[Micronet] Reading old 800K Mac Floppies.

[Micronet] Reading old 800K Mac Floppies.

Luis Torres
Hi Folks,

We are trying to get information from one of our researchers off of a couple of old 800k DD mac floppies (as in Mac OS 7/8) but our "PC" USB floppy drives won't read them.  Any suggestions on
what could be done?  Some forums suggest that only Mac-attached floppy drives
can read such disks but we don't have computers that old in the office.

Thanks!

--
-----
Luis Torres

To learn more about Micronet, please visit the Micronet Web site: http://micronet.berkeley.edu

Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet. This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Micronet" group.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/a/lists.berkeley.edu/group/micronet-list/.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/lists.berkeley.edu/d/msgid/micronet-list/CAAnkOUSNQPrk74O6iSy%3DT1CKCGJ4xREM6QDSXDXCaroJNBub1Q%40mail.gmail.com.

Re: [Micronet] Reading old 800K Mac Floppies.

Ian Crew
http://www.drivesaversdatarecovery.com/data-recovery-services/devices-supported/removable-media-data-recovery/, maybe?

(Or maybe someone around here has an ancient, but still functional, mac with a 800K floppy drive and the ability to transfer files from there to something else more modern?)

Ian

On Jul 13, 2016, at 1:56 PM, Luis Torres <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

___
Ian Crew

IST-Architecture, Platforms and Integration (API)
Earl Warren Hall, Second Floor

To learn more about Micronet, please visit the Micronet Web site: http://micronet.berkeley.edu

Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet. This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Micronet" group.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/a/lists.berkeley.edu/group/micronet-list/.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/lists.berkeley.edu/d/msgid/micronet-list/3D503F4C-FFBD-4D1E-9049-8E79322C00C3%40berkeley.edu.

Re: [Micronet] Reading old 800K Mac Floppies.

Even if you could get the files off, you may have fun reading them. I
may have something that would read them in the equipment 'archive'. I
might even have a working floppy drive on a 68000 mac at home.

Graham

On 7/13/16 1:56 PM, Luis Torres wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>

> We are trying to get information from one of our researchers off of a
> couple of old 800k DD mac floppies (as in Mac OS 7/8) but our "PC" USB
> floppy drives won't read them.  Any suggestions on
> what could be done?  Some forums suggest that only Mac-attached floppy
> drives
> can read such disks but we don't have computers that old in the office.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> -----
> Luis Torres
> System Administrator
> Department of Statistics, UC Berkeley.

> and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.
> This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,
>
> ANNOUNCEMENTS: To send announcements to the Micronet list, please use
> the [hidden email] list.
> ---
> Groups "Micronet" group.
> an email to [hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>.
> <mailto:[hidden email]>.
> Visit this group at
> https://groups.google.com/a/lists.berkeley.edu/group/micronet-list/.
> https://groups.google.com/a/lists.berkeley.edu/d/msgid/micronet-list/CAAnkOUSNQPrk74O6iSy%3DT1CKCGJ4xREM6QDSXDXCaroJNBub1Q%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/a/lists.berkeley.edu/d/msgid/micronet-list/CAAnkOUSNQPrk74O6iSy%3DT1CKCGJ4xREM6QDSXDXCaroJNBub1Q%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
> For more options, visit
> https://groups.google.com/a/lists.berkeley.edu/d/optout.

Rm 111, Lawrence Hall of Science, UC Berkeley   510-643-1984
puzzles, and the meteorite..." - used to be the directions to my office.

To learn more about Micronet, please visit the Micronet Web site: http://micronet.berkeley.edu

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Micronet" group.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/a/lists.berkeley.edu/group/micronet-list/.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/lists.berkeley.edu/d/msgid/micronet-list/ca8d0f1a-c629-ece0-a9fa-312ffbca10ee%40berkeley.edu.

Re: [Micronet] Reading old 800K Mac Floppies.

jon kuroda-2
Mac Floppy Drives were variable speed depending where the drive head
was in relation to the center of the floppy to achieve more density.

Somewhere at home I still have my old mac centris/quadra 650.

I'll see if still boots. I ran NetBSD/mac68 on it, so it may need to
be reinstalled with Mac OS 7/8.

--Jon

On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 01:56:35PM -0700, Luis Torres wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>

> We are trying to get information from one of our researchers off of a
> couple of old 800k DD mac floppies (as in Mac OS 7/8) but our "PC" USB
> floppy drives won't read them.  Any suggestions on
> what could be done?  Some forums suggest that only Mac-attached floppy
> drives
> can read such disks but we don't have computers that old in the office.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> -----
> Luis Torres
> System Administrator
> Department of Statistics, UC Berkeley.

To learn more about Micronet, please visit the Micronet Web site: http://micronet.berkeley.edu

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Micronet" group.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/a/lists.berkeley.edu/group/micronet-list/.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/lists.berkeley.edu/d/msgid/micronet-list/20160713210354.GK32291%40linterm.CS.Berkeley.EDU.

RE: [Micronet] Reading old 800K Mac Floppies.

Daniel Companeetz
You may want to contact to see if they have a way to read old media.

https://themade.org/ They are in Oakland

http://www.computerhistory.org/ They are in Mountain View.

Daniel Companeetz, BS
Production Control Systems Administrator - Lead Architect
Infrastructure Services, IS&T
UCB/UCOP/UCSF/UCPath
2195 Hearst Avenue #330B
Berkeley, CA 94720
Office: +1 (510) 664-7480
Cell: +1 (510) 725-1790
email: [hidden email]
http://ist.berkeley.edu/is/platforms/pcssc
Scheduled Unavailability: 8/5-8/7, 8/19-8/21

Mac Floppy Drives were variable speed depending where the drive head was in
relation to the center of the floppy to achieve more density.

