[Micronet] Print quota software

jsparks
Hi,
We currently use Print Manger Plus for our student printing needs.
I'm looking to upgrade to the latest version which will cost about $500.
Does the campus allow departments to ride on their license?
(I believe students can use their CalOne cards to access printers in the
Instructional labs, etc.)

Or, if anyone has other ideas. (free or other-wise)

Thanks,
Jay

Re: [Micronet] Print quota software

Kevin Chan-2
Hi Jay,

I believe you are referencing the instructional and general access computer facilities at ETS (http://ets.berkeley.edu/computer-facilities), which includes printing services for both recharge (via Cal1Card) and non-recharge purposes. The printing at these facilities are supported by ETS with a strong and long standing partnership with SAIT, who provides support to connect the print service to the Cal1Card system.

In addition to our computer facilities, we also provide this service to SAIT, Library and Law. The primary use case for the print service has been printing for common space/computer facilities.

We know that there is a gap in printing services, particularly for common spaces such as computer facilities or student printing. As such, ETS has been in discussions with IT partners across the campus (including the current partners, IST, CSS and other groups known to us with this need) to look at how we can scope a service that is operationally sustainable.

As such, if anyone is interested in such a printing service, please feel free to let me know via email so that I can understand your needs and see how it might inform the proposed solution.

Thanks,

  Kevin Chan

  Manager - Systems Administration Team
  Educational Technology Services
  UC Berkeley

On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 2:43 PM, Jay Sparks <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,
We currently use Print Manger Plus for our student printing needs.
I'm looking to upgrade to the latest version which will cost about $500.
Does the campus allow departments to ride on their license?
(I believe students can use their CalOne cards to access printers in the
Instructional labs, etc.)

Or, if anyone has other ideas. (free or other-wise)

Thanks,
Jay

Re: [Micronet] Print quota software

Jon Forrest-3
On 5/16/2014 2:43 PM, Jay Sparks wrote:
> Hi,
> We currently use Print Manger Plus for our student printing needs.
> I'm looking to upgrade to the latest version which will cost about $500.
> Does the campus allow departments to ride on their license?
> (I believe students can use their CalOne cards to access printers in the
> Instructional labs, etc.)
>

> Or, if anyone has other ideas. (free or other-wise)

Years ago, when I ran the computing environment in Civil
and Environmental Engineering, I got interested in the
possibility in writing an opensource print manager.
However, in spite of the fact that there were several
commercial products available, I was never able to figure
out where the hooks were in the print subsystem to make
it possible to do what they do.

That was over 10 years ago. Maybe there's a smart
undergrad looking for a project who could try to
figure this out now. I bet nearly every university
would love such a thing.

Jon Forrest
UCB (ret.)