[Micronet] Problem with AnyConnect Windows Client on Windows 7

[Micronet] Problem with AnyConnect Windows Client on Windows 7

Mike Friedman
Hi,

I'm running Windows 7 on my home computer and had been using AnyConnect 2.4.0202 successfully up until several weeks ago.  Yesterday, I tried it for the first time since then and it failed, with this message:

The VPN agent service is not responding.  Please contact your IT administrator for assistance

The message appeared even before I had a chance to enter anything.  Positioned behind the message window (but inaccessible) was the normal AnyConnect selection window, but with all fields blank.  The problem continues today, even as I write this.

I had recently installed the new iPhone version of  AnyConnect on my 3G phone and it's been working fine.  So, deciding that this was a local Windows software problem, I went to software-central and downloaded the most current version of the Windows client:  2.4.1012.  The install seemed to succeed.  I then invoked the newly-installed client and this time got a selection screen with the fields filled in (with values remembered from the old client).  But then it started to download what appeared to be additional files required to complete the installation.  This download was interrupted with the same, aforementioned, error pop-up message and the selection screen positioned behind it once again had all fields set to blank.  Subsequent attempts to invoke the client just give the error message immediately.

Is there a known problem with the AnyConnect VPN client on current (most recent updates applied) Windows 7 systems?

(I know I'm authorized to use the VPN since I'm doing it with no problems from my iPhone).

Thanks.

Mike
--
Mike Friedman
[hidden email]

Re: [Micronet] Problem with AnyConnect Windows Client on Windows 7

Karl R. Grose
Hi Mike,

On Mon, 02 May 2011 23:04:48 -0700, Mike Friedman <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> remembered from the old client).  But then it started to download what
> appeared to be additional files required to complete the installation.

Sometimes this extra download or even attempted retrograde install happens
when an in-place upgrade is done rather than an uninstall plus re-install
cycle.

> This download was interrupted with the same, aforementioned, error
> pop-up message and the selection screen positioned behind it once again
> had all fields set to blank.  Subsequent attempts to invoke the client
> just give the error message immediately.
>
> Is there a known problem with the AnyConnect VPN client on current (most
> recent updates applied) Windows 7 systems?

I just now tested a fully patched Windows 7 x64 system with the latest
Cisco AnyConnect release client (3.0.1047, available via the download links
in the IST KB article 2665) and had no issues. I recommend as a first step
doing an uninstall, reboot, and reinstall from scratch of the lastest of
the 2.5.x or 3.0.x releases as available in that KB article. If you still
run into the same error about the agent service, I would be suspicious of
any recently installed 3rd-party software that might be incompatible.

--Karl

Re: [Micronet] Problem with AnyConnect Windows Client on Windows 7

Mike Friedman
Karl,

Thanks.  I've installed 3.0.1047 and it's working fine.

Sometimes this extra download or even attempted retrograde install happens
when an in-place upgrade is done rather than an uninstall plus re-install
cycle.

It's true that I had upgraded my client without first uninstalling the prior version.  However, the original problem symptoms occurred on the older client which had been working in the past.

Anyway, the new client looks good.  One small thing I notice, however, is that once I'm connected there appears to be no easy way to display, in the client, which tunnel (full or split) is in use
Of course, I can determine that the full tunnel is in effect by using tracert to a non-UC host, but the VPN client itself shows the tunnel information only when first connecting, unless I'm missing something.  A minor point, to be sure.

Thanks again.

Mike

On 5/3/2011 11:47 AM, Mike Friedman wrote:

> Anyway, the new client looks good.  One small thing I notice, however,
> is that once I'm connected there appears to be no easy way to display,
> in the client, which tunnel (full or split) is in use. Of course, I can
> determine that the full tunnel is in effect by using *tracert* to a
> non-UC host, but the VPN client itself shows the tunnel information only
> when first connecting, unless I'm missing something.  A minor point, to
> be sure.

Yes, admittedly one does need to know too much about the networking
details to infer much from the UI, but for networking geeks like you :-)
it's easy to infer that the split vs. full tunnel is in effect based on
the client's Advanced.../Statistics or Advanced.../Route Details panels.
The two are quite distinct in a couple of points:

   * the client IPv4 address is a RFC1918 one (10.136.x.x) for split vs.
a globally-routable address for the full tunnel (136.152.x.x)
   * the Secured Routes table on the Route Details tab shows only the
default destination (0.0.0.0) for the full tunnel vs. many secured
destinations for the split tunnel

--Karl