[Micronet] Operating System/Browser combinations for ImageNow (WebNow), BFSv9, Bear Buy, Bairs, and CalAnswers

[Micronet] Operating System/Browser combinations for ImageNow (WebNow), BFSv9, Bear Buy, Bairs, and CalAnswers

Nicholas Phelps
A number of system support units collaborated to produce a list of operating
system/browser combinations for the commonly used "central" applications
ImageNow (WebNow), BFSv9, Bear Buy, Bairs, and CalAnswers. This list may be
found at:
http://www.bai.berkeley.edu/support/SupportedOS_Browsers.htm

Thanks to Stacey Templeman, Roesia Gerstein, and Rob Cannon for all their
work!

Nicholas Phelps
Imagine System Administrator

Re: [Micronet] Operating System/Browser combinations for ImageNow (WebNow), BFSv9, Bear Buy, Bairs, and CalAnswers

Greg Merritt
Wow!  Mac OS 9/Firefox 3.0 is certified & supported for BFS 9, but Mac OSX 10.7 is not listed. :)

Re: [Micronet] Operating System/Browser combinations for ImageNow (WebNow), BFSv9, Bear Buy, Bairs, and CalAnswers

Graham Patterson

And OS X 10.8 is due out this month...

Graham

On 7/13/12 1:36 PM, Greg Merritt wrote:
> Wow!  Mac OS 9/Firefox 3.0 is certified & supported for BFS 9, but Mac OSX 10.7 is not listed. :)
>
> -Greg

Re: [Micronet] Operating System/Browser combinations for ImageNow (WebNow), BFSv9, Bear Buy, Bairs, and CalAnswers

Jonathan Felder-2
That's ok.  I see no reason to maintain minimum campus security
standards on machines used for accessing financial information.

--
Jon

On 7/13/12 1:36 PM, Greg Merritt wrote:

> Wow!  Mac OS 9/Firefox 3.0 is certified & supported for BFS 9, but Mac OSX 10.7 is not listed. :)
>
> -Greg

Re: [Micronet] Operating System/Browser combinations for ImageNow (WebNow), BFSv9, Bear Buy, Bairs, and CalAnswers

It is good to see this information drawn together in one place. Sorting
out the special cases depending on need should be simpler now. Not that
I'm happy about the levels, of course.

Graham

On 7/13/12 1:32 PM, Nicholas Phelps wrote:

> A number of system support units collaborated to produce a list of operating
> system/browser combinations for the commonly used "central" applications
> ImageNow (WebNow), BFSv9, Bear Buy, Bairs, and CalAnswers. This list may be
> found at:
> http://www.bai.berkeley.edu/support/SupportedOS_Browsers.htm
>
> Thanks to Stacey Templeman, Roesia Gerstein, and Rob Cannon for all their
> work!
>
> Nicholas Phelps
> Imagine System Administrator

Re: [Micronet] Operating System/Browser combinations for ImageNow (WebNow), BFSv9, Bear Buy, Bairs, and CalAnswers

paul rivers

There's been some progress on this front.  Hopefully the BAIRS folks
will chime in to discuss.

This issue has been discussed recently at the last several Security
Operations Workgroup (SOW) meetings.

For campus-level security programs, the SOW is main discussion forum.
We'd encourage at least one representative from each department to
attend from time to time to stay aware of efforts such as campus systems
and dated browsers.

There's more information on the SOW here:

https://security.berkeley.edu/node/95

The corresponding email list for security discussions is
[hidden email].  It's kept distinct from Micronet for
reasons that are described here:

https://security.berkeley.edu/ucb-security

SNS will begin enforcing campus minimum security standards for browsers
next calendar year.  We are currently trying to work with systems that
require old browsers, so this browser issue can be fixed first.   SNS
will certainly put a lot of time and energy into communication well in
advance of starting this enforcement.

If you currently are involved in IT on campus and not on ucb-security, I
would invite you to subscribe.  There will be more announcements on this
in the coming months.

Regards,
Paul