[Micronet] Power over Ethernet @ UC Berkeley?

Kevin Chan
Hi all,

I am curious as to whether there is any active (in testing or otherwise)
locations on campus that supports Power over Ethernet? I am asking as I
am testing some Power over Ethernet devices and want to confirm that
this standard is not available on campus before I purchase a Power over
Ethernet Injector device.

   Kevin Chan

   Operations Team
   Educational Technology Services
   UC Berkeley

Re: [Micronet] Power over Ethernet @ UC Berkeley?

Michael Sinatra
On Wed, 20 Jul 2011, Kevin Chan wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am curious as to whether there is any active (in testing or otherwise)
> locations on campus that supports Power over Ethernet? I am asking as I
> am testing some Power over Ethernet devices and want to confirm that
> this standard is not available on campus before I purchase a Power over
> Ethernet Injector device.

I'll let someone who still actually works for the network group respond
authoritatively, but...

Airbears kinda wouldn't work without PoE, so you can pretty much bet that
the campus supports it in some way.  You should probably ask if they can
provide it on the specific port(s) that you need.

If you need help contacting the correct people, the Service Desk is your
friend.

michael

Re: [Micronet] Power over Ethernet @ UC Berkeley?

Work
POE in production for Airbears in 2000 carleton (ppcs) and 1936 university (Facility Services)

Lawrence felipe

[hidden email].
Cell: (510) 812-0832
Desk: (510) 643-9835

On Jul 20, 2011, at 2:01 PM, Michael Sinatra <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Jul 2011, Kevin Chan wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am curious as to whether there is any active (in testing or otherwise)
>> locations on campus that supports Power over Ethernet? I am asking as I
>> am testing some Power over Ethernet devices and want to confirm that
>> this standard is not available on campus before I purchase a Power over
>> Ethernet Injector device.
>
> I'll let someone who still actually works for the network group respond
> authoritatively, but...
>
> Airbears kinda wouldn't work without PoE, so you can pretty much bet that
> the campus supports it in some way.  You should probably ask if they can
> provide it on the specific port(s) that you need.
>
> If you need help contacting the correct people, the Service Desk is your
> friend.
>
> michael

Re: [Micronet] Power over Ethernet @ UC Berkeley?

Jay Bryon
We do use PoE for AirBears, but are still evaluating the technology in
both that application and in general.

It is not a production service to users at this time (outside of the
indirect case of AirBears), but we can discuss your application and what
the appropriate approach is (it may not be through a campus network
connection).

-Jay

--
Jay Bryon
Senior Network Engineer, U.C. Berkeley/IST/IS/Network Operations and Services

"Next generation Dragon... will use the same escape engines for on target propulsive landing... This enables landing on any solid surface in the solar system."
-SpaceX on Crew Development Program currently building hardware.

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"
-Chinese proverb

[Unless stated explicitly otherwise, all opinions are my own and do not represent official policy of any part of IST, U.C. Berkeley or the U.C. Regents]