[Micronet] Questions about purchasing and support from Dell

[Micronet] Questions about purchasing and support from Dell

John Kim
I'm new to purchasing from Dell for departmental purchase, so I'm hoping
people can give me some guidance.

Pricing
-------
1. I've been spec'ing out the quotes by going to dell.com and going
through the "Higher Education" store.  Is this the price I will be
getting when our purchasing agent orders it, or does UCB receive some
additional discounts?

2. Dell's Small Business site currently has sales on PowerEdge servers
that make buying through the Small Business site cheaper than buying
through the Higher Ed store.  Are departments allowed to purchase from
the Small Business site, or are we restricted to Higher Ed pricing?

Support
-------
Most of what I see on their site regarding the various support options
appear to be written by marketing guys, with no real information.  So I
would appreciate it if anyone with recent interactions with Dell support
share their experiences.  What we're hoping to get is, if a component
were to fail on, say, Friday evening, that we can have the replacement
component in our hands within 24 hours, or next day on a Saturday, and
not have to wait until Monday.

>From the looks of it, the "ProSupport 4HR 7x24 Onsite: Non Mission
Critical" is the one we need.  Can anyone affirm/refute this assumption
based on their experiences?  And did they make you a lot of unnecessary
hoops to prove to them that a component has failed, delaying the
replacement longer than it should've taken?  Does the "4HR" mean that
they'll actually replace the part within 4 hours?

Thank you, in advance!
--
John Kim
System and Network Security

Re: [Micronet] Questions about purchasing and support from Dell

Jon Forrest
On 5/13/2011 10:27 PM, John Kim wrote:
> I'm new to purchasing from Dell for departmental purchase, so I'm hoping
> people can give me some guidance.

I'm not in a position of authority but I can tell
you about my experiences buying from Dell.

> Pricing
> -------
> 1. I've been spec'ing out the quotes by going to dell.com and going
> through the "Higher Education" store.  Is this the price I will be
> getting when our purchasing agent orders it, or does UCB receive some
> additional discounts?

This is probably the price you'll pay. Whether this is the best
price you can get is another issue.

> 2. Dell's Small Business site currently has sales on PowerEdge servers
> that make buying through the Small Business site cheaper than buying
> through the Higher Ed store.  Are departments allowed to purchase from
> the Small Business site, or are we restricted to Higher Ed pricing?

I've always bought from which ever part of Dell that had the best
price. This is what's so frustrating about buying from Dell. It's
like dealing with 4 separate companies, any of which might have
the same stuff as the other but at substantially different prices.
They compete against each other..

Good luck,
Jon

Re: [Micronet] Questions about purchasing and support from Dell

jon kuroda-2
Good to see that Dell maintains the same "consistent pricing model" for
Higher Education customers that I got from them 5 years ago:

        http://ls.berkeley.edu/mail/micronet/2006/0172.html

--Jon

On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 04:17:04PM -0700, Jon Forrest wrote:

> On 5/13/2011 10:27 PM, John Kim wrote:
> > I'm new to purchasing from Dell for departmental purchase, so I'm hoping
> > people can give me some guidance.
>
> I'm not in a position of authority but I can tell
> you about my experiences buying from Dell.
>
> > Pricing
> > -------
> > 1. I've been spec'ing out the quotes by going to dell.com and going
> > through the "Higher Education" store.  Is this the price I will be
> > getting when our purchasing agent orders it, or does UCB receive some
> > additional discounts?
>
> This is probably the price you'll pay. Whether this is the best
> price you can get is another issue.
>
> > 2. Dell's Small Business site currently has sales on PowerEdge servers
> > that make buying through the Small Business site cheaper than buying
> > through the Higher Ed store.  Are departments allowed to purchase from
> > the Small Business site, or are we restricted to Higher Ed pricing?
>
> I've always bought from which ever part of Dell that had the best
> price. This is what's so frustrating about buying from Dell. It's
> like dealing with 4 separate companies, any of which might have
> the same stuff as the other but at substantially different prices.
> They compete against each other..
>
> Good luck,
> Jon

