[Micronet] Number/Percentage of Macs on campus

[Micronet] Number/Percentage of Macs on campus

Vic Wong
Hi,

Does anyone have a good idea of how many Macintosh computers (number
and/or percentage) UC has on the Berkeley campus (i.e., not counting
personally-owned computers).

We need a good estimate for a report. The Operational Excellence
report has roughly 18% in our buying cycle, but I don't know how that
correlates with installed base.

Thanks,
Vic

--
====================================
Victor Wong   (510) 642-5031

Re: [Micronet] Number/Percentage of Macs on campus

mcstevem
Vic: This is neither a direct nor a complete answer, but in case it's helpful: Of all traffic to the UC Berkeley gateway website over the past year from a campus IP address (~2.2 million visits), 77% of users were on the Windows operating system, while 21% were running the Mac OS. (Linux, mobile platforms and a host of obscure OS's combined for the remaining 2%.)

Caveats: This measures OS use, not hardware platform; it's only for computers used to browse the Berkeley web; and it has all the standard over- and under-reporting issues of any statistics generated by Google Analytics.

~ Steve
Steve McConnell
Web managing editor, UC Berkeley
[hidden email]
510/643.7789
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
UC Berkeley NewsCenter
http://newscenter.berkeley.edu
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

On 9/15/2010 10:08 AM, Vic Wong wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone have a good idea of how many Macintosh computers (number
and/or percentage) UC has on the Berkeley campus (i.e., not counting
personally-owned computers).

We need a good estimate for a report. The Operational Excellence
report has roughly 18% in our buying cycle, but I don't know how that
correlates with installed base.

Thanks,
Vic

Re: [Micronet] Number/Percentage of Macs on campus

Aron Roberts
At 10:55 -0700 2010-09-15, Steve McConnell wrote:
>Vic: This is neither a direct nor a complete answer, but in case
>it's helpful: Of all traffic to the UC Berkeley gateway website over
>the past year from a campus IP address (~2.2 million visits), 77% of
>users were on the Windows operating system, while 21% were running
>the Mac OS.

   Thanks, Steve!  That's definitely of interest.

   That figure - suggesting that Macs might represent approximately
21%-22% of the workstations on the campus network - has been
remarkably consistent across three different metrics over the last
four to five years.  Two additional data points from 2005 and 2006,
to add to Steve McConnell's recent observation, appear below.

   The most interesting metric is probably the summary from the SNS
security scans of the campus network, as that comes closest to a
direct measurement of the percentage of Macintoshes, among campus
network-connected workstations.  (This is contrasted with percentages
of website visitors, self-reports of one's computer platform in
surveys, etc.)

   However, there are some ambiguities with the SNS scanning metrics
as well.  One example: in recent years, many campus Macs have been
running Mac OS X firewall software that isn't readily configurable to
allow security scans by SNS, and possibly as a result, the percentage
of 'unknown' platform machines in these scans has significantly
increased.

Aron

--