Quantcast

[Micronet] Quick Survey - use of Open Text products Exceed and Secure Shell

[Micronet] Quick Survey - use of Open Text products Exceed and Secure Shell

Richard Poliak

UC Berkeley has a contract with a vendor Open Text. The current maintenance contract expires the end of June 2016.

Before renewing the contract I wanted to get some idea as to the use of the Open Text products.

The contract includes:

·         Host Explorer- A TN3270 emulator primarily for access to the UCOP mainframe system

·         Exceed – Access to xWindows applications

·         Secure Shell – SSH encryption support for various applications

My questions are:

1.       Have you installed Secure Shell on your workstation?

If yes…

·         do you use Secure Shell with Exceed or with some other software?

·         Do you use Secure Shell for encryption with the UCOP mainframe?

2.       If you have not installed Secure Shell from Open Text do you use another SSH tool ?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Rich Poliak

Manager Production Control Shared Service Center

UCSF/UCOP/UCB
Infrastructure Services, IS&T
UC Berkeley

2195 Hearst Avenue

Berkeley, CA 94720

Office: (510) 643-8168
Cell:   (510) 812-5301

To learn more about Micronet, please visit the Micronet Web site: http://micronet.berkeley.edu

Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet. This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Micronet" group.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/a/lists.berkeley.edu/group/micronet-list/.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/lists.berkeley.edu/d/msgid/micronet-list/81c50a41729e5b7368b69c1e25776a01%40mail.gmail.com.

Re: [Micronet] Quick Survey - use of Open Text products Exceed and Secure Shell

Ian Crew
Hi Rich:

Am I correct in remembering that these products are all Windows-only?  (Asking for the benefit of the Mac users in the audience.)

For me, as a Mac user, I use the Mac OS Terminal app for SSH and XQuartz (https://www.xquartz.org) for the—increasingly rare—times I need an xWindows server.

Cheers,

Ian

On May 6, 2016, at 8:38 AM, Richard POLIAK <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

ANNOUNCEMENTS: To send announcements to the Micronet list, please use the [hidden email] list.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Micronet" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To post to this group, send email to [hidden email].
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/a/lists.berkeley.edu/group/micronet-list/.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/lists.berkeley.edu/d/msgid/micronet-list/81c50a41729e5b7368b69c1e25776a01%40mail.gmail.com.

___
Ian Crew

IST-Architecture, Platforms and Integration (API)
Earl Warren Hall, Second Floor

To learn more about Micronet, please visit the Micronet Web site: http://micronet.berkeley.edu

Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet. This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Micronet" group.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/a/lists.berkeley.edu/group/micronet-list/.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/lists.berkeley.edu/d/msgid/micronet-list/C262E4B3-5D79-4527-84E5-7150620170B9%40berkeley.edu.

Re: [Micronet] Quick Survey - use of Open Text products Exceed and Secure Shell

Since I have a Mac in the office, Terminal does 90% of my SSH needs,
with a graphical SFTP client eg. FileZilla handling the rest. I also
have XQuartz so the X Windows side is covered. I can always start a slim
Linux graphic VM if I really need it. I doubt I am the typical target
for this question!

At home the boot OS is Windows, and there I use Putty a lot (most of my
OSX/Unix/Linux access is command line), WinSCP, or just open up a Linux VM.

I have no work need for a TN3270 emulator. There are tools like
http://x3270.bgp.nu/index.html around, but I have never had need to use
them. This particular example is not going to be plug and play.

I suspect the TN3270 emulation is the sticking point - there are
alternatives to SSH and X Windows - but if one needs mainframe access,
then one really needs it.

Graham

On 5/6/16 8:38 AM, Richard POLIAK wrote:

> UC Berkeley has a contract with a vendor Open Text. The current
> maintenance contract expires the end of June 2016.
>
> Before renewing the contract I wanted to get some idea as to the use of
> the Open Text products.
>

> The contract includes:
>
> ·         Host Explorer- A TN3270 emulator primarily for access to the
> UCOP mainframe system
>
> ·         Exceed – Access to xWindows applications
>
> ·         Secure Shell – SSH encryption support for various applications
>

> My questions are:
>
> 1.       Have you installed Secure Shell on your workstation?
>
> If yes…
>
> ·         do you use Secure Shell with Exceed or with some other software?
>
> ·         Do you use Secure Shell for encryption with the UCOP mainframe?
>

> 2.       If you have not installed Secure Shell from Open Text do you
> use another SSH tool ?
>

