoted over less useful responses; with reputation ratings (and the privileges they confer) providing some additional form of quality control; and with the ability to comment on answers making it possible to provide timely updates, surface exceptions or nuances not mentioned in answers, for instance.

Aron Roberts
Research IT

On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 1:54 PM, Mark Stuhr <[hidden email]> wrote:
Still relatively new on campus, 2.5 years. Been on Micronet for most of that time and just wondering if there's ever been a discussion of Micronet adding a digital forum to its structure/charter/workflow.

Something along the lines of


It seems to me with the variety of great minds and even greater problems that we all deal with and the myriad ways folks find to skin each cat/problem that having a forum of that type where info is threaded and archived on broad topics and sub-topics would allow and potentially promote a much greater sense of "not reinventing the wheel" and making sure we get the best opportunity to learn from each others successes and failures.

Just a thought.

Thanks

--
Go Bears



Mark Stuhr
IT Director
Information Systems

Intercollegiate Athletics
184 Haas Pavilion, Berkeley, CA 94720

P: <a href="tel:510-642-8418" value="+15106428418" target="_blank">510-642-8418  C: <a href="tel:510-912-6621" value="+15109126621" target="_blank">510-912-6621  E: [hidden email]  W:  CalBears.com

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | YouTube



-------------------------------------------------------------------------
The following was automatically added to this message by the list server:

To learn more about Micronet, including how to subscribe to or unsubscribe from its mailing list and how to find out about upcoming meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:

http://micronet.berkeley.edu

Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.



 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
The following was automatically added to this message by the list server:

To learn more about Micronet, including how to subscribe to or unsubscribe from its mailing list and how to find out about upcoming meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:

http://micronet.berkeley.edu

Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Micronet] Not about charter but about structure/tools/communication

Jay Bryon
In reply to this post by Graham Patterson
I've been here 16 years now, and one of the best things about micronet is that it's a casual (do not mistake "casual" for "unprofessional") environment where solution seeking can take place without a lot of hoops to jump through or overhead for anyone involved.  

I honestly don't care about mission statement fine points and so forth, but I would strongly recommend taking the "if it ain't broke..." approach to the list itself.  It works.  It's efficient.  It's simple.  

Adding fashionable geegaws to make something look snazzier or "industry standard" is not going to make it better, but worse.  

This list is a resource comprised of the minimum of technology necessary and the maximum of technical people, as it should be, IMHO.  

-J

On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 2:11 PM, Graham Patterson <[hidden email]> wrote:

A forum would demand more management time. At the moment, Aron's mailing
list commitment is low enough I think it is not an issue. The
Coordinator's time is usually granted (somehow) by the department
involved. I know when I was doing it, my boss considered it reasonable
experience/training, and the contacts were usually beneficial to the
department.

Micronet does tend to look at all sides of a problem (and often invents
a few new 'sides' in the process), so extracting a best practice might
be more difficult than it seems at first glance.

Where that effort could be well spent is in adding material to the IT
knowledgebase. At the moment you need to look in the EEI CalShare space
of desktop configuration info, the Calnet space for some CalNet/Active
Directory stuff, the CalNet AD space, IST for wireless and wired
networking, and so on.

We really do not need another place to look. We do not even have a
Tolkien solution with one site to rule them all 8-)


