[Micronet] Password Management Site License

[Micronet] Password Management Site License

SERGEY SHEVTCHENKO
Hello Micronetters,

I'm in the market for recommending a password management system to our faculty and staff. I recall the earlier discussion about password management systems, but I was wondering if the campus already had a contract with any of them. Seems like a good idea from both procurement and security standpoints.

Thanks for your help,

Sergey Shevtchenko
Interim IT Director
Goldman School of Public Policy
University of California, Berkeley
tel.: (510) 643-0077

Re: [Micronet] Password Management Site License

Vivian Sophia
Shared Services is using LastPass

Vivian Sophia
Business/Tech Support Analyst
University of California, Berkeley
Campus Shared Services - IT
310J Durant Hall

On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 12:52 PM, Sergey Shevtchenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Micronetters,

I'm in the market for recommending a password management system to our faculty and staff. I recall the earlier discussion about password management systems, but I was wondering if the campus already had a contract with any of them. Seems like a good idea from both procurement and security standpoints.

Thanks for your help,

Sergey Shevtchenko
Interim IT Director
Goldman School of Public Policy
University of California, Berkeley
tel.: (510) 643-0077

Re: [Micronet] Password Management Site License

Jack Burris
I'm a big fan of Keepass " the free, open source, light-weight and easy-to-use password manager":  http://keepass.info/

Runs on most platforms.  That includes *nix and Mac (using MONO).

Just be sure the passphrase used to lock the database is well-crafted and changed frequently.

:)

Jack Burris
D-Lab

On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 12:52 PM, Sergey Shevtchenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Micronetters,

I'm in the market for recommending a password management system to our faculty and staff. I recall the earlier discussion about password management systems, but I was wondering if the campus already had a contract with any of them. Seems like a good idea from both procurement and security standpoints.

Thanks for your help,

Sergey Shevtchenko
Interim IT Director
Goldman School of Public Policy
University of California, Berkeley
tel.: (510) 643-0077

----------------------------

“The struggle of the people versus power is the struggle of memory versus forgetting.” ― Milan Kundera

Re: [Micronet] Password Management Site License

Michael Chung-2
I second Jack's recommendation on KeePass.

Have been using it for sometime now with both password and key file to secure the database.

Michael

Sent from my mobile phone.

On Apr 15, 2014, at 1:02 PM, Jack BURRIS <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Tim Heidinger
I'm a big fan of LastPass (http://LastPass.com/).

Thoroughly reviewed by the "Trust No One" (TNO) guy, Steve Gibson of the "Security Now" podcast,   see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4-h5gWpvAc for the videocast of his review, or google "LastPass explained by Steve Gibson" youtube if you too are a TNO fan and avoids links in emails.

Tim

Tim Heidinger <[hidden email]>
University of California, Berkeley
Student Affairs Information Technology
Skype: theidinger  Phone: (510) 629-4272

On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 12:58 PM, Vivian Sophia <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Luke Rockwell
We use LastPass with a shared account and even has the ability to have multiple profiles in it. We also secure it 2 factor authorization with a yubi key.

Luke Rockwell
Systems and Support Analyst
Information Technology

Cal Alumni Association | UC Berkeley
1 Alumni House, Berkeley, CA 94720
T 510.900.8196
F 510.642.6252

Commitment, Support, Passion

_____________________________________

alumni.berkeley.edu

_____________________________________

Facebook | LinkedIn

On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 1:42 PM, Tim Heidinger <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Joyce Martin

Ok, I can’t resist. I saw these all over Barnes and Noble last year.  Just what a burglar would like!

