[Micronet] One IT News | April 2016

Ocio-Comm Departmental

One IT News is a bi-monthly newsletter providing status on key IT projects and initiatives,
important dates, events, news, and announcements from campus-wide partners.
Larry Conrad photoWelcome to the inaugural issue of One IT News. We've made great strides in building the One IT community since launching the movement in 2014. IT units across campus are doing terrific work and we hope this e-newsletter will be another way for us to connect, share news, and invite participation at upcoming events. The role of IT at UC Berkeley is evolving as rapidly as the technology we use. From building research environments that help create new knowledge, to sustaining the technology and managing the data that power the campus experience, we provide campus with the tools to learn, teach, and discover.
The stories shared here serve as a sampling of the work we do, each day, in direct support of the teaching, research, and public service mission of UC Berkeley. We hope you enjoy this issue. I look forward to seeing you at the IT Summit on May 24!
~ Larry Conrad, Associate Vice Chancellor for IT and Chief Information Officer

Good-Bye Tele-BEARS, Hello CalCentral, Welcome Class of 2020

highway photo

arrow up image

The SIS Project team hit several big milestones in March. The biggest SIS project Go-Live was released March 21, which included new CalCentral functionality that replacesTele-BEARS beginning with fall semester 2016 enrollment. In a great example of One IT collaboration, the SIS project team hosted the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, Financial Aid & Scholarships Office (FASO), Student Affairs IT (SAIT), and Educational Technology Services (ETS) CalCentral teams for the management, coordination, and successful release of admissions decisions to over 80,000 Class of 2020 freshman applicants -- through the new SIS. See all milestones | Watch the SIS video | Visit SIS website

PI Portfolio Phase 3: Projections - Enhancements Now Available

Student photo

arrow up image

PI Portfolio has been updated to include enhancements that will allow users to view detailed and current actuals and projected balances for faculty designated funds. PI Portfolio is a Cal Answers tool that provides a comprehensive picture of fund balances, expenses, and budgets for faculty-managed funds and sponsored awards. RAs or Departmental Staff/Department Managers fulfilling the role of creating projections can sign up for training on the enhancements in PI Portfolio. Training materials and more information on the enhancements are available on the PI Portfolio website.

ServiceNow Project Completion Aims to Improve Customer Service

ServiceNow flow chart image

arrow up image

The ServiceNow Incident Management and Service Request project wrapped on March 31! The year-long project has standardized IST, as well as other campus IT partners like Student Affairs IT (SAIT), Educational Technology Services (ETS), the SIS project, and Haas School of Business on a single tool and a limited, shared set of processes to enable more efficient and effective incident handling, improving customer experience. Read project details here.

SAIT's Student Leadership Program: Building Skills for the Future

SAIT students photo

arrow up image

"Working in Student Affairs IT has given me both technical and customer service background that can benefit me not only in IT but in many other career fields. Knowing troubleshooting at any level is always a plus for any employer, also being able to work with people and identify how to resolve customers issues is very important and those are things that are constantly reinforced in this environment." Rachel, a Cognitive Science major graduating in 2017, shares her experience as a student employee in SAIT. Read article | Visit ResComp jobs

BRC Program Receives NSF Grant for Cyberinfrastructure Engineer

technology image

arrow up image

A Cyberinfrastructure Engineer funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF) will soon begin to help researchers adapt and scale research workflows to take advantage of campus cyberinfrastructure including the Berkeley Research Computing (BRC) resources, the Science DMZ and associated high-speed networking, and high-speed data transfer tools. The position will be funded by an ACI Campus Cyberinfrastructure (CC-NIE) grant awarded by the NSF in December 2015, and will augment the BRC Program’s staff. CIO Larry Conrad is the Principal Investigator on the grant. Learn more | Job Posting #21444

A #Haasome Time Had by All

haas event photo

arrow up image

The Haas School of Business was the location for the most recent One IT event (the twelfth since kicking off the movement two years ago!). More than 250 participants gathered on April 14 to hear from CIO Larry Conrad, Haas CIO Kevin Cornish, Dean Rich Lyons, and Professor Frank Schultz. Kevin Cornish opened his remarks by saying, "It really makes me feel good seeing all these faces from around campus," then proceeded to cite how Haas continues to embrace technology with new and innovative technology solutions. Attendees were ushered into the Expo portion of the event by the charming “Haas-bot” robot, to view and experience the technologies used by Haas. Read full article | View event photos

Academic Innovation Studio Opens

lecture photo

arrow up image

ETS and Research IT are excited to introduce The Academic Innovation Studio. This new space is a place where faculty, graduate student instructors and academic support staff come together to think about, share, and explore academic innovation. Campus teaching, learning, and research support staff are available to engage and help think creatively and deeply about projects visitors are undertaking. AIS partners include: Center for Teaching and Learning, Research IT, the Library, Digital Humanities @ Berkeley, bConnected, Berkeley Resource Center for Online Education, and Educational Technology Services. Visit the AIS website

Mailing Lists Migrating to Google

google logo image

arrow up image

As part of a larger effort to simplify email services at UC Berkeley, the bConnected team will begin working with mailing list owners to migrate mailing lists from CalMail (Mailman) to bConnected Lists (Google Groups) starting April 27, 2016. List owners will be able to migrate their CalMail lists through December 20, 2016. Check out the newly launched bConnected Lists service page for the most up-to-date information. View program overview.

CSS IT Continues to Demonstrate Teamwork

CCS IT image

arrow up image

CSS IT is working on several coordinated efforts with our campus IT partners. We are in close collaboration with the bConnected team helping to clean up the campus mailing lists for the upcoming migration to bConnected Lists (Google Groups) starting at the end of April. Our techs are on the ground assisting IST with the Mac OS upgrade, having upgraded hundreds of machines since December, and we are actively helping out with answering overflow calls for the recent Go-Lives for the Student Information System (SIS) project.

April 2016

calendar image

In this issue:

Good-bye Tele-BEARS
PI Portfolio
ServiceNow
SAIT Leadership Program
BRC Program Grant
#Haasome Event
Academic Innovation
Google Mailing Lists
CSS IT Updates

IT summit image

security image

protecting credentials image

in it together conference image

volunteer one it image

twitter logo image

wisdom cafe image

UC blog image

Resources:

Technology@
IT Org Charts
IT Staff Orgs

One IT News is produced by the Office of the CIO in collaboration with the following IT partners:
Campus Shared Services IT | Educational Technology Services | Electrical Engineering & Computer Sciences
Haas Technology Solutions | Information Services & Technology (IST) | Intercollegiate Athletics IT | Law IT |
Library IT | Research IT | Student Affairs Information Technologies (SAIT)

Office of the CIO | Earl Warren Hall, 2195 Hearst Ave., Suite 200, Berkeley, CA 94720-4878
Phone: <a href="tel:%28510%29%20643-4090" value="+15106434090" target="_blank">(510) 643-4090 | Fax: <a href="tel:%28510%29%20643-5385" value="+15106435385" target="_blank">(510) 643-5385 | Website: technology.berkeley.edu

berkeley logo