Graham

On 2/5/15 1:54 PM, Mark Stuhr wrote:
> Still relatively new on campus, 2.5 years. Been on Micronet for most of
> that time and just wondering if there's ever been a discussion of
> Micronet adding a digital forum to its structure/charter/workflow.
>
> Something along the lines of
>
> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/index.php
> <mailto:[hidden email]>
>
> It seems to me with the variety of great minds and even greater problems
> that we all deal with and the myriad ways folks find to skin each
> cat/problem that having a forum of that type where info is threaded and
> archived on broad topics and sub-topics would allow and potentially
> promote a much greater sense of "not reinventing the wheel" and making
> sure we get the best opportunity to learn from each others successes and
> failures.
>
> Just a thought.
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Go Bears
>
> **
> ***
> **
> *
> *
> *
> *Mark Stuhr*
> IT Director
> Information Systems
>
> Intercollegiate Athletics
> 184 Haas Pavilion, Berkeley, CA 94720
>
> *P: *<a href="tel:510-642-8418" value="+15106428418">510-642-8418  *C: *<a href="tel:510-912-6621" value="+15109126621">510-912-6621  *E: ***[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>  *W**:*  CalBears.com
> <http://www.calbears.com/>
>
> Follow us on Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/calathletics> | Twitter
> <http://www.twitter.com/calathletics> | YouTube
> <http://www.youtube.com/calathletics>
>
>
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> The following was automatically added to this message by the list server:
>
> To learn more about Micronet, including how to subscribe to or unsubscribe from its mailing list and how to find out about upcoming meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>
> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.
>


--
Graham Patterson, Systems Administrator
Lawrence Hall of Science, UC Berkeley   <a href="tel:510-643-1984" value="+15106431984">510-643-1984
"...past the iguana, the tyrannosaurus, the mastodon, the mathematical
puzzles, and the meteorite..." - used to be the directions to my office.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------
The following was automatically added to this message by the list server:

To learn more about Micronet, including how to subscribe to or unsubscribe from its mailing list and how to find out about upcoming meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:

http://micronet.berkeley.edu

Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.



--
Jay Bryon
Senior Network Engineer, U.C. Berkeley/IST/IS/Network Operations and Services 
2-5636


 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
The following was automatically added to this message by the list server:

To learn more about Micronet, including how to subscribe to or unsubscribe from its mailing list and how to find out about upcoming meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:

http://micronet.berkeley.edu

Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Micronet] Not about charter but about structure/tools/communication

secabeen
In reply to this post by Mark Stuhr
Generally, I am against any migration from a mailing list to a forum.
Mailing lists come into my mail box, which I'm constantly working with.
 I have to remember to visit a forum, and unless it has thousands of
regular visitors, I won't make it part of my routine, and nor with other
users, so it quickly becomes a ghost town.

I think the mailing list archive is a great resource, and a good
companion to the list.

--Ted

On 2/5/2015 1:54 PM, Mark Stuhr wrote:

> Still relatively new on campus, 2.5 years. Been on Micronet for most of
> that time and just wondering if there's ever been a discussion of
> Micronet adding a digital forum to its structure/charter/workflow.
>
> Something along the lines of
>
> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/index.php
> <mailto:[hidden email]>
>
> It seems to me with the variety of great minds and even greater problems
> that we all deal with and the myriad ways folks find to skin each
> cat/problem that having a forum of that type where info is threaded and
> archived on broad topics and sub-topics would allow and potentially
> promote a much greater sense of "not reinventing the wheel" and making
> sure we get the best opportunity to learn from each others successes and
> failures.
>
> Just a thought.
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Go Bears
>
> **
> ***
> **
> *
> *
> *
> *Mark Stuhr*
> IT Director
> Information Systems
>
> Intercollegiate Athletics
> 184 Haas Pavilion, Berkeley, CA 94720
>
> *P: *510-642-8418  *C: *510-912-6621  *E: ***[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>  *W**:*  CalBears.com
> <http://www.calbears.com/>
>
> Follow us on Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/calathletics> | Twitter
> <http://www.twitter.com/calathletics> | YouTube
> <http://www.youtube.com/calathletics>
>
>
>  
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> The following was automatically added to this message by the list server:
>
> To learn more about Micronet, including how to subscribe to or unsubscribe from its mailing list and how to find out about upcoming meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>
> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.
>

 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
The following was automatically added to this message by the list server:

To learn more about Micronet, including how to subscribe to or unsubscribe from its mailing list and how to find out about upcoming meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:

http://micronet.berkeley.edu

Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.