[Micronet] PowerMac G5 no video

Social Welfare Computing

Hello,

We have a PowerMac G5 that won't boot. It plays the boot sound, but then displays no video. It does not boot from either the DVD-Drive or the HDD as neither show signs of being accessed. Changing RAM, unplugging/changing devices (DVD-Drive, HDD, monitor, mouse, and keyboard), and resetting the PMU has no effect on the situation. We do not have any Mac video cards to test with and we don't have much experience with Macs.

Do you think this Mac can be saved and where should we be looking for the source of the problem?

Thanks for your help,
Sergey Shevtchenko
Social Welfare Computing Team
School of Social Welfare
UC Berkeley

Re: [Micronet] PowerMac G5 no video

Tom Holub
On 3/21/12 8:42 AM, Social Welfare Computing wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We have a PowerMac G5 that won't boot. It plays the boot sound, but then
> displays no video. It does not boot from either the DVD-Drive or the HDD
> as neither show signs of being accessed. Changing RAM,
> unplugging/changing devices (DVD-Drive, HDD, monitor, mouse, and
> keyboard), and resetting the PMU has no effect on the situation. We do
> not have any Mac video cards to test with and we don't have much
> experience with Macs.
>
> Do you think this Mac can be saved and where should we be looking for
> the source of the problem?

I would not put effort into it; a Mac G5 cannot run any OS which meets
the campus MSSND:
<https://security.berkeley.edu/content/mac-os-x-leopard-version-105-end-support>

If the actions you've taken so far haven't fixed it, it's probably a
significant issue with the motherboard.  Or, possibly, something weird
with the PMU battery being dead, but really, this machine should be
retired and replaced.

--
Tom Holub ([hidden email], 510-642-9069)
Director of Computing, College of Letters & Science

Re: [Micronet] PowerMac G5 no video

Probably the power supply is unable to spin the drives. Gut it for parts.

Although there is a Linux PowerPC version, it is more of an enthusiast
edition than a mainstream release. Since Apple decided to use reverse
cases compared to the PC world, it is oly good for scrap metal.

Graham

On 3/21/12 8:42 AM, Social Welfare Computing wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We have a PowerMac G5 that won't boot. It plays the boot sound, but then
> displays no video. It does not boot from either the DVD-Drive or the HDD
> as neither show signs of being accessed. Changing RAM,
> unplugging/changing devices (DVD-Drive, HDD, monitor, mouse, and
> keyboard), and resetting the PMU has no effect on the situation. We do
> not have any Mac video cards to test with and we don't have much
> experience with Macs.
>
> Do you think this Mac can be saved and where should we be looking for
> the source of the problem?
>
> Thanks for your help,
> Sergey Shevtchenko
> Social Welfare Computing Team
> School of Social Welfare
> UC Berkeley

Re: [Micronet] PowerMac G5 no video

Ian Crew
I agree with Graham:

It's likely the power supply that's dead--that's what happened when my G5 died.  A quick way to check that would be to start the thing up with the side case open: Are the fans spinning?  Are the drives spinning (you can tell by putting a finger on the drives--you'll be able to feel the slight vibration).

I also agree that it's pretty much scrap if that's the case.

Ian

On Mar 21, 2012, at 9:33 AM, Graham Patterson wrote:

> Probably the power supply is unable to spin the drives. Gut it for parts.
>
> Although there is a Linux PowerPC version, it is more of an enthusiast
> edition than a mainstream release. Since Apple decided to use reverse
> cases compared to the PC world, it is oly good for scrap metal.
>
> Graham
>
> On 3/21/12 8:42 AM, Social Welfare Computing wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> We have a PowerMac G5 that won't boot. It plays the boot sound, but then
>> displays no video. It does not boot from either the DVD-Drive or the HDD
>> as neither show signs of being accessed. Changing RAM,
>> unplugging/changing devices (DVD-Drive, HDD, monitor, mouse, and
>> keyboard), and resetting the PMU has no effect on the situation. We do
>> not have any Mac video cards to test with and we don't have much
>> experience with Macs.
>>
>> Do you think this Mac can be saved and where should we be looking for
>> the source of the problem?
>>
>> Thanks for your help,
>> Sergey Shevtchenko
>> Social Welfare Computing Team
>> School of Social Welfare
>> UC Berkeley

> Graham Patterson, Systems Administrator
> Lawrence Hall of Science, UC Berkeley   510-643-2222
> "...past the iguana, the tyrannosaurus, the mastodon, the mathematical
> puzzles, and the meteorite..." - directions to my office.

