[Micronet] Remote Desktop Connection

Ivan Ordonez
Hi,

Do you guys know of a good remote desktop connection software we can
use?  We would like to connect remotely on a client computer, control
their machine and see their desktop without kicking them out.

Thanks in advance.

-Ivan

Re: [Micronet] Remote Desktop Connection

Jon Forrest
On 10/11/2010 2:16 PM, Ivan Ordonez wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Do you guys know of a good remote desktop connection software we can
> use?  We would like to connect remotely on a client computer, control
> their machine and see their desktop without kicking them out.

What's wrong with Microsoft Windows? Windows 7 includes
the remote desktop connection, and you can download it
if you're using an earlier version of Windows.

Cordially,
--
Jon Forrest
Research Computing Support

Re: [Micronet] Remote Desktop Connection

Richard Henderson
TeamViewer is pretty good:
http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx

--------------------
Richard Henderson           [hidden email]     510-642-5669
Technology Coordinator
Institute for Business Innovation
Haas School of Business, University of California, Berkeley

Re: [Micronet] Remote Desktop Connection

Guy D. VINSON
Try teamviewer...
---
Guy Vinson
Infrastructure & IT
College of Environmental Design
510-842-7199

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 2:16 PM, Ivan Ordonez <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Do you guys know of a good remote desktop connection software we can
use?  We would like to connect remotely on a client computer, control
their machine and see their desktop without kicking them out.

Thanks in advance.

-Ivan

Re: [Micronet] Remote Desktop Connection

Guy D. VINSON
Did I also mention it will work with a computer behind a router...
---
Guy Vinson
Infrastructure & IT
College of Environmental Design
510-842-7199

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 2:18 PM, guy vinson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Try teamviewer...
---
Guy Vinson
Infrastructure & IT
College of Environmental Design
510-842-7199

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 2:16 PM, Ivan Ordonez <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Do you guys know of a good remote desktop connection software we can
use?  We would like to connect remotely on a client computer, control
their machine and see their desktop without kicking them out.

Thanks in advance.

-Ivan

Re: [Micronet] Remote Desktop Connection

Michael Chung
Hi Ivan,

I've used CrossLoop (http://www.crossloop.com/) to provide remote assistance to friends and family on a fairly regular basis.  It's based on VNC, though all traffic is encrypted (so they claim). Though I'd be curious to see what others have been using.

Thanks,

Michael Chung
Systems Administrator
Haas Enterprise Computing & Service Management
[hidden email] | 510-643-3887

Do you guys know of a good remote desktop connection software we can use?  We would like to connect remotely on a client computer, control their machine and see their desktop without kicking them out.

Thanks in advance.

-Ivan

Re: [Micronet] Remote Desktop Connection

Robert Hiramoto
Hi Ivan,

I use both DameWare's Mini remote control for machines in my building:
http://www.dameware.com/products/dmrc/

And GoToAssist Express for machines outside:
http://www.gotoassist.com/en_US/entry.tmpl

Both are pretty low cost, and work well for my needs.

If you'd like to see these in action, let me know.

~Robert
On 10/11/10 2:16 PM, "Ivan Ordonez" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Do you guys know of a good remote desktop connection software we can
> use?  We would like to connect remotely on a client computer, control
> their machine and see their desktop without kicking them out.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> -Ivan

> visit the Micronet Web site:
>
> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the
> list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means these
> messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers,
> and people who have known you in the past.

~Robert
Robert Hiramoto
IT Manager
Institute for Research on Labor and Employment (IRLE)
University of California, Berkeley
2521 Channing Way #5555
Berkeley, CA 94720-5555

Phone:  (510) 643-3903
Fax:  (510) 642-6432

Office Hours:
Monday - Friday:  8:00 am to 4:00 pm

Re: [Micronet] Remote Desktop Connection

Micah Priddy
RealVnc for internal clients and logmein free for remote clients.

Micah Priddy
Analyst, Systems & Support
Cal Alumni Association
UC Berkeley
1 Alumni House, Berkeley, CA 94720
T 510.643.0237
F 510.642.6252
------------------
Visit alumni.berkeley.edu
------------------

I use both DameWare's Mini remote control for machines in my building:
http://www.dameware.com/products/dmrc/

And GoToAssist Express for machines outside:
http://www.gotoassist.com/en_US/entry.tmpl

Both are pretty low cost, and work well for my needs.