Somewhere at home I still have my old mac centris/quadra 650.

I'll see if still boots. I ran NetBSD/mac68 on it, so it may need to be
reinstalled with Mac OS 7/8.

--Jon

On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 01:56:35PM -0700, Luis Torres wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>

> We are trying to get information from one of our researchers off of a
> couple of old 800k DD mac floppies (as in Mac OS 7/8) but our "PC" USB
> floppy drives won't read them.  Any suggestions on what could be done?
> Some forums suggest that only Mac-attached floppy drives can read such
> disks but we don't have computers that old in the office.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> -----
> Luis Torres
> System Administrator
> Department of Statistics, UC Berkeley.

the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means
these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective
employers, and people who have known you in the past.

ANNOUNCEMENTS: To send announcements to the Micronet list, please use the
[hidden email] list.
---
"Micronet" group.
email to [hidden email].
Visit this group at
https://groups.google.com/a/lists.berkeley.edu/group/micronet-list/.
https://groups.google.com/a/lists.berkeley.edu/d/msgid/micronet-list/20160713210354.GK32291%40linterm.CS.Berkeley.EDU.
For more options, visit
https://groups.google.com/a/lists.berkeley.edu/d/optout.

To learn more about Micronet, please visit the Micronet Web site: http://micronet.berkeley.edu

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Micronet" group.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/a/lists.berkeley.edu/group/micronet-list/.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/lists.berkeley.edu/d/msgid/micronet-list/e97d77e5f99b3c2353bc4cb95aabcc2c%40mail.gmail.com.

Re: [Micronet] Reading old 800K Mac Floppies.

Aron Roberts
Close to campus, two other possibilities worth contacting, either of which *might* still have an old Mac capable of reading those diskettes (you can call either/both to check):

M.A.C.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/m-a-c-berkeley

The Used Computer Store
http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-used-computer-store-berkeley

There's also a summary table of what Mac OS versions were capable of reading various diskette formats/capacities here (hardware permitting): http://siber-sonic.com/mac/newmillfloppy.html

Aron

P.S. In a pinch, it's likely I can dig up an old Mac sitting around somewhere in a cluttered closet at home with a 1.4 MB diskette drive that could conceivably read those 800 MB diskettes. So between Graham, Jon, and I, along with local retail stores and service providers, you can almost certainly find at least one way to pull off your researcher's data from those diskettes, Luis!

On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 2:14 PM, Daniel Companeetz <[hidden email]> wrote:
You may want to contact to see if they have a way to read old media.

https://themade.org/ They are in Oakland

http://www.computerhistory.org/ They are in Mountain View.

Daniel Companeetz, BS
Production Control Systems Administrator - Lead Architect
Infrastructure Services, IS&T
UCB/UCOP/UCSF/UCPath
2195 Hearst Avenue #330B
Berkeley, CA 94720
Office: <a href="tel:%2B1%20%28510%29%20664-7480" value="+15106647480">+1 (510) 664-7480
Cell: <a href="tel:%2B1%20%28510%29%20725-1790" value="+15107251790">+1 (510) 725-1790
> [...]

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Micronet" group.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/a/lists.berkeley.edu/group/micronet-list/.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/lists.berkeley.edu/d/msgid/micronet-list/e97d77e5f99b3c2353bc4cb95aabcc2c%40mail.gmail.com.

To learn more about Micronet, please visit the Micronet Web site: http://micronet.berkeley.edu

Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet. This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Micronet" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/lists.berkeley.edu/d/msgid/micronet-list/CAGJh2S12xP-gD2frBEBTfS3AavP4kvf0eBVLhmMyPELB9AOPmQ%40mail.gmail.com.

[Micronet] Re: Reading old 800K Mac Floppies.

Luis Torres
Hello Folks,

Thank you all for taking the time in offering suggestions.  I'm going to follow up
on a few of them and hopefully the mystery of these disks can be solved.

Thanks again!

_Luis_

On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 1:56 PM, Luis Torres <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/lists.berkeley.edu/d/msgid/micronet-list/CAAnkOUSyLda8cSYBwZdfW%2B6JjTw8Y6ARpqx0D4SXjtxxZo16pA%40mail.gmail.com.

Re: [Micronet] Reading old 800K Mac Floppies.

Michael Ball
This is interesting!

You might have seen these, but here are some links. The comment on the answer suggests that "any" Mac with a floppy drive would work - in which case, you might be able to find some PowerMac G3's or G4's around more easily. For 800K ones, Classic supposedly works, which means you could get away with an OS running  10.4 Tiger, and maybe even Leopard, but that could take some work.

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/40163/which-usb-floppy-drives-can-read-hfs-formatted-400k-800k-floppies
http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/most-modern-mac-to-write-to-800k-floppies.1653835/#post-18135785

Apple also used to sell an external USB floppy drives for iMacs. Those seem like they shouldn't be terribly hard to find, but that does mean you would still need a PowerPC mac running 10.4.

The Computer History Museum honestly sounds like a reasonable route.

Michael Ball | michaelball.co

UC Berkeley: Computer Science, B.A. 2015, M.S 2016

m: (909) 993-3988

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/lists.berkeley.edu/d/msgid/micronet-list/1lu6z0dsz78iic7ulor4pf4uv-2147483647%40mailer.nylas.com.