Re: [Micronet] Questions about purchasing and support from Dell

Rune Stromsness
On 15-May-11 16:17, Jon Forrest wrote:

> On 5/13/2011 10:27 PM, John Kim wrote:
>> I'm new to purchasing from Dell for departmental purchase, so I'm hoping
>> people can give me some guidance.
>
> I'm not in a position of authority but I can tell
> you about my experiences buying from Dell.
>
>> Pricing
>> -------
>> 1. I've been spec'ing out the quotes by going to dell.com and going
>> through the "Higher Education" store.  Is this the price I will be
>> getting when our purchasing agent orders it, or does UCB receive some
>> additional discounts?
>
> This is probably the price you'll pay. Whether this is the best
> price you can get is another issue.
I've almost always (but not always) found that for server hardware from
Dell the prices through the UC agreement premier store to be lower than
those in the normal higher ed or small/medium business stores.  For
instance, I just priced a server at $8,030 through the higher ed store,
the same exact configuration is $6,339.69 through the UC agreement
premier store.

It looks like the link to use the premier store if you don't have a Dell
account already linked to the agreement is at:
http://www.tsw.berkeley.edu/eStore/default.tpl?cart=1305507255542097&id1=150&id2=159&startat=1&--woSECTIONSdatarq=159&--SECTIONSword=ww
(or, if that link doesn't work, I went to www.tsw.berkeley.edu, chose
"Purchasing Technology for Departments", then "Dell Computers").

>> 2. Dell's Small Business site currently has sales on PowerEdge servers
>> that make buying through the Small Business site cheaper than buying
>> through the Higher Ed store.  Are departments allowed to purchase from
>> the Small Business site, or are we restricted to Higher Ed pricing?
>
> I've always bought from which ever part of Dell that had the best
> price. This is what's so frustrating about buying from Dell. It's
> like dealing with 4 separate companies, any of which might have
> the same stuff as the other but at substantially different prices.
> They compete against each other..
I usually find better prices in the UC premier store.  But that store
sometimes is missing options, or has broken configuration logic such
that it says that the combination of options you want isn't valid (even
though the normal higher ed and small/medium business stores will let
you configure the system that exact way).

> Good luck,
> Jon

Rune

On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 06:01:15PM -0700, Rune Stromsness wrote:

> On 15-May-11 16:17, Jon Forrest wrote:
> > On 5/13/2011 10:27 PM, John Kim wrote:
> >> I'm new to purchasing from Dell for departmental purchase, so I'm hoping
> >> people can give me some guidance.
> >
> > I'm not in a position of authority but I can tell
> > you about my experiences buying from Dell.
> >
> >> Pricing
> >> -------
> >> 1. I've been spec'ing out the quotes by going to dell.com and going
> >> through the "Higher Education" store.  Is this the price I will be
> >> getting when our purchasing agent orders it, or does UCB receive some
> >> additional discounts?
> >
> > This is probably the price you'll pay. Whether this is the best
> > price you can get is another issue.
>
> I've almost always (but not always) found that for server hardware from
> Dell the prices through the UC agreement premier store to be lower than
> those in the normal higher ed or small/medium business stores.  For
> instance, I just priced a server at $8,030 through the higher ed store,
> the same exact configuration is $6,339.69 through the UC agreement
> premier store.
>
> It looks like the link to use the premier store if you don't have a Dell
> account already linked to the agreement is at:
> http://www.tsw.berkeley.edu/eStore/default.tpl?cart=1305507255542097&id1=150&id2=159&startat=1&--woSECTIONSdatarq=159&--SECTIONSword=ww
> (or, if that link doesn't work, I went to www.tsw.berkeley.edu, chose
> "Purchasing Technology for Departments", then "Dell Computers").

Actually, that's a link from TSW's e-commerce mgmt doohickey and
is ephemeral.  Once you get click through, you get to a page for
Dell info, including this link:

        http://www.tsw.berkeley.edu/eStore/dell_dept.tpl

CalNet Authentication is requested before passing you on to Dell

This is the URL I use (well until it ever changes)

--Jon