If you'd like to see these in action, let me know.

~Robert
On 10/11/10 2:16 PM, "Ivan Ordonez" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Do you guys know of a good remote desktop connection software we can
> use?  We would like to connect remotely on a client computer, control
> their machine and see their desktop without kicking them out.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> -Ivan

> meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>
> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable,
> and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.
> This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,

~Robert
Robert Hiramoto
IT Manager
Institute for Research on Labor and Employment (IRLE) University of
California, Berkeley
2521 Channing Way #5555
Berkeley, CA 94720-5555

Phone:  (510) 643-3903
Fax:  (510) 642-6432

Office Hours:
Monday - Friday:  8:00 am to 4:00 pm

meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:

http://micronet.berkeley.edu

Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable,
and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.
This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,
prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] Remote Desktop Connection

Richard DeShong-2
I use:  https://secure.logmein.com/

Their "LogMeIn Free" product will do what you stated.

--
Richard DeShong, Information Systems Analyst
Athletic Study Center, UC Berkeley

Re: [Micronet] Remote Desktop Connection

Ivan Ordonez
Thanks for all the response. We will try out some of the suggestions and
go from there.

You guys are awesome :)

Ivan Ordonez wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Do you guys know of a good remote desktop connection software we can
> use?  We would like to connect remotely on a client computer, control
> their machine and see their desktop without kicking them out.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> -Ivan

Re: [Micronet] Remote Desktop Connection

Jack Burris
I'm surprised the incredibly useful TIMBUKTU hasn't been mentioned:

http://www.netopia.com/software/products/tb2/

You can even do intercom and file sharing with your client.

Jack Burris
SSCL

On 10/11/2010 2:16 PM, Ivan Ordonez wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Do you guys know of a good remote desktop connection software we can
> use?  We would like to connect remotely on a client computer, control
> their machine and see their desktop without kicking them out.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> -Ivan

It is a bit embarrassing to have been concerned
with the human  problem all one's life and find
at the end that one has no more to  offer by way
of advice than 'try to be a little kinder.'
  --Aldous Huxley

Re: [Micronet] Remote Desktop Connection

Edgar Ortega
If the client is XP, Vista, or Win7 based... you can also use MS's built in
Remote Assistance. No need to download anything extra, and if RDP is already
configured through your firewall, then you're already set (if you're on the
CAMPUS domain, you can go one step further and add a GPO that has an
authorized list of people allowed to control via Remote Assistance).

You can also take it another step further and not bother with trying to talk
your clients through the steps of sending a request and instead initiate a
Remote Assistance session yourself by creating a shortcut using the
following as the path:

Target: %windir%\system32\msra.exe /offerra
Star In: %windir%

Then, all you need to know is the client's IP address and use that when
connecting. When you try to connect, the end user is notified of the attempt
to offer Remote Assistance, and they then can grant you access to view their
screen. You can then offer to take over control of their mouse and keyboard
by pressing a "Take Control" button, and the user has to grant you that as
well.

I use this all the time with our staff here on campus.

Good luck,
-Edgar Ortega

Re: [Micronet] Remote Desktop Connection

Edgar Ortega
Hmm.... seems the formatting of my message was garbled up somewhere in
transmission (or Outlook decided it would be great to ignore a carriage
return)

This is the shortcut info (hope if works this time)

Target: %windir%\system32\msra.exe /offerra

Start In: %windir%

Best,
Edgar

Re: [Micronet] Remote Desktop Connection

Gary Lum
  don't you have to enable the "offer unsolicited remote assistance" in
local or domain  group policy for this to work tho?

On 10/12/2010 10:10 AM, Edgar Ortega wrote:

> Hmm.... seems the formatting of my message was garbled up somewhere in
> transmission (or Outlook decided it would be great to ignore a carriage
> return)
>
> This is the shortcut info (hope if works this time)
>
> Target: %windir%\system32\msra.exe /offerra
>
> Start In: %windir%
>
> Best,
> Edgar

You're correct. That's what happens after a jetlagged cross-country flight
this AM... sorry about that.

Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Remote
Assistance

-Edgar