[Micronet] RAM for "Broadcom" machines (Tyan S2882 motherboards).

[Micronet] RAM for "Broadcom" machines (Tyan S2882 motherboards).

Luis Torres
Hi Micronet,

Does anyone know whether the old Broadcom machines using Tyan motherboards
support Non-ECC Ram as well as ECC Ram?  We’re trying to upgrade some old
servers but the RAM chips in them are not marked with any useful information.
When running Memtest or any other memory scanner, I get an “ECC off” flag,
hence my question.

Thanks!

-----
Luis Torres
Systems Administrator PATH/ICM, UC Berkeley
[hidden email]
x25790

Re: [Micronet] RAM for "Broadcom" machines (Tyan S2882 motherboards).

Graham Patterson

The ones I have seen use Tyan s2882 motherboards. The documentation for
that motherboard says

Memory
? 128-bit DDR dual-channel memory bus
? Total eight 184-pin 2.5-Volt DDR DIMM
sockets (4 on CPU1 and 4 on CPU2)
? Registered, ECC modules supported
? Supports PC2100, PC2700,
and PC 3200* DDR
? Supports up to 16GB of Single/Dual
Rank and 32GB** of Quad Rank
memory
* With Opteron 246 C-stepping CPUand
above

And:

Here are a few key points to note before installing memory into your
Thunder K8SD
Pro:
· Always install memory beginning with CPU1_DIMM1
· In order to access memory on CPU2 DIMM1-4, Both processors must be
installed.
· Memory in CPU2 DIMM1-4 is not required when running dual CPU
configuration.
· AMD OpteronTM processors support 64bit (non-interleaved) or 128bit
(interleaved) memory configurations
· 128MB, 256MB, 512MB, 1GB, 2GB and 4GB* Reg/ECC PC2100, PC2700, and
PC3200** modules are supported.
· All installed memory will be automatically detected.
· The Thunder K8SD Pro supports up to 32GB^.
* NOTE: 4GB PC3200 modules are not validated at the time of print.
**NOTE: With Opteron 246 C-stepping CPU and above.
^NOTE: Not validated at the time of release.

There are restrictions on slots depending on the number of CPUs
installed. The usits can take both registered and non-registered memory.
The registered units have a couple of horizontal chips just above the
location key slot.

I flashed the BIOS on the ones I used to allow SATA drives >1TB, and
pulled the SCSI backplane.

Graham