Joyce Martin

Business Systems Analyst

Information Technology, Real Estate Division

2000 Carleton

Berkeley, CA  94720-1380

(510) 643-1485

calshare links – log in like this:  CAMPUS\yourcalnetID     Password: your calnet passphrase

Joyce's Blog on Google Apps - bCal bMail Drive

FSITSupport Website

Universal Desktop User Info – Prep Info, How To’s, Discussion Board

Re: [Micronet] Password Management Site License

Michael Chung
Clearly the blue cover is the more secure of the two options.  I mean, look at that pad lock logo! ;)

Michael Chung
Systems Administrator
Enterprise Computing & Service Management
Haas School of Business, UC Berkeley
Student Services Building, Room S300D
Berkeley, CA 94720-1900

Typical Office Schedule
Offsite: M-F
At Haas: On-demand

On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 3:06 PM, Joyce MARTIN <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Administrative Analyst
U.C. Berkeley College of Chemistry
Business Office
410 Latimer Hall #1460
Berkeley, CA 94720-1460

(510) 642-1325 phone
(510) 642-4313 fax

Re: [Micronet] Password Management Site License

ricky freed
that degenerated quickly.

(mine is the blue one...i LIKE that lock!)

Re: [Micronet] Password Management Site License

I spent a while last weekend moving to LastPass (my password practices were already pretty good, but Heartbleed convinced me to go fully-21st-century about it all).  I spent a while looking at LastPass, 1Password, and KeePass.  All 3 look pretty good, but I personally settled on LastPass.  I'm happy with that choice for a few reasons:
  • It supports 2-factor authentication (I'm using Google Authenticator, but it can do others, too).
  • It supports a very wide range of desktop and mobile OSes
  • It allows me to securely share a password with another LastPass user.  So, for example, my wife and I can both have access to the password for our joint bank account.
  • It's pretty easy to use
  • It makes it pretty easy to export all my passwords if I ever change my mind about what tool to use
  • There was a free version for me to try out before I purchased the real version (only $1/month).
  • It does nice things with the ability to use one-time passwords on untrusted computers, restricting which countries you can log in from, etc.
  • I'm happy to have a place where I can keep track of all of the more obscure accounts I use only once or twice a year (atyourservice.ucop.edu, anyone?)
(Note that some or all of the above may be true about any of these tools, I'm just sharing what I'm happy about in terms of having LastPass.)

Hope that helps somehow....

Ian

On Apr 15, 2014, at 1:42 PM, Tim Heidinger <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

___

IST-Architecture, Platforms and Integration (API)
Earl Warren Hall, Second Floor

Re: [Micronet] Password Management Site License

Dale Engle
+1 for Lastpass. You do have to make sure you configure timeouts for your web browsing sessions or it can stay permanently logged in, but it's very configurable in that regard. They also had a nice tool for testing Heartbleed vulnerabilities that went a bit further into cert history than the filippo.io site.

<=================> Dale Engle <=> IST Data Services <=> UC Berkeley <=================>
On 4/15/2014 3:33 PM, Ian Crew wrote:
[...]

David Schwartz

While all of Ian’s points below are true, I tried to like LastPass but find myself preferring 1Password in day to day use.

Some of my reasons:

- It’s an application, not an online service. Not that I’m specifically distrustful of the the way data is stored online by LastPass, it’s just that I like to be able to access and edit things outside of a browser.

- The 1Password application is rich and attractive.

- It syncs with DropBox, giving me access across all my devices.

- It can sync Vault files among multiple users (via Dropbox or other file level sharing methods).

- Its browser plugin provides a nicer interface and more tools via the “1Password Mini” application.

- It’s easier to use then LastPass.

- Did I say it’s more attractive?

I recognize the lack of access from any online browser might be seen as a detriment for some users; without one of my devices in hand I don’t have access to my passwords. Then again, with two factor authentication I would need my code generating device anyway. And many of Ian’s other reasons are absent in 1Password; there is a plain text export but it’s a kinda cumbersome csv, and it’s more expensive then the $1/month he quotes (currently on sale for half price at $25). A case could be made that the reason it’s easier to use is because it has fewer features/less capability, but I still like it better.

We use LastPass here in CSS IT, but ironically I maintain my LastPass login password in my 1Password Vault. That way I only need to remember one master passphrase (and have access to my iPhone for the two-step authentication code).

-David