[Micronet] Obscure Dell PowerEdge R410 Question

[Micronet] Obscure Dell PowerEdge R410 Question

Jon Forrest
One of the researchers around here bought
a Dell PowerEdge R410 to use with Linux.
It came configured with a Perc S300 software
RAID controller which doesn't work at
all with Linux. So, I thought I'd remove
the RAID controller and hook the disks
up directly to the SATA connections.

The problem is that this system uses
those "integrated" SATA connectors
that have both power and data in one
unit. The power wires go directly
to a non-standard power plug. I don't
see any standard power source to use
instead. Without a power source for
the disk drives this system is
dead in the water.

Has anybody dealt with a problem
like this?

Cordially,
--
Jon Forrest
Research Computing Support

[Micronet] Obscure Dell PowerEdge R410 Question

David Johnson-2

    Jon> One of the researchers around here bought a Dell PowerEdge
    Jon> R410 to use with Linux.  It came configured with a Perc S300
    Jon> software RAID controller which doesn't work at all with
    Jon> Linux. So, I thought I'd remove the RAID controller and hook
    Jon> the disks up directly to the SATA connections.

    Jon> The problem is that this system uses those "integrated" SATA
    Jon> connectors that have both power and data in one unit. The
    Jon> power wires go directly to a non-standard power plug. I don't
    Jon> see any standard power source to use instead. Without a power
    Jon> source for the disk drives this system is dead in the water.

We had this exact same issue in an R410 and Dell swapped the card for
us (I think to a SAS6/iR).  What's more the older card actually cost
less, so we got a few dollars back from the deal!

David.