Information Services and Technology-Research and Content Technologies
University of California, Berkeley
2195 Hearst Ave, Second Floor
http://hub.berkeley.edu

Re: [Micronet] PowerMac G5 no video

Baril
Hey there.... In my experience, when a mac has a video, DVD drive AND a
Hard disk problem, then the culprit turns out to be the logic board.
There is a slight inclination to also blame the power supply (it could
be dropping voltage allowing system to initially power up but not enough
power to do much else).

Hope this helps,

Roy

--
Roy A. Baril
Director of Technology

Re: [Micronet] PowerMac G5 no video

Michael Sinatra-3
On 03/21/12 09:08, Tom Holub wrote:

> On 3/21/12 8:42 AM, Social Welfare Computing wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> We have a PowerMac G5 that won't boot. It plays the boot sound, but then
>> displays no video. It does not boot from either the DVD-Drive or the HDD
>> as neither show signs of being accessed. Changing RAM,
>> unplugging/changing devices (DVD-Drive, HDD, monitor, mouse, and
>> keyboard), and resetting the PMU has no effect on the situation. We do
>> not have any Mac video cards to test with and we don't have much
>> experience with Macs.
>>
>> Do you think this Mac can be saved and where should we be looking for
>> the source of the problem?
>
> I would not put effort into it; a Mac G5 cannot run any OS which meets
> the campus MSSND:
> <https://security.berkeley.edu/content/mac-os-x-leopard-version-105-end-support>

Graham already mentioned Linux/PPC, and all three major BSDs have very
stable PPC versions that are under active support and development.  For
several years my home router has been OpenBSD/PPC running on an old Mac
Mini.  IPv6 and connection forwarding all work great and the thing is
very stable.  For several months I ran a jabber server on a Mac Mini
running FreeBSD/PPC.  The only problems I ever had with it were caused
by Comcast, not the Mini or its OS.

In terms of Linux/PPC being only an enthusiast distro, I have heard of
people running it as a home router as well.

Splitting hairs, maybe--and probably not consequential for the G5 in
question.  But there are OSes that can run on old hardware that do still
comply with MSSND.

michael

Re: [Micronet] PowerMac G5 no video

  I've been running an internal development web server at LHS on a dual
processor G4 (!) and running Linux. It is slated for removal now that I
have space on a rack chassis, but it does the job just fine.

But that doesn't help if you want a compatible desktop and application
suite to work with the current campus standards.

Graham

On 03/21/12 10:58, Graham Patterson wrote:

>    I've been running an internal development web server at LHS on a dual
> processor G4 (!) and running Linux. It is slated for removal now that I
> have space on a rack chassis, but it does the job just fine.
>
> But that doesn't help if you want a compatible desktop and application
> suite to work with the current campus standards.

Exactly.  I was simply underscoring the difference between no OS that
can meet MSSND and "no" OS that can meet MSSND.

michael

Re: [Micronet] PowerMac G5 no video

Greg Merritt *

On Mar 21, 2012, at 11:09 AM, Michael Sinatra wrote:

> Exactly.  I was simply underscoring the difference between no OS that
> can meet MSSND and "no" OS that can meet MSSND.
>
> michael

Don't forget about NetBSD...

http://www.netbsd.org/ports/

...just in case you need to get some more mileage out of an Amiga or a Quadra.

Then again, I'm sure that packages installed via Cydia on an iPod Touch would be more reasonable for most tasks. :)