[Micronet] Off-Line Access to bMail and Portable Thunderbird

[Micronet] Off-Line Access to bMail and Portable Thunderbird

John McChesney-Young
I think I know the answer to my first question but I thought I'd toss
it out along with a second.

We have an emeritus professor who wants to be able to access
(read-only) his bMail while off-line in the wilds of France. My first
thought was Thunderbird - he's on Windows - but before giving up on
the idea I thought I'd make sure no one here has discovered a clever
way to download an entire bMail archive in some neat tidy single file
format, have they?

He was also interested in being able to have it on an external hard
drive (or maybe flash drive?) and there's a portable version of
Thunderbird which looks very suitable. I wrote bConnected help and was
told it "looks viable," but do any of you out there have any
experience actually using with it with bMail?

http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/thunderbird_portable

Thanks, stay cool, and have a good weekend!

Oh, and I almost forgot, happy Tau Day!

http://tauday.com/

I'd thought of it off and on the last week and noticed it had arrived
this morning and then forgot it in the throes of work.

Best,

John

--
John McChesney-Young, Administrative Assistant
History of Art Department, 416 Doe MC6020

Re: [Micronet] Off-Line Access to bMail and Portable Thunderbird

Greg Merritt
Wrong OS for your case, but the approach is interesting:

https://scottlinux.com/2011/02/28/backup-gmail-account-in-linux/

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 4:54 PM, Greg Merritt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Wrong OS for your case, but the approach is interesting:
>
> https://scottlinux.com/2011/02/28/backup-gmail-account-in-linux/

Oh, that looks great! I'll keep it in mind for myself. I wonder
whether it would work under Cygwin? - which I only know about by
reputation. Although this professor doesn't strike me as a Terminal
sort of man...

But that's exactly the kind of thing I had in mind.

Thanks very much!

Best,

John

--
John McChesney-Young, Administrative Assistant
History of Art Department, 416 Doe MC6020
U. C. Berkeley, Berkeley CA 94720-6020
[hidden email] // voice 1-510-642-5511 // fax 1-510-643-2185

Re: [Micronet] Off-Line Access to bMail and Portable Thunderbird

secabeen
Have you tried IMAP Offline mode in Thunderbird, or is that what you
were planning on doing?

--Ted