> Thanks in advance for your responses.
>

> Rich Poliak
>
> Manager Production Control Shared Service Center
>
> UCSF/UCOP/UCB
> Infrastructure Services, IS&T
> UC Berkeley
>
> 2195 Hearst Avenue
>
> Berkeley, CA 94720
>
> Office: (510) 643-8168
> Cell:   (510) 812-5301

> and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.
> This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,
>
> ANNOUNCEMENTS: To send announcements to the Micronet list, please use
> the [hidden email] list.
> ---
> Groups "Micronet" group.
> an email to [hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>.
> <mailto:[hidden email]>.
> Visit this group at
> https://groups.google.com/a/lists.berkeley.edu/group/micronet-list/.
> https://groups.google.com/a/lists.berkeley.edu/d/msgid/micronet-list/81c50a41729e5b7368b69c1e25776a01%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/a/lists.berkeley.edu/d/msgid/micronet-list/81c50a41729e5b7368b69c1e25776a01%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
> For more options, visit
> https://groups.google.com/a/lists.berkeley.edu/d/optout.

Rm 111, Lawrence Hall of Science, UC Berkeley   510-643-1984
puzzles, and the meteorite..." - used to be the directions to my office.

To learn more about Micronet, please visit the Micronet Web site: http://micronet.berkeley.edu

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Micronet" group.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/a/lists.berkeley.edu/group/micronet-list/.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/lists.berkeley.edu/d/msgid/micronet-list/b3d6c737-fe06-ca44-c758-58cfe86b8114%40berkeley.edu.

RE: [Micronet] Quick Survey - use of Open Text products Exceed and Secure Shell

Daniel Companeetz

Hi Richard,

I did not know of the contract. These are all Windows applications.

I use

·         Open Source putty (http://www.putty.org/) for the SSH stack, including generating and managing my personal ssh keys.

·         Open Source Xming (http://www.straightrunning.com/XmingNotes/) instead of Exceed, and

·         rarely use TN3270 emulators, but I use a web based utility provided by the UCOP Maiframe team (http://hod.ucop.edu/hod/mainframewebstart.html). I do not know if it has a cost or requires licensing.

Putty and Xming work well together.

While there is a command line tool for sftp in the putty suite, I also use the Open Source FileZilla Client (https://filezilla-project.org/ ) to transfer files using a graphical interface, if I need one. It supports SFTP and a host of other protocols.

For a graphical interface for PGP (you did not ask, but being thorough), I use Linoma’s Open PGP Studio (http://www.goanywheremft.com/products/openpgp-studio), another free software.

Installation of some of these tools in the Berkeley environment require admin rights to the desktop, so I opened tickets with the Desktop Support team when that was needed, or a significant patch is required. I would be delighted to see that these FREE tools are added to the standard suite and that patches and upgrades are deployed via the BigFix tool.

Hope this helps!

Daniel Companeetz, BS

Production Control Systems Administrator - Lead Architect

Infrastructure Services, IS&T

UCB/UCOP/UCSF/UCPath

2195 Hearst Avenue #330B

Berkeley, CA 94720

Office: +1 (510) 664-7480

Cell: +1 (510) 725-1790

email: [hidden email]

http://ist.berkeley.edu/is/platforms/pcssc

Scheduled Unavailability: 10/8/16 – 10/24/16

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/lists.berkeley.edu/d/msgid/micronet-list/8fc7fe3a72886087a8f05a256d2e74da%40mail.gmail.com.

Re: [Micronet] Quick Survey - use of Open Text products Exceed and Secure Shell

Carrie SALAZAR
Yes, a mac user using the OS X terminal with extended mac tools for all my needs. In the old days on windows I just used cygwin with putty.

--
Carrie Salazar

Web Development & Digital Communications
Summer Sessions, Study Abroad & Lifelong Learning
University of California Berkeley

On Fri, May 6, 2016 at 8:42 AM, Ian Crew <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Office: <a href="tel:%28510%29%20643-8168" value="+15106438168" target="_blank">(510) 643-8168
Cell:   <a href="tel:%28510%29%20812-5301" value="+15108125301" target="_blank">(510) 812-5301

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/lists.berkeley.edu/d/msgid/micronet-list/CAJJmpuwgZFz9gmMDTGb8M5P05Pozh7Vkai5GQdBE0u-dX-v4vA%40mail.gmail.com.

RE: [Micronet] Quick Survey - use of Open Text products Exceed and Secure Shell

Richard Poliak

Ian;

Indeed yes, these products are Windows-only.

Rich

Rich Poliak

Manager Production Control Shared Service Center

UCSF/UCOP/UCB
Infrastructure Services, IS&T
UC Berkeley

2195 Hearst Avenue